PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! I needa ABS pressure warning switch for my 1989 SC

blown
05-06-2015, 06:15 PM
I need an ABS pressure warning switch for my 1989 SC
I bought this car new and it is still in great shape, never been in rain or snow,had some brake issues then brought it to Fox Ford in grand Rapids MI and the tech that is working on it was here when it was new so he is pretty familiar with the TEVES system.
I am sunk with out the pressure switch, any help locating one would be appriciated.

Thank
Dave (Blown) Howell
[email protected]

BirdofPrey97
05-07-2015, 09:41 AM
the-big-e Lives in NC. may be a good point of contact for you.

SuperChicken89
05-07-2015, 10:01 AM
If you are looking for the brake pressure switch, here is the GM part number. ACDelco 25530882 GM Original Equipment Brake Pressure Warning Switch Amazon has it for $90.12 and show 3 left in inventory. I purchased one 4/26 and received it 5 days later. Installation was a bit of a pain. Had to cut a hole in the fender apron to access the switch.

Bryan

blown
05-07-2015, 01:37 PM
If you are looking for the brake pressure switch, here is the GM part number. ACDelco 25530882 GM Original Equipment Brake Pressure Warning Switch Amazon has it for $90.12 and show 3 left in inventory. I purchased one 4/26 and received it 5 days later. Installation was a bit of a pain. Had to cut a hole in the fender apron to access the switch.

Bryan

And it is a direct replacement ?
5 wire I think ?

THANKS !!!

SuperChicken89
05-07-2015, 01:50 PM
And it is a direct replacement ?
5 wire I think ?

THANKS !!!

Yes absolutely the 100% correct ABS pressure switch. This Teves II ABS system was installed on multiple cars from multiple manufacturers.

The pressure switch is a bit of a pain to install in the car. You will need ether the special 36mm ABS pressure switch socket or customize a 36mm wheel nut socket to fit. I was lucky a friend is a Ford mechanic and had the correct special socket. I had to put a hole in the steel wheel housing to remove and install the pressure switch. It took longer to make the hole in the wheel housing than it did to remove and replace the pressure switch.

Here are a couple pictures if the hole I put in the wheel housing to access the switch. The hole is covered with foil tape but you can clearly see the outline of the hole in the tape.

Good luck

Bryan

blown
05-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Yes absolutely the 100% correct ABS pressure switch. This Teves II ABS system was installed on multiple cars from multiple manufacturers.

The pressure switch is a bit of a pain to install in the car. You will need ether the special 36mm ABS pressure switch socket or customize a 36mm wheel nut socket to fit. I was lucky a friend is a Ford mechanic and had the correct special socket. I had to put a hole in the steel wheel housing to remove and install the pressure switch. It took longer to make the hole in the wheel housing than it did to remove and replace the pressure switch.

Here are a couple pictures if the hole I put in the wheel housing to access the switch. The hole is covered with foil tape but you can clearly see the outline of the hole in the tape.

Good luck

Bryan

Thank you so much !
Our tech that is doing the repair for me still has the socket from when my car was new,,,,,,
I am a body shop estimator at a huge Ford dealer in Michigan,but I think we only have 3 guys still turning wrenches that were here when my SC was new.
I really appriciate all your help. I love my old Super coupe and want to keep it going.
In fact I just put new cross drilled,slotted rotors all around with ceramic pads. Brake performance in CA has some stellar deals on sweet rotors.

Blue Skies Brother !

TbirdSCFan
05-10-2015, 10:09 PM
OK.. so cutting a hole in the car I suppose will get the job done.. :rolleyes: HOWEVER... most of the time, you usually have to remove the whole Teves unit and change out the switch on your workbench. :cool: Now this job is not w/o its own issues.. mostly that the flare nuts are usually so tight that they will round off even with the right wrench, but thats the normal way. :)

BTW.. this is the ONLY tool (http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-locking-wrenches) that would work for me on those. I needed the 2 smallest sizes they made. Vise grips.. channel locks.. big wrench.. correct size flare nut wrench.. none of those would budge the line nuts. :(

SuperChicken89
05-11-2015, 12:59 PM
OK.. so cutting a hole in the car I suppose will get the job done.. :rolleyes: HOWEVER... most of the time, you usually have to remove the whole Teves unit and change out the switch on your workbench. :cool: Now this job is not w/o its own issues.. mostly that the flare nuts are usually so tight that they will round off even with the right wrench, but thats the normal way. :)

BTW.. this is the ONLY tool (http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-locking-wrenches) that would work for me on those. I needed the 2 smallest sizes they made. Vise grips.. channel locks.. big wrench.. correct size flare nut wrench.. none of those would budge the line nuts. :(

I chose not to remove the whole ABS unit to avoid the stuck flare nut issue plus it just seemed like a lot of extra work. The proper 36mm pressure switch socket, Harbor Freight electric impact wrench, and putting the hole in the wheel apron was the most sensible course of action for me. The hole I cut in the wheel apron can't be seen once everything is reassembled. I tried removing the pressure switch with a 1/2" swivel and several extensions prior to cutting the wheel apron hole. Needless to say I was unsuccessful until I cut the hole.

Bryan

jludorf
05-14-2015, 02:10 AM
If you remove the reservoir you get a lot more access. You will need to drain it a bit but that is not hard to do .