Is a dohc possible?

Metalcorpse

I read somewhere that someone converted a mustang to a dohc by switching the heads. Maybe I read it wrong.. Is it possible to turn 3.8s into a dohc? I'd imagine it would make a noticeable difference in power

Technically anything is possible. My grandfather used to tell me that if you wanted to build a 747 jet starting with a bottlecap, with enough time and money you could do it, but somewhere in the process you would realize it would be cheaper to just go buy a 747. Most likely the Mustang that was converted to a DOHC was a 4.6, which means that the DOHC heads would physically bolt right to that bottom end. There was never a DOHC head made for the Ford 3.8V6, so to make it work would involve a lot of custom fab work, most likely including custom cast heads and a custom timing chain or belt setup to drive the cams.

Doubt that you would want to attempt it. If a set would bolt up you would have to find a way to oil the cams and bearings, i suppose a stub cam could be made to run the oil pump and cam sensor same as the old 427 SOHC. Then here is the problem of how do you turn the ohc? No provision for timing chains unless the front of an ohc v-6 would fit. I say no it shouldnt be attempted.

You are right and wrong. Yes, someone did convert a Mustang to dohc. But, it was a 2.3. The conversion uses a Volvo 2.3 dohc head, and it's a screamer.

Back