PDA

View Full Version : is the intercoler fan worth it?

Metalcorpse
03-20-2015, 10:06 PM
hi guys so since i have obtained my car i decided to do a slow and steady build. I was looking at some aftermarket cooling options and found the fan for the intercooler. is it a good investment or is there something better i could use?

KMT
03-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Stock intercooler? If so, see my comment (#15) in this thread: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?135060-10-overdrive-making-10lbs&p=1079918#post1079918

Keep in mind that in addition to a 7" 1100 cfm puller fan, I also installed a narrow condenser that doesn't block the stock intercooler.

boogeyman
03-20-2015, 11:27 PM
on a stock intercooler yes its well worth it, 8 inch fits best try and find the highest cfm rating you can to move as much air across the surface as possible you would be amazed at the amount of heat it pull off the intercooler sticking your hand behind it after a hard pull

potshotscott
03-21-2015, 02:11 AM
You mention cleaning the inside of the intercooler. How much gunk gets in there?

KMT
03-21-2015, 04:10 AM
It's normal to find oil puddled in the bottom outlet/tube on our cars when they've been in service for a while...like 25 years :)

Over time, this can coat the inside of the IC core, adding to the time it takes for heat to be transferred away. The inside was bright and shiny when new - the worse the buildup, the duller/darker it will appear when inspected.

If you're in the habit of keeping the exterior of your IC clean, then a flush every decade or so will do the same for the inside. You won't know how badly it's needed until you do it. An oil separator will help reduce the amount of oil that gets moved thru the intake, which in turn helps keep deposits out of the IC.

This can also be a good way to check for cracks/leaks, but if you can set it up, you can also use air pressure and a dunk tank as well.

boogeyman
03-21-2015, 11:39 AM
the first time i cleaned my intercooler out i filled it with purple power degreaser it was disgusting as hell i let it soak all afternoon then rinsed it with a garden hose and let sit the next day in the sun to dry out

1FSTBRD
03-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Heh heh, good timing--i'm about to install an IC fan on my DIC, as I'd just bought the relay, fuse and some tapping connectors. One thing that I know about my particular car (and others have probably noticed this) is that the difference in driving the car in between cooler late winter/ early spring temperatures and the heat soaked temperatures of the hottest days of summer seem to make a huge difference in power. I'm personally all for anything that will keep the temps down.

Another thing that seemed to make a small difference is removing the A/C condenser in front of the radiator, to improve flow through the radiator and intercooler. The A/C needed to be recharged in my car, so I just decided to ditch the A/C condenser for now and will likely take off the compressor when I get the time to do so. The temp gauge in the cluster isn't the most accurate thing to base things on (a datalog would be better), but my car runs more at in between the N and the O on the "norm", rather than in between the O and the R, which it ran at when I'd bought the car. It's only when in stop and go traffic where it's idling for a really long time that it gets up to in between the O and R or a bit above that.

Metalcorpse
03-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the replies guys I think i will get it. Also wondering if it's possible to make a "ram air" style tube for the air to hit the inter cooler directly. Not just a lip.

boogeyman
03-21-2015, 07:11 PM
i made a duct from below the front bumper to the intercooler using 6 inch dryer tube with a inline fan i had a 2.5x12 square duct feeding it worked great but hung too low and got smashed a few times so i took it off
with the inline fan and the fan on the intercooler on my dic i had a hard time getting over 140* act temps even when it was hot out

KMT
03-21-2015, 07:36 PM
I've contemplated ram-airing the IC intake, but the fan seems to move enough without it. At speed it would seem redundant, or maybe even restrictive. I just make sure the bellows is in good shape...no rips/not torn, etc. , not distorted and properly attached. I had to fiddle with the trim between it and the driver's side of the radiator a bit to seal things up there.

And getting back to the fan...the way the IC heat soaks, run the fan all the time, not just when you think it's needed - otherwise, by the time any additional cooling takes effect you may not need it as much as when you flipped the switch :)

1FSTBRD
03-21-2015, 10:02 PM
I had got my 8" fan up and running on my DIC, tonight--one thing that you notice is that it moves a ton of air, and you can hear it faintly when the car is idling. I wired mine so that it's always on, rather than having it on a switch.

As a test, I took the car out on the highway and had some pretty aggressive driving--had it up to 90 or so MPH--and a couple of more WOT blasts. This was a chilly spring night, but the intercooler tubing was less than lukewarm.....butter wouldn't have even melted very fast off of it, and the lower intake tube was actually cold, as if it the car was sitting and absorbing the ambient temps without any hot engine bay heat soak. The temp gauge was still in between the N and the O, and it wasn't until I was stopped for several minutes that it went between the O and the R (could hear the rad fan kick in and it dropped back to between the N and the O).

The car does feel like it's gained some power.....curve power, moreso (1500-3000 rpms), if not necessarily upper end power, but on the highway, the supercharger did seem to kick in a little more responsively and a little more aggressively. Another possible upside to the IC fan, is that with it drawing a constant stream of air out of the intercooler fins, i'm wondering if it doesn't help to aerate the engine/ engine bay a tad. The lower IC tube and driver's side exhaust manifold would be somewhat close to the fan; even closer on a DIC. I've always wondered how much ambient heat the lower IC tube picks up from the exhaust manifold.

KMT
03-21-2015, 10:24 PM
I've always wondered how much ambient heat the lower IC tube picks up from the exhaust manifold.

Got to be some, I think, in some cases. I installed a thin rectangular piece of heat barrier about 7" long on the lower tube, nearest the exhaust manifold, just for grins. Next time I have that tube out, I'll wrap the manifold in the same area.

1FSTBRD
03-22-2015, 12:22 AM
That may be a great idea to wrap that manifold, you're right. I was thinking of custom fabbing up some sort of metal shield with reflective aluminum tape in an either/ or scenario.

The thing that I was most impressed with tonight, is how little the motor seemed to be strained or what felt like not as much timing being pulled (1 to 2 degrees? Maybe?) so that the supercharger could really wind itself up. Even after a couple of WOT runs down the highway last week, you'd get the faint smell of hot oil coming into the car, indicating that the motor is working past its comfortable limits. I didn't smell that tonight. The fan is a fantastic addition, even if it is just for preventative measures on less strain on the engine.

KMT
03-22-2015, 01:10 AM
Low ACTs are a wonderful thing :)

boogeyman
03-22-2015, 01:38 AM
its too bad something like the killer chiller for a 03/04 cobra could not be adapted to our cars that would be great

KMT
03-22-2015, 01:47 AM
A lot of those types adapters, spray bars, etc. could be added/made to work (with aftermarket ICs, mostly, I think), but an IC fan on the stock unit is cheap, easy to install and just needs 12v to run. Great bang for the buck.

boogeyman
03-22-2015, 03:15 AM
i always thought that the a/c system could be used like they do for the killer chiller to pretty good effect, at least id think so they drive those cobra blowers super hard just as we do and the killer chiller works pretty damn well for them but im sure it would be a nightmare to try and make it work for us

1FSTBRD
03-22-2015, 12:25 PM
I'd looked for dyno results on this forum with a fan and some have said that there was no gains. On dyno testing with a fan and without it, I'm also wondering if hood up and dyno fan usage/ placement wouldn't nullify apparent gains, since there isn't any heat soak in the engine bay to pull timing--you wouldn't gain anything, but you wouldn't lose anything either. I'd consider this a mod that doesn't gain power, more as a mod that helps you not lose power. At the track, I'd think that there would be more consistent runs with the fan. It would be interesting to see what a DIC with intercooler fan on it would run on the track, as opposed to the stock IC with no fan. As shown in my ported plenum/ late model blower thread, I need all the cooling power that I can get without frying the HG's.

I have to thank this forum and Paul for the information in this diagram--it helped lots! Went to the auto store, got a relay/ relay socket, a fuse holder and fuse, some wire and some connectors/ butt splices. Took about an hour and 15 minutes to do.

bowez
03-22-2015, 02:13 PM
I still prefer to run relay ground to the OEM oil pressure sending unit. That way the fan only runs with engine rotating (yes it will come on with the starter).

I guess if really wanted to get fancy use the Oil pressure sending unit in the cooling system, that way fan won't come on until engine is properly warmed up (7PSI I would think would mean the temp is at normal operating condition).

KMT
03-22-2015, 02:48 PM
I'd consider this a mod that doesn't gain power, more as a mod that helps you not lose power.

That's the logic I follow.

1FSTBRD
03-23-2015, 08:44 PM
I still prefer to run relay ground to the OEM oil pressure sending unit. That way the fan only runs with engine rotating (yes it will come on with the starter).

I guess if really wanted to get fancy use the Oil pressure sending unit in the cooling system, that way fan won't come on until engine is properly warmed up (7PSI I would think would mean the temp is at normal operating condition).

That's another idea, too. I was also thinking about putting it on a switch....which I may eventually do. Maybe not. There might be the odd time where I want to have just the accessories on, for some reason, but i'm also struggling to think of why that may be. Even if I needed to just run the accessories for a minute, the fan wouldn't kill the battery.

KMT
03-23-2015, 08:48 PM
I was also thinking about putting it on a switch..

That's how mine is (relay, switched from the cabin & small green indicator on the A-pillar pod next to the dual intake temps gauge). I like the option if I need it.