Auto Climate Control Calibration?

TBirdJKC

Is there any way to calibrate the blend door position for heat/ac? When its set to 60 I get plain outside air or max cooling with the a/c on, but if I bump it up 1 notch to 65, it feels like its set to 90. I thought the interior temp sensor might be the issue, so I pulled off and blew it out with some compressed air. It was caked with dust. No change. Then I tried swapping it for an extra I had. No change. I'm at a loss. I know the blend door has full rage of motion, because I get cold air at 60.

But if it was the blend door actuator would it still be able to move from full cold to full hot? Is their any way to test it without tearing into the dash?

But if it was the blend door actuator would it still be able to move from full cold to full hot? Is their any way to test it without tearing into the dash?

I've not heard what problems the blend door actuators in the TBirds experience, but I think it's possible. Some cars have problems with gear teeth inside the actuator breaking off, in which case, I could see that it could malfunction as you describe. Could be a problem with the HVAC controls too, I suppose.

The only non-invasive test I would try is exactly what you're having a problem with - see if you can incrementally change the temperature! :eek:

To answer my own question, incase someone else searches for this issue. Here is the write up. I found this on the old SCCOA homepage.:D

System Self-Test
The electronic climate control system control assembly (microcomputer) has provisions for a self diagnostic test of the control portion of the system.

If an existing failure is detected by the control assembly, a code (or codes for multiple failures) will appear in the display window. The code will begin with the letter "E" (existing error). Refer to Error Code Key to identify the error.

P codes indicate intermittent errors. That is, since the last battery hookup, a failure had occurred but has corrected itself. To clear P codes, depress the COOL button for three seconds. Check circuit to make sure the condition has been resolved.

NOTE: P codes are automatically erased after 100 "ignition on" cycles.

To identify existing as well as intermittent errors, start self-test by performing the following steps:

1. Turn ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Depress the FLOOR button on the control assembly.

3. Slide the blower switch to HI.

4. Push both the COOL and WARM buttons Simultaneously for three seconds until "--" appears in the control window.

5. After about 20 seconds, the "--" symbol will be replaced by a code. Refer to the Error Code Key to identify the error.

6. If 75* F or 24*C appears, power to the vehicle has been interrupted. Repeat steps 1 through 4 above.

7. To exit the diagnostic function at any time, turn the ignition switch to OFF position or depress to OFF button on the control assembly. When the control assembly is turned back on, the temperature door will self-calibrate for 20 seconds.

Error Code Key

Codes for Existing Errors
88*F*C System OK
E1 Replace Control Assembly
E2 Blend door cannot reach desired position. Possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator.
E3 In-vehicle sensor open.
E4 Ambient Sensor (mounted on radiator support) open
E5 Sunload sensor (mounted on defroster grille) short
E6 Blend door travel is out of range. Possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator.
E7 Blend door cannot calibrate. Possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator.
E8 In-vehicle sensor short.
E9 Ambient Sensor (mounted on radiator support) short

Codes for Intermittent Errors
P2 Blend door cannot reach desired position. Possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator.
P3 In-vehicle sensor was open.
P4 Ambient Sensor (mounted on radiator support) was open
P5 Sunload sensor (mounted on defroster grille) was short
P6 Blend door travel is out of range. Possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator.
P7 Blend door cannot calibrate. Possible failure at evaporator assembly or wiring to blend door actuator.
P8 In-vehicle sensor was short.
P9 Ambient Sensor (mounted on radiator support) was short

Back