Thunderbird IRS in 1968 Mustang?`

potshotscott

I've been doing some searching online. I've got a 1968 Mustang that I'm going to restomod. My wife wants a Mustang - I love my SC. Anyway, I know there's lots of info out there on putting newer mustang parts in older cars. Any of you have ideas or opinions on putting an IRS in the Mustang? Another odd thought - I'd love disc brakes and power steering. Anyone know of a Tbird sub frame front end modded into a 68 mustang?

I know this sounds odd and the idea that I can't find it online means that it's likely never been done. Anyone seen this?

If you don't mind cutting into the sub frame/ trunk floor you might get the IRS to work, but I'm not sure if the width would work out and it'd be a waste of time IMO. They have some companies that make an IRS conversion for vintage mustangs already. As far as the front end, I would either go with the mustang II front suspension(which you use to eliminate the shock towers for motor clearance) or there are companies that make a rack and pinions that bolt right in and Wilwood makes an easy disc conversion along with a few others for both front and rear. Restoration mags that are a must are Mustangs Plus, Mustangs Unlimited, and NPD. I liked Mustangs Plus for their wealth of restomod ideas and they make some good "kits" that save some money and time on figuring out part numbers. I like NPD for the sheet metal and fiberglass. I like Mustangs Unlimited for the rim selection and restomod stuff. I know the 67-68 Mustang body pretty well since I dissected mine in the restoration and know the parts magazines pretty well also lol.

Last edited:
Back