B&M Ripper Problem

mikeg3

I've got a '89 5-speed and I installed a Ripper in it around Jan '01. It worked
great for about four months then it got really hard to drop into 5th and reverse.
When I pulled the shifter out it had a big gash on the bottom I guess from
shifting into 5th and reverse. Did I do something wrong when I installed it or
is there something wrong with the shifter itself?

,Mike

Mine was similar

I got a Ripper about 3 years ago. When I pulled the ranny about 6 months ago as part of my rebuild, I noticed the bottom of the plate had gouges from the 1-2 shifts. I had the tranny shop grind out that spot since they were checking out everything else inside the teanny. I didn't really notice any difference tho. That M5R2 is just not a performance tranny.

The early Rippers (ones with adjustable stops) were redesigned to remove the stops and also to allow more clearance where that groove is being cut.

You might want to call B&M and tell them about your problem. For a while they were offering free upgrades to the newer style shifter. I'm sure this was for the original owner with receipt, etc., but its worth a shot.

I bought a used Ripper shifter a while back and had the original owner get a new one for me.

shifter.jpg

Mine is an old style with the stops. I have ground out the areas where it was making contact. Does this look like your problem?

Yup

Thats it, I'm gonna try to get with the people at B&M to try to talk them out of a
replacement before I try to grind out the bottom.

Thanks for your help everybody!

Back