The Wife and my SC

jjklongisland

So my wife Jenn (been married 11 years) knows how much I love cars. I drive her crazy with our daily drivers because I am 36 years old and have owned over 36 cars... She's a mustang girl and never really understood my liking of my Supercoupe. To be honest I never really had a desire to own a supercoupe. I never paid much attention to them. My moms cousin was the original owner of my SC. He special ordered his SC back in 1988 and it was his passion. He loved his car and it always put a smile on his face. Unfortunately he only got to enjoy his car for a few short years before his untimely death. When he passed away his sister took the car over. I remember her caring for his car with great passion because she new how important the car was to him. Matter of fact as I reminisce I recall one time she came to visit my mom and knowing what a car nut I was she asked me if I wanted to learn how to drive stick. I didnt even have a learners permit but she trusted me anyways. I got to drive the car up and down my block and was a natural. I never thought in a million year I would be driving that very same car many years later. A few years ago she moved to Connecticut and kept the SC at her in-laws garage (it was always garaged since new and never drove in bad weather). A the months passed she felt she was neglecting the car by not driving her at least on the weekends. She new I would give the car the proper attention it deserved and asked me if I was interested in buying it from her. I bought it for $1500. She would have just given it to me but she needed to buy her daughter her first car and I felt it was only right to give her at least that. The deal was contingent upon me never selling the car. If I was to sell it I had to offer it back to her first. That was two years ago. Since owning the car, I like most of you, found a new kind of respect for the Supercoupe. I keep her informed of all of her modifications and she says her brother Franky would be proud. Now getting back to the point of my post, my wife has never showed interest in my SC. She knows it makes me happy and just pacifies me on when I make a mod and tell her about my excitement. She has only been in the car a few times. Last night it was nice out and my boy wanted us to take the SC to my in-laws for dinner. She sighed and relented. Well I wound up drinking alot of Jack Daniels Honey with my fatherinlaw and got pretty loaded. I said honey, its your turn to drive Francine (thats my Supercoupes name after my cousin Franky). Well she growled and got in the drivers seat adjusting it for what felt like 10 minutes. I asked her if she remembered how to drive stick and I received a nasty comment back. She then let off the clutch slowly and off we went. As she was driving it I could see her start to smile. I said you actually liking this arent you? She said yeah, it drives alot better than I thought and brought her back to her high school days. I tried to get her to goose it a few times but she just wanted to drive it normal. It was nice to see her start to feel what I feel when I drive it...

:D:D:D

Great story but man - I'm thinking this could be a slippery slope. She kinda liked it. Wait until she asks you to drive it somewhere next week, and then again and again. Before you know it she might try to claim it as her car.

I had a 93 LX when I first met my wife. Every time my wife gets in my SC with me she says its like time travel. Good stuff!

Great story but man - I'm thinking this could be a slippery slope. She kinda liked it. Wait until she asks you to drive it somewhere next week, and then again and again. Before you know it she might try to claim it as her car.

I had a 93 LX when I first met my wife. Every time my wife gets in my SC with me she says its like time travel. Good stuff!

She would have to battle my 8 year old for it. My son keeps asking me if that is going to be his first car. I keep telling him that he needs to earn his first car. Save up like his daddy did and buy a car. Even if its a junk box he will never appreciate it unless he paid for it. Depending on how he treats his first car will show me if he deserves the right to share ownership with me of my supercoupe... lol

pretty cool story, my misses absolutely despises the supercoupes, not only does she not like their body style she absolutely hates that they come before her (to a point) and she knows it

my mom and 2 brothers absolutely love the supercoupes, when my moms truck was in an accident i let her drive my titanium 91 back and forth to work, after her truck was fixed she continued to drive the supercoupe for the next 6 months, I had to cancel the insurance on it and turn the plate in just to get it back, similar story with my brothers, I let them each borrow one for the weekend and didn't get it back for a few months when I found out they were racing.

If you have good suspension, cold a/c, and good tunes (as in music) in a supercoupe its hard to even consider driving anything else

age matters.

My wife and I are 68 years old so enjoyment of the car, while still way up there is being tempered a bit by the effort to get down low enough to enter and exit it......enjoy it while it's not a major effort to get in and out of it....

pretty cool story, my misses absolutely despises the supercoupes, not only does she not like their body style she absolutely hates that they come before her (to a point) and she knows it

my mom and 2 brothers absolutely love the supercoupes, when my moms truck was in an accident i let her drive my titanium 91 back and forth to work, after her truck was fixed she continued to drive the supercoupe for the next 6 months, I had to cancel the insurance on it and turn the plate in just to get it back, similar story with my brothers, I let them each borrow one for the weekend and didn't get it back for a few months when I found out they were racing.

If you have good suspension, cold a/c, and good tunes (as in music) in a supercoupe its hard to even consider driving anything else

My wife hates my red SC she liked it when it was bone stock and alot nicer than everything else we had (many years ago!) but it has literally spent more time apart and broken than ever been drove. I've had the car since 03 i beleive and i havent put 20k on it. The five speed has been a damn reliable car! BUT she also dislikes it and wont drive it! if its behind the mustang she will goto great lengths to move it out of her way just not drive it even across town. She bitches about the transmission being crap to shift and the hydraulic clutch making it hard to drive etc.. I always think she is exaggerating.... then i drive the Cobra and i'm like 'uhh yeah she was right the tranny does suck and so does the clutch in the sc" but..... the cobra rattles your teath from the crap ride...And it has no room in it.... The kids always get in a argument because they are in each others space... The SC is way more comfertable and alot better on gas. I guess i'm getting old but for all the driving i do i honestly prefer the SC over the cobra! I like driving it for a day but i get tired of it really fast :) I guess the fact that i could have bought two cobra's for what i have in the red SC pisses her off... and the fact that its still sitting around with no engine... ohh well man has to spend money on something

My wife has a love hate with my car. Loves the Power but hates the ride, being lowered and the maintenance. I really need to get her 5.0 fixed....

As for first car I agree don't give him one--help but not give. My parents got the loan for my first car, a Tempo, but I paid every payment for it. Even now my dad got a 14 F150 and I still will have to buy the 90 F150 from him--yes it is way below market value so I'm fine with it.

Great story! I think that most people would change their mind if they could feel how the car feels to drive--being behind the wheel and taking control of it. What I love about these cars is that they are so smooth in their acceleration and they really feel like the well engineered and well thought out cars that they were designed to be, all those years ago. They still feel like a modern car---try saying that about most other cars of that era.

x2

going from my supercoupe to my brand spankin new 2015 gmc 1500 theres no comparison, I'd rather drive the SC over the gmc any day

I'm not married and most likely never will be.....I have to admit, if there was a choice between the car and the girl, the car would win out. :D

we took my bird to a superbowl party and I drank way more then intended, so she got to drive it home. It had the manual steering and shes a weakling so I had to help steer from the passanger seat. 11sec car, gf driving, me steering drunk from passanger side. it was a fun ride :eek::eek::eek:

I am always impressed by how much we learn when we spend a night out with Jack Daniels and his friends. :)

Last time my wife drove my SC because I had too much to drink, we ended up doing donuts around a Toyota on a highway overpass. She hit the Toyota at least 4 times, it was insane...I was screaming, she was screaming, tires were screaming. Apparently when the car started to spin out, she got off the gas pedal and nailed the brake pedal....only it wasn't the brakes it was the gas pedal. Then she wouldn't let off, until engine died from fuel cut off switch.

David

Great story! I think that most people would change their mind if they could feel how the car feels to drive--being behind the wheel and taking control of it. What I love about these cars is that they are so smooth in their acceleration and they really feel like the well engineered and well thought out cars that they were designed to be, all those years ago. They still feel like a modern car---try saying that about most other cars of that era.

*nods*

The first - the VERY FIRST!! - thing any new buyer of one of these cars (and I mean "any MN12", not just SCs!) is redo the suspension.

I've had people climb into my 1991 Cougar, ask why I drive such an "old clunker", then ride with me. It doesn't take but a block or so to decide "Hey, this rides nice!"

The folks at the alignment shop I use love to see it come in so they can test drive it *grins*

And that's with a bog standard 212,000 mile 5.0HO in it .. if it had the SC, it'd take them all day to "align and test drive" it I bet *grins*

RwP

Last time my wife drove my SC because I had too much to drink, we ended up doing donuts around a Toyota on a highway overpass. She hit the Toyota at least 4 times, it was insane...I was screaming, she was screaming, tires were screaming. Apparently when the car started to spin out, she got off the gas pedal and nailed the brake pedal....only it wasn't the brakes it was the gas pedal. Then she wouldn't let off, until engine died from fuel cut off switch.

David

thats pretty funny...

I went to drive it today for the first time since she drove it and when I got in I was like who the hell moved my seat... then I remembered... And then I did a burnout :D:D:D

This post cracks me up. Only because I can relate when I met my wife 15 years ago she was not a motor head:( but after years of living in my town she has become as big of motor head as me if not worse. She use to love my SC we had lots of good times in it a 4-500 mile trip was common but the sad fact is the more I mod it the more scared of it she becomes. She still loves it or at least the time we spend working on it together but if we go for a ride on the weekends she would rather we take the Mustang or the Lightning. So now I have been working on making the car more street friendly because the kids still love it and I hope that someday I can get it to run 10's and have the wife love it also.

P.S. Dave N. I could see that happening, I am sure you don't have to worry about your wife stilling your car LOL!

Back