front end shakes when braking

90SCTBIRD5SP

So its a 5sp and say im coming to a stop once i brake it shakes real bad up front only way i can make it shake less is by down shifting and kind of let the lower gear slow me down but im still adding brake so its still shakes just not that much should i inspect my brakes or the front suspension? It dosnt feel safe to drive with the front end shaking everytime i apply the brake any help would be appreciated

That's typically a sign of warped front brake rotors, although there can be other issues that make it worse. Best to have the front end inspected, I think.

You may have other issues, but I'm sure the main problem is warped brake rotors up front. I would anticipate replacing both the front brake pads and rotors and re-evaluating.

yea I had warped rotors in mind but for sure now will replace rotors and pads also if by any chance you guys would know since I have the automatic ride shocks and they are not working the front is squeky how would I go about changing that wouldn't I just change front and back shocks?

If you can find new ARC shocks, the fronts are captured inside the springs - when I replaced mine I took the entire assembly out and paid a shop to take them apart and use the new shocks with new upper mounts, then I reinstalled and had the alignment checked. Other parts that needed attention were done at the same time to avoid repeating effort, etc. I'd want to know where the squeaks were coming from before I started...it could easily need more than just shocks.

Rears are much easier, I think, where you remove the lower mount from outside/under the car and the upper from inside the trunk, behind the back seat.

If you can get your hands on a factory repair manual this work will be better explained and much easier.

Back