Motor Mount Question

potshotscott

I've read a lot of threads on motor mounts. I've got my passenger mount out already (dropped the front sub frame). I started working on the driver side this afternoon. The bolts to the engine block are S T U C K!!! I went out to buy a brand new 1/2 six point socket and managed to slightly strip the bolt heads. Question is this - the mount looks pretty good, MUCH better than the passenger side. Which one gets beat up the most? I'm very leery of ruining things over on the passenger side and do not have time to pull the engine out.

I think I'll be good leaving the driver side alone. Can anyone confirm that the passenger side is the one that takes most of the abuse?

I think the driver's side takes the most beating. Mine was shot and the pass. side was fine. Ended up doing both to be sure. Maybe yours was done before and they left the pass. side for later?

Is it already riding on the stop tang?

Want me to come by and take a look/give a second opinion?

Oh man - I'm half tempted to have you come down to Eugene if you're heading down south anyway. My wife's a little uptight with strangers but I'd be good having you look. The passenger side was all the way to the tangs. I'll take a second look but am pretty sure the driver side is still up in the air. It is possible that the driver side was serviced once before. This car was well maintained before I got it.

I'll have to get the passenger side put back together and mate the sub frame back into the car to see if there's clearance and how much on the driver side.

Ah...sorry, thought you were here in Salem.

Can you tell if the fluid has leaked out?

Not sure on the driver side. I know for sure the fluid was gone on the passenger side. I have a different idea I'm going to try after church. I think I can replace the rubber portion of the mount with the metal mount bracket still in the car. I can get plenty of clearance when I drop the sub frame so I think that's the way I'll make it work. Even if you're not here in person this correspondence helps clear my head and keep me on the right track. Thanks.

Seems like a lot more work to drop the sub-frame, but...I think it should make for a lot more room to work too. That top nut on the mount stud might be a pain to get to in the car in any case. They're hard enough when you have the entire mount out.

Stick with it and good luck.

Ken

Thanks for the encouragement. I finally got the entire driver side mount off the engine block in one piece. It is definitely aftermarket! All I need to do now is get into the fastener store tomorrow to buy brand new bolts and some loc-tite. I'm pretty stoked. It's all coming together. Appreciate it Ken.

Both mounts replaced and the sub frame is back in the car. I can't believe how high the engine is compared to last week before I did the mounts - unbelievable! Now if I can only get two of the same upper control arm! I keep ordering what look like pairs (sequential part numbers) and keep getting mismatch crap. First I ordered Moog brand and got two Moog boxes with different mismatch parts. Then I order ACDelco - same thing. Sooooo annoyed. It'll come together though.

Sorry if I missed it...hows the trans mount? Did it suffer from the engine being down/tweaked?

Trans mount looks good - not sure if I want to drop the exhaust again (did last year to swap trans out). I did order a new trans mount from Summit - I might swap it out. The big bummer is the rubber components on the trans mounting assembly (the two bolts that go into the car) are weak. The large mount seems good. Were they fluid filled from the factory too?

I wondered the same thing - don't quote me, but I don't think the trans mount was fluid filled like the motor mounts.

After I did my motor mounts, the trans mount looked like it was under new stress after sitting at an angle & taking a weird set for who knows how long, so I replaced it too. I did mine w/the exhaust in place. I also found the outer isolators had seen better days, so I found a good used pair of those and did them too.

I'm not sure about the SC, but my n/a v6 had a fluid-filled trans mount. There are solid rubber ones available, as are motor mounts. There are also replacement (polyurethane) crossmember bushings available.

I wondered the same thing - don't quote me, but I don't think the trans mount was fluid filled like the motor mounts.

After I did my motor mounts, the trans mount looked like it was under new stress after sitting at an angle & taking a weird set for who knows how long, so I replaced it too. I did mine w/the exhaust in place. I also found the outer isolators had seen better days, so I found a good used pair of those and did them too.

Where did you find the outer isolators? A wreckers?

You've got me interested jco1385 - where did you get your crossmember bushings?

Back