throttle body removal

93tbrd

tried searching here and the interweb in general and could not figure out for the life of me how to remvoe the stupid throttle cable from the throttlebody. i need to pull the motor apart and what not and would like to clean the throttle body as its got 116k miles on it.

tried searching here and the interweb in general and could not figure out for the life of me how to remvoe the stupid throttle cable from the throttlebody. i need to pull the motor apart and what not and would like to clean the throttle body as its got 116k miles on it.

It's pressed on so usually it can be easily popped off the throttle body by hand or with the assistance of using a screw driver to pry it off.

-Tim

What you usually use to clean the body thottle?

o.png

Yeah, just pry/ jimmy the throttle cable off. It's not too difficult to get off. In my experience, the toughest part of removing the throttle body is the hoses that route to the throttle body to pass coolant through it (though by your alias here, it looks like you have a 93, which shouldn't have the coolant running through it). Also, the lower right nut is tough to get at, because it's pretty much non-visible, and if you're lucky enough to have small hands to get in there, it would be way easier. A flashlight, even during the day, works wonders to actually see where it is. Getting it off isn't too bad, but it's getting it back on that makes it way more difficult (I had to put the nut in the socket and then go in almost blind and hope that it would connect). I'd also found that removing the top two studs made it way easier to remove and put back on, as the TB seems to get hung up, because it's a tight fit and the oil filler area makes it that tight.

Throttle body cleaner works great to clean the TB.

Back