On a $3500 budget....

Metalcorpse

What would you have me do to a 1990 cougar sc? It's bone stock with a bad transmission. Sometimes it revs super hard if I push on the gas and it doesn't go back down. Iac maybe? Also I pulled the tb a day ago and it was very oily behind the tb. Anyhow. On that budget what should I do? I changed belts aleady.

No, usually the other way around. Car won't idle. With a gm you could end up with a high idle since they sometimes use a stepper motor, or get carbon stuck in the egr. Sounds like you might have a big vacuum leak, or a dirty MAF.

Where are you at? Really, I would need to look at the vehicle before I could give you an idea. Sounds like you will be stuck making the car reliable enough to build on with that money. Not as fun, but needs to be solid first.

my location is stockton ca. i dont think i have a vacumn leak because I drove it today, the boost gauge was right where it should be on idle and acceleration. it idles find and accelerates fine but if i floor it, it will stick at full throttle. strange. im sure as day it has a dirty maf. no doubt in my mind but i was sure there was other things.

if i floor it, it will stick at full throttle..

Check the gas pedal for floormat capture...then disconnect the cable at the throttle body and see if it sticks when you open/close by hand. See if the shaft has any lateral play in the body. See if the throttle plate is sticking inside the bore.

Ok so I'm going to replace the thtittle body to an 85mm when I do the cai. I checked everything for why it sticks but found nothing

Serious question/reply here

Have you considered for $3500 buying this car http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?124534-95-5-Speed-Low-Miles-Rare-•-Lots-of-Mods

It seems to me, you could get a car that is already completed and needing cosmetic improvements rather than anything mechanical and prehaps extremely costly or involved in replacing.

Also you could sell your exsisting car to recover the costs on the purchase to go towards, modifying a car that is already a great platform to start on.

-Tim

Eh Its a nice car but I bought my xr7 with restoration in mind. I honestly prefer the merc body style otherwise I would

Serious question/reply here

Have you considered for $3500 buying this car http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?124534-95-5-Speed-Low-Miles-Rare-•-Lots-of-Mods

It seems to me, you could get a car that is already completed and needing cosmetic improvements rather than anything mechanical and prehaps extremely costly or involved in replacing.

Also you could sell your exsisting car to recover the costs on the purchase to go towards, modifying a car that is already a great platform to start on.

-Tim

He's been trying to sell it for 3 years? Whoa. :eek: It's a shame there is no buyers, it sounds like a good buy.

Cosmetics will come last, my current idea would be to work with the intake and exhaust. Can a stock 90 sc engine handle a mp blower?

how difficult is it to change the fuel pump? If I go up a size with injectors I'll need a larger fuel pump for sure.

Last edited:
My last pump change (last fall) I did a complete disconnect. (shield and filler neck)

Rolled it on the exhaust and swapped everything out without dropping the tank.

2 person job with this method.

Paul

I dont follow, Ive changed at least a half dozen supercoupe fuel pumps and was never able to get the assembly out without dropping the tank and tilting it on the passenger side for clearance

share your knowledge!!!!

I dont follow, Ive changed at least a half dozen supercoupe fuel pumps and was never able to get the assembly out without dropping the tank and tilting it on the passenger side for clearance

share your knowledge!!!!

Probably poor terminology.

Your description is the method I used.

Maybe I misinterpreted "dropping tank" for bench work vs suspended on exhaust.

Paul

Back