89 SC with blown gaskets, what a good gasket to use

bubbasz1

Hi Guys,
My wife's SC needs head gaskets, kind of strange occurrence but over the winter I rebuilt the super charger and on it's maiden voyage the head gasket went south. Also kind of strange is the ring around the piston was pulled in and going by the marks on the head it looks like it's been like that a while. Anyways this is a summer driver, no horse power add on's just her driver instead of a 99 E250 High Top she drives in the winter. If the heads are flat it's going back together with ARP's and ?? what kind of gaskets. I've spent a good amount of time reading the forums and everybody using MLS gaskets. I just want a good head gasket without having any machine work done unless it's needed.
Thanks for your time
BTW I've been working on engines and cars since I was 13, I'm 55 now so I know what I'm doing just not up to speed on what to use in this situation.
Thanks again!!

MLS gaskets require machine work on both block and heads for a guaranteed seal. Put normal head gaskets and open up the exhaust to help prolong the next set of gaskets. I believe felpro makes a decent set.

If its pretty much a stock car, I would use stock gaskets but buy arp head studs instead of stock head bolts.

ARP's and Felpro's make sure and have heads surfaced and pressure tested. Also replace the 02's My five speed has gon 70k plus on standard felpro's no problems

Thanks guys, used Felpro's and ARP,s everything went good, now to fix my electrical gremlin. LOL
It never does end does it.

Back