F8, Q.H, or SCT chip?????

763supercoupe

What is the best chip for our SC? Q.H. F8, or Sct. Seeing what some people have and if they like them. All imput is appreciated! !!

For complete flexibility, QH. I just let Dave Dalke do the tuning. So, you can easily flash a new program in to it, and you get data logging capability. I don't know a whole lot about tuning these, just don't have the time to pick it all up. But, that's my two cents.

I'd say it all depends on who you will have tune your car and what they are familiar with. I'd feel more comfortable picking a tuner I trusted and using the platform they recommend. That being said, I would second the vote for QH if you have any interest/plans in taking "ownership" of the tune and tweaking it further (most likely by reviewing datalogs from your WBO2 and making adjustments as needed).

I'm also not sure what you are starting with in terms of car mods. If you took your 3.8L SC engine and swapped in a turbo, for example, you will DEFINITELY want someone to dyno tune your car in order to get a tune setup for partial throttle conditions (the biggest impediment to drivability) in addition to WOT. On the other hand, if your car already works today using the stock tune and you are just hunting for more power, well, that's much easier to deal with as you will just be messing with the WOT scenario. One advantage of QH is that with some basic knowledge and datalogs, you can actually tune the car yourself by just adjusting the timing for the WOT scenario -- and leaving the rest of the tune 'stock' because you know it works. After all, who cares if you make another 10-20HP under partial throttle esp if you end up having the car buck or bog down.

In additoin to the QH module, you will need the Binary Editor SW and a strategy for your ECU. IIRC, their are several strategies already fully mapped out by Sailorbob for the various SC ECUs.
-g

Thanks guys. I have spent alot of time and $$$ on this engine and want to make sure its tuned right. Did a 4.2 crankshaft, .30 bore will all upgrades possible. From MAF to 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust. Dont know anything about the SCT chip, the F8 has 8 different tunes you can store. How many tunes the the Q.H. store?

Having multiple tune support is pointless, but the QH will hold 8 tunes as well. If you want any qualified help with tuning the car or want to learn anything yourself, you need the QH. If you want to close your eyes and throw a dart, all the chips are equal. There are only maybe 3 shops in the entire country that can properly tune an SC. Keep that in mind.

There are only maybe 3 shops in the entire country that can properly tune an SC. Keep that in mind.

I dont know if it is three shops or not... but i will admit spending $1000+ at tuning shop for them to try and tune my SC with an SCT chip. I was not satisfied with their work. I was so disatisfied that I switched direction and got a QH from dave. I should have started with Dave.

When I began my SC project, tuning is the one thing that I did not account for... it sounds like you are in the same spot i was with this issue. I highly recommend investing in Wideband O2 sensor, a QH with BE and the appropriate strategy.

I also recommend reading Greg Bannish's book on tuning. It will help you understand whats going on to some degree if you dont already know... http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Management-Advanced-Greg-Banish/dp/1932494421

SCT does not have the support to CORRECTLY tune a supercoupe. Thats non-debateable it is what it is they just do not have access to the parameters I consider necessary for a proper calibration.

Dave isnt kidding when he says theres only a few qshops that know how to tune these correctly.

The only folks that are going to be able to get these dialed in how they should be are going to be those that are intimately familiar with the supercoupes.

Dyno tuning and a local tuner are nice but not necessary.

heres a little info for you about dyno tuning to clear up any misconceptions

http://www.efidynotuning.com/dynofacts.htm

I will add that decipha is a great guy too, and helped me out with tuning as well. Thanks again man, i've got it running good now!

Get the tune dialed in using the QH and then get a Jaybird to convert the file over so it can be stored on a chip and using the tune from the QH now installed on the chip, run it with the chip.

Get the tune dialed in using the QH and then get a Jaybird to convert the file over so it can be stored on a chip and using the tune from the QH now installed on the chip, run it with the chip.

Why would you suggest this route besides inviting the OP to spend more money on a module (Jaybird) with less functionality?
If the tune can be installed on the QH, why not leave that module in the car and have the ability to see all the internal scalars (i.e.: what the ECU is demanding/sees) in realtime via a USB interface that can be hidden/discretely installed?

i think dave answered this question for me last time, the fact that the older style quarter horse had the battery soldered to the board. if the battery died you had to send it back in to have them replace it or something, now you can just pull the battery and replace yourself so leaving it in place as opposed to placing a chip in its place is a better option now.

i think dave answered this question for me last time, the fact that the older style quarter horse had the battery soldered to the board. if the battery died you had to send it back in to have them replace it or something, now you can just pull the battery and replace yourself so leaving it in place as opposed to placing a chip in its place is a better option now.

Contrary to the popular belief on this site(flame on) the QH is not made to be in a car that is driven daily, but rather put in there to dial in the tune and then replaced with that tune to be on a chip. Why keep it after the tune is setup? The battery goes dead and you are stuck. Get the tune dialed in and burn it to the chip. Have an issue that pops up that cant be figured out? Put the QH in and start data logging and fix the issue and put the chip back in. If $75 for a Jaybird breaks the bank then the SC is not the car for that individual.

The battery not going dead isn't an issue? Ask anyone of the guys it has happened too how wonderful it is. Remember when the battery dies whether you have another on hand or not the tune must be reapplied to the QH. I don't carry my laptop with me everywhere I go with the car. The QH is in the glovebox next to the ECU incase needed, but it doesn't stay plugged in. The car sits almost 9 months out of the year, so better safe then sorry.

This is all a "suggestion" such as was asked by the OP. Everyone will operate as they wish and that's great!!

Last edited:
Contrary to the popular belief on this site(flame on) the QH is not made to be in a car that is driven daily, but rather put in there to dial in the tune and then replaced with that tune to be on a chip. Why keep it after the tune is setup? The battery goes dead and you are stuck. Get the tune dialed in and burn it to the chip. Have an issue that pops up that cant be figured out? Put the QH in and start data logging and fix the issue and put the chip back in. If $75 for a Jaybird breaks the bank then the SC is not the car for that individual.

The battery not going dead isn't an issue? Ask anyone of the guys it has happened too how wonderful it is. Remember when the battery dies whether you have another on hand or not the tune must be reapplied to the QH. I don't carry my laptop with me everywhere I go with the car. The QH is in the glovebox next to the ECU incase needed, but it doesn't stay plugged in. The car sits almost 9 months out of the year, so better safe then sorry.

This is all a "suggestion" such as was asked by the OP. Everyone will operate as they wish and that's great!!

Correct....I drive mine with the QH installed but bought the Jaybird and had my tunes burned onto an SCT chip that I keep in the car just in case I have a battery failure on the QH.

David

I was just saying I asked Dave recently when I purchased the qh if I should get a chip as well, he said it was simpler now that the battery can be replaced by the end user, so he didn't recommend that I would need a chip, plus I can data log anytime without having to pull the eec, remove and replace and reinstall.

I was just saying I asked Dave recently when I purchased the qh if I should get a chip as well, he said it was simpler now that the battery can be replaced by the end user, so he didn't recommend that I would need a chip, plus I can data log anytime without having to pull the eec, remove and replace and reinstall.

Drove my car the same way for many years and never had a problem. For me, being able the change the battery on the QH isn't very comforting if the chip loses the tune when battery is removed or dies...because you still need to carry a spare battery and your laptop to reload the tune. I had spare SCT chips, so for me the only extra expense was the Jaybird. My car won't even start on the stock tune so it's not like I could drive it somewhere to straighten it out.

David

Back