Whats best choice for Struts/shocks?

HwyStar

This car will mostly be straight line 1/4 mile racing, but would still like to hit the road course from time to time. Should I replace the pieces I have with standard ARC replacements, or Monroe or Gabrial strut/shocks? Or, something else. The shocks arent leaking, but something tells me those rusty things have to be part of my wheel hop. The struts are weeping. 165k miles, its time. Also, Im just not happy with the way the car rides. I dont mind it being stiff with all that Ive done, I expect that. It just doesnt inspire confidence I remember my last Cougar giving me on the road. Any opinions?

Brand new Tokicos are really nice. That's what I put on mine at around 250k miles and noticed a nice planted feeling in twisties. The drag style shocks aren't the best for road use or road courses.

I'll consider that if I can find a new set! I did like the feel of a stock suspension in good shape.

They still make them last I checked, they're a little pricey, but I think they'll last a long time. Tokico illumina II I believe.

I just did a full set. Shox.com had all four for $599.00. I'm going to do rear springs next as it's a little spongy still but man what a difference!

If you're looking for a currently available, bolt-in, budget shock that is relatively capable for the two completely different realms of drag racing and road course, I agree that the Tokico Illumina II's are the way to go. The soft setting isn't quite soft enough for drag racing, and the firm setting isn't quite firm enough for road course, but they're the best you'll find currently on the market at a reasonable price.

Back