PDA

View Full Version : Where are the oil experts?

joenintiesc
05-10-2015, 02:08 PM
I need some help figuring out which is the right oil to use.

1994 SC, recently rebuilt motor with all the go fast goodies
Driven mostly in Spring/Summer/Fall, less than 3000 miles/year
Full Synthetic

Last oil change I used RP 5W30 and Motorcraft filter.

Ford specifies 5W20 according to this:
https://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_motorcraft_oilquickreference.pdf

Seems like I read a lot of feedback here that 10W30 would be best? For my situation above?

Brand? I've used Royal Purple in the past, but I'm considering Amsoil, or maybe Lucas, or maybe just Penzoil Ultra/Platinum?

KMT
05-10-2015, 02:43 PM
>Ford specifies 5W20

On my '90 SC, the factory spec sticker on the header panel says 5w30, as I recall. What is the climate like where the car lives?

SCarSC
05-10-2015, 03:41 PM
maybe bob is the oil guy forum

meaning, i dont generally see people posting oil analysis reports here, and that they would probably know more about that.

From my other car, mazdaspeed 3, the general concensus was that pennzoil platinum was an exceptionally good oil, but the main problem with that platform was direct injection and fuel dilution, not so much an issue here, but it did hold up very well on the posted documents. another oil everyone raved about was rotella t-6, once again, very good oil with good wear properties under pretty harsh conditions(ahole tuners)

SCarSC
05-10-2015, 04:03 PM
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1523375

thread i found over there about a guy asking about oil for his sc

joenintiesc
05-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the replies! I checked the link to the Bob forum, but he was asking about a 100K mile engine, whereas my is new rebuilt.

Originally 5W30 was the recommended oil, but according to that link I posted Ford has since updated it in 2005 to 5W20. But then I've read here that 5W20 is too whimpy, lol.

Climate in NJ is cool to very hot humid in the seasons I mentioned.

Before I posted I searched through a bunch of posts regarding oil weights and pretty much every weight oil in existence seems to be used by someone, lol! :eek:

KMT
05-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Originally 5W30 was the recommended oil, but according to that link I posted Ford has since updated it in 2005 to 5W20.

I don't see the SC broken out, or did all 3.8s have roller tappets? You can try 20, but if it causes lifter noise on startup, you may want to bump to 30.

MadMikeyL
05-10-2015, 06:12 PM
5w30 is what you want to run. 5w20 is thinner, and is being specified by manufacturers to help boost fuel economy numbers, but it will not provide enough protection given the stresses that our engines experience. 10w30 is the same thickness as 5w30 when hot, but is thicker when cold, which is not what you want. As for what brand, that really comes down to personal preference. If you are happy with royal purple, go ahead and continue with that. I personally use valvoline synthetic. Given the low mileage you put in the car, and that you don't drive it in the winter months, there really isn't any need to run synthetic oil (not that it will harm anything). The main advantage to synthetic oil over conventional has to do with maintaining viscosity as it breaks down. Only putting 3k miles a year on the car, the oil will never get to the point of breaking down, so I would run a good quality conventional oil and change it twice a year, once in March and once in September.

George95PearlSC
05-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replies! I checked the link to the Bob forum, but he was asking about a 100K mile engine, whereas my is new rebuilt.

Originally 5W30 was the recommended oil, but according to that link I posted Ford has since updated it in 2005 to 5W20. But then I've read here that 5W20 is too whimpy, lol.

Climate in NJ is cool to very hot humid in the seasons I mentioned.

Before I posted I searched through a bunch of posts regarding oil weights and pretty much every weight oil in existence seems to be used by someone, lol! :eek:

5w20.is energy conserving for fuel economy 5w30 truly isn't a big difference

5w is when cold and signifies better flow.at start up when the engine is cold which there both 5w so no difference there

30w signifies the weight the oil becomes at operating temperature and is thicker at that time so slight differences but not significant

the internal temperature the stock engine obtains isn't significant vs our engines modified unless your comparing extreme modifications

most run cooler thermostats bigger intercoolers lower fan turn on temperatures ect all of which offsets the internal temperature stock vs modified

I run Amsoil signature series which is one of and/of the best out there

go on Amsoil. Com as well as independent testing to see!

It won't hurt to run 5w30 its a slightly wider range of coverage and overall is prob best choice

joenintiesc
05-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Why do some of the guys here with well know SC's run 15W50 and 20W50?

joenintiesc
05-10-2015, 07:16 PM
It won't hurt to run 5w30 its a slightly wider range of coverage and overall is prob best choice

Lol, you were the one who told me last year about Ford changing the spec to 5W20 and that was the recommended weight, right after I did my first oil change using RP 5W30! :D :confused:

How do you like the Amsoil after using it for awhile now?

nickleman60
05-10-2015, 08:15 PM

I run 15w50 Mobil 1 full synthetic.

joenintiesc
05-10-2015, 10:19 PM
I run 15w50 Mobil 1 full synthetic.

And yet, that doesn't really answer my question... :confused::D

George95PearlSC
05-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Lol, you were the one who told me last year about Ford changing the spec to 5W20 and that was the recommended weight, right after I did my first oil change using RP 5W30! :D :confused:

How do you like the Amsoil after using it for awhile now?

Yes you're correct and remember, i like it. I think I had mentioned that I felt the SC was more responsive. No issues its quite and purrs no upper end noise no lower end noise very happy.

I feel if would be fine for mine with it being stock I suggested 5w30 for you because you seem more comfortable but don't feel its necessary.

Those other viscosity work depending on what climate your in.in the northeast us 5w30 is common

those other viscosity are heavy and unless your heavily moded out and racing it's very unnessary

the most i will run is 5W30 in my opinion

MadMikeyL
05-10-2015, 11:43 PM

In most of those cases, it is just not knowing any better. In a race only environment (like road race or circle track, not 1/4 mile) a thicker oil might be used because of higher operating oil temperatures. If the engine oil will be at a higher temperature, that makes it thinner, so in order to keep it at the proper thickness at operating temperature, you need a heavier oil for the higher operating temperature. In most of those situations though, the engine oil is pre-heated before actually running the engine and definitely before driving the car. The main reason you don't want to do this is because when cold, even a 0 weight oil is thicker than ideal, and will cause engine wear. The thicker oils will only exacerbate this problem, and if you don't need the heavier oil for protection when hot, then you are only causing extra wear when cold for no gain. What thickness oil your engine requires is based on your bearing clearances and engine oil temperature when warm. Ford specified a 30 weight oil for that, so unless you are running higher temps or larger bearing clearances, you don't want anything heavier than that. Running a 20 weight oil may not provide enough protection. As for the first number, that is the viscosity when cold, and you want it as low as possible to prevent engine wear on startup, since even a 0 weight oil is too thick when cold. If you can get 0w30, go for it, but that is not readily available. 10w30 will behave exactly the same as 5w30 at operating temperature, but will be even thicker at cold temps, which means more unnecessary engine wear on startup. Basically 10w30 was one of the first multi-viscosity oils, so people default to it, but 5w30 is always a better choice. 5w20 and 5w30 will behave exactly the same at startup, but the 5w20 will be thinner when at operating temperature, so if you are going to drive your car hard, I don't reccomend it. If you are going to go with a 20 weight oil though, you would be better off with a 0w20 since it will be the same thickness at temp, but thinner when cold.

1FSTBRD
05-11-2015, 12:59 AM
I'd ran 5W20 in my Mustang for a little while, with no adverse effects, but went back to the stock 5W30. Like MadMikey says, 5W20 is often just to appease the CAFE suits, but it's really hard to quantify the longer term effects of running a thinner oil, in terms of wear and tear. Performance gains are really negligible (it's nothing that can be felt).

In both of my cars, I run Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30, and it's done great, and I haven't been easy on the cars. In the past, i've used Castrol Syntec, Castrol Edge and those had done great, as well. I use a K&N oil filter on both of my cars, and it has done well, too. It has an anti-drainback valve in it so that the engine isn't starved of oil on startup.

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 09:25 AM
In most of those cases, it is just not knowing any better. In a race only environment (like road race or circle track, not 1/4 mile) a thicker oil might be used because of higher operating oil temperatures. If the engine oil will be at a higher temperature, that makes it thinner, so in order to keep it at the proper thickness at operating temperature, you need a heavier oil for the higher operating temperature. In most of those situations though, the engine oil is pre-heated before actually running the engine and definitely before driving the car. The main reason you don't want to do this is because when cold, even a 0 weight oil is thicker than ideal, and will cause engine wear. The thicker oils will only exacerbate this problem, and if you don't need the heavier oil for protection when hot, then you are only causing extra wear when cold for no gain. What thickness oil your engine requires is based on your bearing clearances and engine oil temperature when warm. Ford specified a 30 weight oil for that, so unless you are running higher temps or larger bearing clearances, you don't want anything heavier than that. Running a 20 weight oil may not provide enough protection. As for the first number, that is the viscosity when cold, and you want it as low as possible to prevent engine wear on startup, since even a 0 weight oil is too thick when cold. If you can get 0w30, go for it, but that is not readily available. 10w30 will behave exactly the same as 5w30 at operating temperature, but will be even thicker at cold temps, which means more unnecessary engine wear on startup. Basically 10w30 was one of the first multi-viscosity oils, so people default to it, but 5w30 is always a better choice. 5w20 and 5w30 will behave exactly the same at startup, but the 5w20 will be thinner when at operating temperature, so if you are going to drive your car hard, I don't reccomend it. If you are going to go with a 20 weight oil though, you would be better off with a 0w20 since it will be the same thickness at temp, but thinner when cold.

Thanks Mike, that is a very thorough explanation! The guy I bought the car from told me the following when I had asked him some questions about the oil and engine rebuild in general:

With regards to the motor oil. I broke it in on motorcraft synthetiic blend 10w-30. The rings were seated in via the acceleration and deacceleration method. You run it up from 40 to 60 MPH, then let off the accelerator and back down to 40MPH and then repeat the procedure about 6-7 times in a 10-15 mile drive.

1,000 miles later I draind the oil and used 10w-30 Mobil 1. I know many manufacturers use full synthetic from day one. I did a compression test at about 1,500 miles in as I always do on a fresh engine to check for cylinder balance and each cylinder came in at 148-150PSI on the nose with 3 full revolutions of the crankshaft. The engineis good to go. As a side note I file fit each piston ring. I used .006 thousands of an inch for every inch of cylinder bore on the top ring and .005 thousands of an inch for every inch of bore on the second ring. So I custom fit each ring to each cylinder for which it was installed. It's a tedious process using a file and fitting each one but this is why each cylinder is so well balanced with pressure. It's a supercharged application so I run the ring gap a little looser than on a naturally aspirated engine. The bore was set up about .0015 looser for each cylinder than the factory settings as again more
cylinder pressure means more heat so I like it a little looser. The block was zero decked meaning the pistons come up to exactly the top of the deck at TDC. The cylinder head to block surfaces are perfect. I do this to help eliminate head gasket issues and to keep the clamping force consistent across the surface. I used MLS gaskets and ARP cylinder head studs. Head gaskets should never be an issue for as long as you own it.

I guess he used 10W30 for the reason you suggested? He lives in New England, so it seemed like 0W30 would have made more sense for a colder climate. I wasn't sure if I had been missing something on the 10W30 selection.

I'll stick with 5W30, but I'm going to skip the Amsoil for now since I hardly put enough miles on to justify synthetic, let alone a hard to get expensive syn. Will use RP or maybe Mobil 1 or Penzoil Plat/Ultra, which I use in my other vehicles.

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 09:28 AM
I'd ran 5W20 in my Mustang for a little while, with no adverse effects, but went back to the stock 5W30. Like MadMikey says, 5W20 is often just to appease the CAFE suits, but it's really hard to quantify the longer term effects of running a thinner oil, in terms of wear and tear. Performance gains are really negligible (it's nothing that can be felt).

In both of my cars, I run Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30, and it's done great, and I haven't been easy on the cars. In the past, i've used Castrol Syntec, Castrol Edge and those had done great, as well. I use a K&N oil filter on both of my cars, and it has done well, too. It has an anti-drainback valve in it so that the engine isn't starved of oil on startup.

Thanks for the feedback. I've always been tempted to try one of those K&N filters. Probably a good idea for a car that can sit for days and weeks, even months at a time.

KMT
05-11-2015, 10:15 AM
I've always been tempted to try one of those K&N filters.

The K&N (HP-2009) filter also has the bonus of a large hex nut built onto the end cap to help filter removal (no need for strap wrench). Comes in handy on our cars with the tight fit in that area, etc.

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 01:53 PM

Sounds like we are all on the same page and are basically in agreement, some had more detailed explinations! I like the 5w20, I don't run the car hard but agree 5w30 is the better choice overall especially with mods, and 0w20 even better vs 5w20 and 0w30 if existed even that much better!. But anything more is unnecessary.

I like the Amsoil especially because I don't drive much an feel its well worth it for the protection in regard to the shear fact the car sits, and it has protective properties for that fact alone.

Go on Amsoil.com Joey !

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Sounds like we are all on the same page and are basically in agreement, some had more detailed explinations! I like the 5w20, I don't run the car hard but agree 5w30 is the better choice overall especially with mods, and 0w20 even better vs 5w20 and 0w30 if existed even that much better!. But anything more is unnecessary.

I like the Amsoil especially because I don't drive much an feel its well worth it for the protection in regard to the shear fact the car sits, and it has protective properties for that fact alone.

Go on Amsoil.com Joey !

Actuall pardon me Amsoil has 0w20, 0w30, and 0w40 weight top end signature series oils >>> :D

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Actuall pardon me Amsoil has 0w20, 0w30, and 0w40 weight top end signature series oils >>> :D

AMSOIL
DOMINATOR® 5W-20 Racing Oil

This supports as well what I was stating and is 5w20

Provides superior performance and maximum protection in high-performance and racing applications. DOMINATOR is engineered from advanced synthetic technology to better withstand the elevated rpm, high temperatures and shock-loading common to racing applications.

Product Code: RD20QT-EA Ordering Instructions

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL DOMINATOR® Synthetic 5W-20 Racing Oil (RD20) provides superior performance and maximum protection in high-performance and racing applications. DOMINATOR is engineered from advanced synthetic technology to better withstand the elevated rpm, high temperatures and shock-loading common to racing applications. Its robust formulation, tested and validated by championship race teams, is designed to provide maximum horsepower without sacrificing engine protection. DOMINATOR provides straight-grade protection in a multi-grade formulation.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world's first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine.

Anti-Wear Formulation
Racing and high-performance engines are typically modified to deliver maximum horsepower and speed. Their powerful designs create shearing forces that can cause lesser oils to lose viscosity, leaving bearings, pistons and other components vulnerable to wear and failure. DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil's durable formulation resists viscosity loss due to mechanical shear to maintain a strong protective oil film. It is heavily fortified with zinc and phosphorus anti-wear additives to provide additional protection against scuffing and wear in severe racing conditions (see results below).

The piston crown contains normal carbon, while the rings remain clean and functional. Note the absence of wear or scuffing on the piston skirt. The camshaft shows little-to-no scoring, bluing or wear after 3,000 miles of high-performance racing.

Maximum Horsepower
The excessive friction and heat of racing robs engines of power and longevity. DOMINATOR is formulated with a proprietary friction modifier for maximum horsepower and cooler engine temperatures, promoting improved lap times and longer-lasting components.
•Formulated specifically for racing & high-performance engines
•Robust formulation resists viscosity loss
•Proprietary friction modifier maximizes horsepower & torque
•Fortified with anti-wear additives for extra protection

Racing is Research™
The AMSOIL Offshore Racing Team has claimed many national and world championship titles in several different categories of racing, and AMSOIL DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil has been key to its success. After a full racing season covering 3,000 miles of extreme driving, a teardown of one of the team's Mercury® 525 EFI V-8 engines revealed clean, virtually wear-free components.

Protection From Startup to the Checkered Flag
DOMINATOR provides maximum protection in temperature extremes. Its low pour point offers excellent cold-start protection and provides less drag when the oil has not reached stable operating temperatures. At elevated operating temperatures, it maintains superior film strength. DOMINATOR's thermally stable synthetic chemistry resists the effects of intense heat common to racing engines to provide reliable protection for the duration of the race.

Commercial Availability
Many oil companies produce specialty racing oils for elite groups and do not offer them to the general public. For example, several popular oil manufacturers produce racing oils offered only to NASCAR racers. All AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are already formulated to a higher level of performance than competitors' oils, and AMSOIL DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil is no exception. It provides maximum performance and superior protection to all racers, regardless of their level of competition. The same AMSOIL DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil that is used in the engines of AMSOIL corporately sponsored racers, including Scott Douglas, Bob Teague and Erik Buell Racing are available to everyone.

APPLICATIONS
DOMINATOR 5W-20 Synthetic Racing Oil is recommended for modified small block, asphalt late model, bracket, midget and other domestic and import high-performance racing and street applications that require a 20-weight oil.

AMSOIL offers WIX Racing Oil Filters for racing applications. WIX racing filters are specially designed for racing applications only.

Oil Analyzers Inc®. (715-395-0222) is a division of AMSOIL that provides cost-effective, quality oil analysis services. For more information on product applications and service life,, refer to the AMSOIL Product Recommendation and Drain Interval Guide (G1490).

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES

DOMINATOR® Synthetic 5W-20 Racing Oil (RD20)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D 445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D 445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D 2270)

CCS Viscosity (°C), cP (ASTM D 5293)

4903 (-30)

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97)

-50 (-58)

Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)

228 (442)

Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)

244 (471)

Four Ball Wear Test
(ASTM D 4172B: 40 kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr), Scar, mm

Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D 5800)

High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
@ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1), cP (ASTM D 5481)

1FSTBRD
05-11-2015, 02:12 PM
The K&N (HP-2009) filter also has the bonus of a large hex nut built onto the end cap to help filter removal (no need for strap wrench). Comes in handy on our cars with the tight fit in that area, etc.

Yep, exactly! The HP-2009 also has the added benefit of fitting on both my '99 3.8 Stang as well as the Bird (coil packs are also the same, too), so I stock up on these bad boys. :D I'd read a few shootout/ comparison results on the K&N oil filter, and it did excellent in all of the ones that I'd seen. For me, the added oil coverage during starting the vehicles is worth the additional price.....it would be cool if there was a HP or two, as well.

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 02:18 PM

Go on Amsoil.com Joey !

Hmmm, is everyone really on the same page? Because you are contradicting what Mikey said about the necessity of syn oil in vehicles that don't see a lot of miles:

Given the low mileage you put in the car, and that you don't drive it in the winter months, there really isn't any need to run synthetic oil (not that it will harm anything). The main advantage to synthetic oil over conventional has to do with maintaining viscosity as it breaks down. Only putting 3k miles a year on the car, the oil will never get to the point of breaking down, so I would run a good quality conventional oil and change it twice a year, once in March and once in September.

Your saying that syn oil with a good additive package is actually better for cars that don't see a lot of miles?

I realize there are a lot of varying opinions when it comes to oil, but I was hoping there would be some consensus on the fundamentals, lol!

So, pricey syn + good additive package is:
1. Overkill in my application, or
2. Best bet in my application
??

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Hmmm, is everyone really on the same page? Because you are contradicting what Mikey said about the necessity of syn oil in vehicles that don't see a lot of miles:

Your saying that syn oil with a good additive package is actually better for cars that don't see a lot of miles?

I realize there are a lot of varying opinions when it comes to oil, but I was hoping there would be some consensus on the fundamentals, lol!

??

Overall were all on the same page but yes that's the only thing I feel differently about regarding Synthetic vs standard oil I deff feel the synthetic is well worth it for many benefits

Extends Drain Intervals
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil can extend drain intervals far beyond those recommended for conventional oils. Its unique synthetic formulation and long-drain additive system are inherently stable to resist oxidation and neutralize acids over longer periods. Signature Series is designed to deliver outstanding engine protection, cleanliness and performance over extended drain intervals. It reduces vehicle maintenance and waste oil.

COMPATIBILITY
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce its performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed

SERVICE LIFE
•Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under Severe Service.
•Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first.

Severe Service: Primarily short trips (less than 10 miles [16 km]); turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; first-time use of AMSOIL motor oil in a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles; frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 02:27 PM
The problem with the below is that it comes from Amsoil, and is pretty much there marketing hype, same as you would find on any other motor oil manufacturer. They all put great sounding language and science in their product description details to sell more oil!

I like to go by real world feedback instead, and the general consensus on sites like Boboilguy.

There is a lot of great feedback on Amsoil so I know it is a top tier oil, one of the best out there. But not exactly easy to get, so if what is available at Wally or Pep Boys is just as good in my application, I would prefer the greater ease of getting what they offer, which are plenty of other top tier oils...

AMSOIL
DOMINATOR® 5W-20 Racing Oil

This supports as well what I was stating and is 5w20

Provides superior performance and maximum protection in high-performance and racing applications. DOMINATOR is engineered from advanced synthetic technology to better withstand the elevated rpm, high temperatures and shock-loading common to racing applications.

Product Code: RD20QT-EA Ordering Instructions

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL DOMINATOR® Synthetic 5W-20 Racing Oil (RD20) provides superior performance and maximum protection in high-performance and racing applications. DOMINATOR is engineered from advanced synthetic technology to better withstand the elevated rpm, high temperatures and shock-loading common to racing applications. Its robust formulation, tested and validated by championship race teams, is designed to provide maximum horsepower without sacrificing engine protection. DOMINATOR provides straight-grade protection in a multi-grade formulation.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world's first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine.

Anti-Wear Formulation
Racing and high-performance engines are typically modified to deliver maximum horsepower and speed. Their powerful designs create shearing forces that can cause lesser oils to lose viscosity, leaving bearings, pistons and other components vulnerable to wear and failure. DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil's durable formulation resists viscosity loss due to mechanical shear to maintain a strong protective oil film. It is heavily fortified with zinc and phosphorus anti-wear additives to provide additional protection against scuffing and wear in severe racing conditions (see results below).

The piston crown contains normal carbon, while the rings remain clean and functional. Note the absence of wear or scuffing on the piston skirt. The camshaft shows little-to-no scoring, bluing or wear after 3,000 miles of high-performance racing.

Maximum Horsepower
The excessive friction and heat of racing robs engines of power and longevity. DOMINATOR is formulated with a proprietary friction modifier for maximum horsepower and cooler engine temperatures, promoting improved lap times and longer-lasting components.

Racing is Research™
The AMSOIL Offshore Racing Team has claimed many national and world championship titles in several different categories of racing, and AMSOIL DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil has been key to its success. After a full racing season covering 3,000 miles of extreme driving, a teardown of one of the team's Mercury® 525 EFI V-8 engines revealed clean, virtually wear-free components.

DOMINATOR provides maximum protection in temperature extremes. Its low pour point offers excellent cold-start protection and provides less drag when the oil has not reached stable operating temperatures. At elevated operating temperatures, it maintains superior film strength. DOMINATOR's thermally stable synthetic chemistry resists the effects of intense heat common to racing engines to provide reliable protection for the duration of the race.

Commercial Availability
Many oil companies produce specialty racing oils for elite groups and do not offer them to the general public. For example, several popular oil manufacturers produce racing oils offered only to NASCAR racers. All AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are already formulated to a higher level of performance than competitors' oils, and AMSOIL DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil is no exception. It provides maximum performance and superior protection to all racers, regardless of their level of competition. The same AMSOIL DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil that is used in the engines of AMSOIL corporately sponsored racers, including Scott Douglas, Bob Teague and Erik Buell Racing are available to everyone.

APPLICATIONS
DOMINATOR 5W-20 Synthetic Racing Oil is recommended for modified small block, asphalt late model, bracket, midget and other domestic and import high-performance racing and street applications that require a 20-weight oil.

AMSOIL offers WIX Racing Oil Filters for racing applications. WIX racing filters are specially designed for racing applications only.

Oil Analyzers Inc®. (715-395-0222) is a division of AMSOIL that provides cost-effective, quality oil analysis services. For more information on product applications and service life,, refer to the AMSOIL Product Recommendation and Drain Interval Guide (G1490).

DOMINATOR® Synthetic 5W-20 Racing Oil (RD20)

4903 (-30)

-50 (-58)

228 (442)

244 (471)

Four Ball Wear Test

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Overall were all on the same page but yes that's the only thing I feel differently about regarding Synthetic vs standard oil I deff feel the synthetic is well worth it for many benefits

Extends Drain Intervals
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil can extend drain intervals far beyond those recommended for conventional oils. Its unique synthetic formulation and long-drain additive system are inherently stable to resist oxidation and neutralize acids over longer periods. Signature Series is designed to deliver outstanding engine protection, cleanliness and performance over extended drain intervals. It reduces vehicle maintenance and waste oil.

COMPATIBILITY
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce its performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed

SERVICE LIFE
•Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under Severe Service.
•Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first.

Severe Service: Primarily short trips (less than 10 miles [16 km]); turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; first-time use of AMSOIL motor oil in a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles; frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions

But aren't these all benefits for vehicles that are driven hard and often, which yours and mine are not?

Or are you just referring to the short trip and supercharged notes at the end?

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 02:34 PM
The problem with the below is that it comes from Amsoil, and is pretty much there marketing hype, same as you would find on any other motor oil manufacturer. They all put great sounding language and science in their product description details to sell more oil!

I like to go by real world feedback instead, and the general consensus on sites like Boboilguy.

There is a lot of great feedback on Amsoil so I know it is a top tier oil, one of the best out there. But not exactly easy to get, so if what is available at Wally or Pep Boys is just as good in my application, I would prefer the greater ease of getting what they offer, which are plenty of other top tier oils...

I understand your point!

As you said though its not just manufacturer hype there is tremendous feedback and reviews on Amsoil that supports manufacturer data and product quality

Its really not hard to get you can order it online and in advance especially with doing it only once a year, you can also order extra to have in case emergency.

You can also enroll on line and get wholesale prices. Its really not that expensive vs other synthetics in my opinion.

But Joey bottom line the way I see it, why do two oil changes plus the extra work of changing it twice, when you can do one oil change a year have the benefit of synthetic oil protection regarding wear and the benefit of it sitting and the properties it has to protect the engine as well in that regard.

Two oil changes with a good conventional will cost almost as much as one Amsoil synthetic with not near the level of protection.

Its really up to you what your comfortable with.

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 03:20 PM
I understand your point!

As you said though its not just manufacturer hype there is tremendous feedback and reviews on Amsoil that supports manufacturer data and product quality

Its really not hard to get you can order it online and in advance especially with doing it only once a year, you can also order extra to have in case emergency.

You can also enroll on line and get wholesale prices. Its really not that expensive vs other synthetics in my opinion.

But Joey bottom line the way I see it, why do two oil changes plus the extra work of changing it twice, when you can do one oil change a year have the benefit of synthetic oil protection regarding wear and the benefit of it sitting and the properties it has to protect the engine as well in that regard.

Two oil changes with a good conventional will cost almost as much as one Amsoil synthetic with not near the level of protection.

Its really up to you what your comfortable with.

I wasn't considering switching to conventional. In all my posts I mentioned using syn oil. Just deciding if Amsoil is worth the cost and trouble to get. (Yes, regardless of your points, which are certainly valid, the fact remains that it is easier, quicker, and cheaper to just grab the oil at Walmart. They have a very good selection). And if I pass on the Amsoil, is Royal Purple worth the extra cost. Or is one of the other major labels premium syns going to be all I need for my mileage and climate...

I am limited to 3000 miles per year because of the Collector Car status with the DMV, but I probably put half that on the car in a year. Then again, most of those miles are short trips with the exception of Carlisle.

In the end, 5W30 Amsoil, RP, Mobil 1, Penzoil Ultra are all most likely perfect choices for the car at this time...

nickleman60
05-11-2015, 03:33 PM
And yet, that doesn't really answer my question... :confused::D

Because the best engine builder on this site recommends it....................that's plenty good enough reason for me........;)

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Because the best engine builder on this site recommends it....................that's plenty good enough reason for me........;)

Why does he recommend it for you?

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 04:22 PM

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL DOMINATOR® Synthetic 15W-50 Racing Oil (RD50) provides superior performance and maximum protection in high-performance and racing applications. DOMINATOR is engineered from advanced synthetic technology to better withstand the elevated rpm, high temperatures and shock-loading common to racing applications. Its robust formulation, tested and validated by championship race teams, is designed to provide maximum horsepower without sacrificing engine protection. DOMINATOR provides straight-grade protection in a multi-grade formulation.

Anti-Wear Formulation

Maximum Horsepower

Racing is Research™

Commercial Availability

APPLICATIONS
DOMINATOR 15W-50 Synthetic Racing Oil is recommended for asphalt late model, dirt late model, modified big block, endurance, rally, sprint, truck-pull, aluminum block, marine and other high-performance racing and street applications that require a 50-weight oil.

AMSOIL Ea® Racing Air Filters (EAAR) are specially designed for racing and street rod enthusiasts who desire AMSOIL Ea protection in carbureted applications. AMSOIL Ea Racing Air Filters are constructed with the same synthetic nanofiber media as other AMSOIL Ea Air Filters, providing maximum protection and extended filter life.

HEALTH & SAFETY
This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended application and according to the recommendations in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). An MSDS is available via the Internet at www.amsoil.com or upon request at (715) 392-7101. Keep Out of Reach of Children. Don’t pollute. Return used oil to collection centers.

For warranty information, visit www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx.

DOMINATOR® Synthetic 15W-50 Racing Oil (RD50)

6787 (-20)

-36 (-33)

238 (460)

250 (482)

Four Ball Wear Test

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Joey hes running an 11 second car! Big difference :D

nickleman60
05-11-2015, 04:42 PM

Try doing a search and you'll find that he has recommended it in many threads over the years....................

My engine is just as highly modded as any on this site, that's why I run it. I don't change it to a lighter weight in the winter like a lot of people on this site do because for one my car isn't a daily driver and I don't hardly ever drive it in the cold months.

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Joey hes running an 11 second car! Big difference :D

And so now you can see that my point then was actually "how is that relevant to my situation?" ;)

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 04:53 PM
And so now you can see that my point then was actually "how is that relevant to my situation?" ;)

I totally understand and continue to maintain what I have been stating.... :p

Unless your running 11's 12's cars

0w20, 5w20, 0w30, or 5w30 More than sufficient

But as far as brand hail to AMSOIL lol :D

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Try doing a search and you'll find that he has recommended it in many threads over the years....................

My engine is just as highly modded as any on this site, that's why I run it. I don't change it to a lighter weight in the winter like a lot of people on this site do because for one my car isn't a daily driver and I don't hardly ever drive it in the cold months.

Yes, I'm familiar with the search feature here. Like when I found this quote from who I presume you are referring to:

I would never use 20w50 on a street motor though
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?124411-Amsoil-xl-5w-20/page2

Unless 20W50 is hugely different from 15W50?

My point was that I was specifically looking for info relative to my situation which I outlined in my first post. So just saying that you run 15W50, or that your builder recommended it, doesn't really help me unless you say why.

DD builds lots of engines, but he didn't build mine (unfortunately :o), so that is why I was looking for some "experts" to help me understand what is best for my specific circumstances.

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 05:04 PM
I totally understand and continue to maintain what I have been stating.... :p

Unless your running 11's 12's cars

0w20, 5w20, 0w30, or 5w30 More than sufficient

But as far as brand hail to AMSOIL lol :D

I don't think it is that simple George. What if I took my SC to the track tomorrow and it ran in the 12's? Does that now mean I should run 15W50? What if I don't take it to the track and just consider it to be a street engine, and I drive it to Carlisle, to a car show here and there, and on little outings, flooring it occasionally on the highway and at an isolated STOP signs? Then are the oils you mentioned more suitable? In both cases the motor is the same.

So if my motor is capable of running 12's, maybe I should use 15W50. Or maybe despite that it is capable, since I don't drive it very hard very often, I should stick with a xW30.

I bet Mad Mikey knows! :D (And he doesn't waste a lot of space cutting and pasting web pages from Amsoil onto this thread,lol):rolleyes:

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 05:12 PM
I don't think it is that simple George. What if I took my SC to the track tomorrow and it ran in the 12's? Does that now mean I should run 15W50? What if I don't take it to the track and just consider it to be a street engine, and I drive it to Carlisle, to a car show here and there, and on little outings, flooring it occasionally on the highway and at an isolated STOP signs? Then are the oils you mentioned more suitable? In both cases the motor is the same.

So if my motor is capable of running 12's, maybe I should use 15W50. Or maybe despite that it is capable, since I don't drive it very hard very often, I should stick with a xW30.

I bet Mad Mikey knows! :D (And he doesn't waste a lot of space cutting and pasting web pages from Amsoil onto this thread,lol):rolleyes:

Exactly if its a 11's or 12's car you absolutely would run the 15w50 or on those lines wether you drove to Carlisle or Grandmas house the engine doesn't know where your driving!

Point being you would need that protection because of the substantial mods and the occasional pedal to the floor as you stated! The other oils just wouldn't be sufficient enough then I would want those viscosity's to be safe then sorry...

The only difference is I would run the 5w50 Amsoil instead of 15w50 it has much better protection at start up where most of the wear occurs...

Were all trying to help you by the way here is another paste just to get under your skin LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Signature Series 5W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil

AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is engineered to outperform conventional and synthetic motor oils. It combines industry-premier synthetic technology with AMSOIL premium additives in a unique formulation that exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines. Signature Series delivers the performance and value upon which the AMSOIL reputation is built. The culmination of more than 40 years of expertise, its exclusive formulation raises the bar for motor oil performance.

Product Code: AMRQT-EA Ordering Instructions

Package Size: Quart
Unit of Measure: Each Case of 12
Quantity:
Retail Price (USD):

Package sizes include:

•Quart Bottle

WarrantyMSDSData Sheet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL, the First in Synthetics®, to do the best job protecting your engine.

Protects Your Engine
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil provides outstanding anti-wear protection. It develops a strong fluid film that keeps metal surfaces separated while its robust anti-wear additives further reduce wear in metal-to-metal contact regions for maximum engine life. In the Sequence IIIG test, which is normally run for 100 hours, AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil delivered outstanding wear protection for the camshaft and lifters, even after doubling the test interval to 200 hours. For details, see the Double-Length Sequence IIIG Engine Test Technical Study (G3320).

Maximizes Fuel Economy
Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is designed to maximize energy efficiency for optimum fuel economy. Unlike conventional oils, its uniform molecular structure helps it flow more freely and reduce friction between metal surfaces. Anti-friction additives are included to further improve energy efficiency.

Extends Drain Intervals

Keeps Pistons Clean
Excess piston deposits can lead to pre-ignition and engine knocking, which results in lost power, reduced fuel economy and, in severe cases, engine damage. Signature Series' premium additives and naturally high resistance to extreme heat help keep pistons clean for maximum engine performance. After a double-length, 200-hour Sequence IIIG engine test, Signature Series demonstrated outstanding cleanliness properties and shattered the requirements of a 100-hour test.

Sequence IIIG

Excels in Extreme Temperatures
Signature Series resists thermal (heat) breakdown better than conventional and synthetic motor oils. It is heavily fortified with detergent and dispersant additives to help prevent sludge deposits and keep engines clean. Unlike conventional oils, Signature Series contains no wax, staying fluid in sub-zero temperatures for easier starting, improved oil flow and reduced wear.

Reduces Oil Consumption and Emissions
Volatility (burn-off) occurs when oil gets hot, causing high oil consumption and emissions. Signature Series resists volatility better than other oils, helping reduce oil consumption and emissions.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-50 (AMR): API SN, SM...; Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)

COMPATIBILITY
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce its performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.

Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils.

SERVICE LIFE

Severe Service: Primarily short trips (less than 10 miles [16 km]); turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; first-time use of AMSOIL motor oil in a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles; frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions.
•Modified engines (non-stock) and those using E85 fuel are excluded from extended drain recommendations.
•Change at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended drain interval outside U.S. and Canada.
•AMSOIL Ea® Full-Flow Oil Filters are designed for extended change intervals. With other brands, do not exceed six months or 10,000 miles unless longer intervals are recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
•Check oil regularly to maintain proper fill levels.

AMSOIL Ea® Full-Flow Oil Filters are designed for extended change intervals. They stop smaller particles, flow more oil and last longer than regular filters. For best performance, use AMSOIL Ea Full-Flow Oil Filters.

AMSOIL PRODUCT WARRANTY
AMSOIL products are backed by a Limited Liability Warranty. For complete information visit www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx.

HEALTH & SAFETY
This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended application and according to the recommendations in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS). An SDS is available via the Internet at www.amsoil.com or upon request at (715) 392-7101. Keep Out of Reach of Children. Don’t pollute. Return used oil to collection centers.

For warranty information, visit www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx.

AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic 5W-50 Motor Oil (AMR)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270)

CCS Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (ASTM D5293
5052 (-30)

Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)
230 (446)

Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)
252 (486)

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D97)
-47 (-53)

NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D5800)

@ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1), cP (ASTM D5481)

Four-Ball Wear Test @ 40 kgf, 75ºC,
1200 rpm, 1 hr, scar diameter, mm (ASTM D4172)

Total Base Number (ASTM D2896)

nickleman60
05-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Yes, I'm familiar with the search feature here. Like when I found this quote from who I presume you are referring to:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?124411-Amsoil-xl-5w-20/page2

Unless 20W50 is hugely different from 15W50?

My point was that I was specifically looking for info relative to my situation which I outlined in my first post. So just saying that you run 15W50, or that your builder recommended it, doesn't really help me unless you say why.

DD builds lots of engines, but he didn't build mine (unfortunately :o), so that is why I was looking for some "experts" to help me understand what is best for my specific circumstances.

Here's a quote from Dave in this thread: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?63873-The-path-to-450rwhp-or-at-least-mine&highlight=mobil+15w50

"However, I am an absolute FIRM believer in the value of the 15w50 Mobile 1 oil. The best thing you can do for your motor and I'm sticking to that."

Dave didn't build my motor either but my car does see a lot of track time, although none lately. To each there own, run what you think is best for your car.

XR7 Dave
05-11-2015, 06:00 PM
The most important thing regarding oil selection is selecting one that complements the operating clearances in your engine. When Ford made the SC they matched 5w30, with 30 being the important #, with the clearances in a new SC engine. Since none of of you have new SC engines, you can't follow that recommendation anymore. I suggest you get an oil pressure gauge and select an oil viscosity that will generate at least 35psi oil pressure at fully hot idle but no more than 50psi (at least 30 minutes of driving, preferably on the highway). This is not because 35psi is a magic number, it's because I know that is a number that will get you good results. That's a good place to start and then in some cases some modifications from that formula based on a variety of application specific conditions can be implemented.

Beyond that most of it is all marketing hype.

PS. And yes there is a big difference between 15w50 and 20w50.

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Here's a quote from Dave in this thread: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?63873-The-path-to-450rwhp-or-at-least-mine&highlight=mobil+15w50

"However, I am an absolute FIRM believer in the value of the 15w50 Mobile 1 oil. The best thing you can do for your motor and I'm sticking to that."

Dave didn't build my motor either but my car does see a lot of track time, although none lately. To each there own, run what you think is best for your car.

Thanks for the link! Yes, I'm trying to figure out which is best for my car! (Without it devolving into an Amsoil commercial...) :p

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 06:27 PM
The most important thing regarding oil selection is selecting one that complements the operating clearances in your engine. When Ford made the SC they matched 5w30, with 30 being the important #, with the clearances in a new SC engine. Since none of of you have new SC engines, you can't follow that recommendation anymore. I suggest you get an oil pressure gauge and select an oil viscosity that will generate at least 35psi oil pressure at fully hot idle but no more than 50psi (at least 30 minutes of driving, preferably on the highway). This is not because 35psi is a magic number, it's because I know that is a number that will get you good results. That's a good place to start and then in some cases some modifications from that formula based on a variety of application specific conditions can be implemented.

Fortunately, I just bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge, which I will install very soon.

So here's the question then: Given my situation and that part I posted earlier from the engine builder, what weight oil should I start with that might give me the best chance of hitting those psi sweet spots? (To see if I can get lucky and get it right on the first try :D) Dave, I believe you may have offered some guidance to Rob (90sc35thann) when he was putting it all together a few years ago...

1FSTBRD
05-11-2015, 07:00 PM

This type of information is why this place is awesome.....it cuts right through the noise to something tangibly useful.

XR7 Dave
05-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Fortunately, I just bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge, which I will install very soon.

So here's the question then: Given my situation and that part I posted earlier from the engine builder, what weight oil should I start with that might give me the best chance of hitting those psi sweet spots? (To see if I can get lucky and get it right on the first try :D) Dave, I believe you may have offered some guidance to Rob (90sc35thann) when he was putting it all together a few years ago...

I don't understand why you guys are so worried about it. Put some Walmart 10w30 in it and go from there. I think some people try to read way too much into this. If you never drive the car and don't abuse it, then it makes little difference what oil you put in it. I'm just saying that viscosity is a lot more important than some magical additive.

Side note: If you use an additive, make sure it's the same brand as your oil. Not all base stock and additive packages are compatible, regardless of what the package says.

MadMikeyL
05-11-2015, 08:49 PM

??

I wasn't saying that one oil is better or worse than another, just that given the low mileage your car sees, you won't be taking advantage of the advantages a synthetic oil offers, since the oil needs to be changed every year regardless, and I would actually reccomend changing it twice a year unless it is stored in a climate controlled garage. To answer your question, the pricey synthetics like Amsoil are definitely overkill in your application. As was stated by XR7Dave, which brand synthetic oil you run is far less important than what viscosity you run. Also as he said, based on the clearances Ford specified, you want a 30 weight oil. Your engine builder mentioned running slightly larger clearances for the ring gap and the piston to cylinder wall, but as long as your bearing clearances are the same as factory spec, you should still be running a 30 weight oil. If someone has an old worn out engine, or if it was rebuilt with larger than stock bearing clearances for some reason, then a 40 or 50 weight oil might be better suited to that engine. Given that your engine was rebuilt, and not by you, and you don't know the actual bearing clearances, deciding on a weight based on actual pressure readings is a good idea.

05-11-2015, 08:53 PM
I would not be afraid to run NAPA oil. It was run in the last company F-250 that i had. That truck went 254,000 plus. Two altenators, a fuel pump, two tune ups. Nothing done at all to that 5.4 Triton. No oil consuption no leaks. It was an 04 four wheel drive. I work for a company that does heavy construction and landfills, this truck was not babied. It was sold at auction. But you know that Valvoline makes NAPA oil. 5-30 summer. 5-20 winter. Full synthetic since it was new, I think the first two changes were motorcraft oil and filter.

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 09:10 PM
I don't understand why you guys are so worried about it. Put some Walmart 10w30 in it and go from there. I think some people try to read way too much into this. If you never drive the car and don't abuse it, then it makes little difference what oil you put in it. I'm just saying that viscosity is a lot more important than some magical additive.

Side note: If you use an additive, make sure it's the same brand as your oil. Not all base stock and additive packages are compatible, regardless of what the package says.

I guess because I don't want to just throw any old oil in it and hope for the best, lol. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to want to understand as much as I can about any given aspect of my SC... And I'd rather start with an informed decision than go through a more expensive and time consuming trial and error when it comes to buying oil and doing oil changes, on a car that needs about 1 oil change a year. Although interesting how you mentioned to start with 10W30, which is also the oil that Rob used, which led me to this post to understand why, when there are so many different oil weights and viscosities that seem to be used by folks here.

This type of information is why this place is awesome.....it cuts right through the noise to something tangibly useful.

I agree!

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 09:23 PM
I wasn't saying that one oil is better or worse than another, just that given the low mileage your car sees, you won't be taking advantage of the advantages a synthetic oil offers, since the oil needs to be changed every year regardless, and I would actually reccomend changing it twice a year unless it is stored in a climate controlled garage. To answer your question, the pricey synthetics like Amsoil are definitely overkill in your application. As was stated by XR7Dave, which brand synthetic oil you run is far less important than what viscosity you run. Also as he said, based on the clearances Ford specified, you want a 30 weight oil. Your engine builder mentioned running slightly larger clearances for the ring gap and the piston to cylinder wall, but as long as your bearing clearances are the same as factory spec, you should still be running a 30 weight oil. If someone has an old worn out engine, or if it was rebuilt with larger than stock bearing clearances for some reason, then a 40 or 50 weight oil might be better suited to that engine. Given that your engine was rebuilt, and not by you, and you don't know the actual bearing clearances, deciding on a weight based on actual pressure readings is a good idea.

Actually, that was really directed at George, not you... It is stored in a garage, but not a heated garage. I will install the gauge and start with a 5W30 and see what the readings are. As far as the mileage I put on it, I'm pretty sure I'm not unique in that area considering how many have multiple SC's that are not daily drivers, and not driven in the winter, or in the rain, etc... (Obviously if an SC is a track only vehicle that is a whole different ball of wax!)

George95PearlSC
05-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Actually, that was really directed at George, not you... It is stored in a garage, but not a heated garage. I will install the gauge and start with a 5W30 and see what the readings are. As far as the mileage I put on it, I'm pretty sure I'm not unique in that area considering how many have multiple SC's that are not daily drivers, and not driven in the winter, or in the rain, etc... (Obviously if an SC is a track only vehicle that is a whole different ball of wax!)

I am confident you will be pleasantly surpeised after all this is said and done that the 5w30 viscosity wi.l give you 4he psi sweet spot reading your looking for and that I am on point.

I havent gotte. Super technical with you and tried to keep it simplistic as this is b3ing overly analyzed

Good luck and let us know the results

joenintiesc
05-11-2015, 10:23 PM
I am confident you will be pleasantly surpeised after all this is said and done that the 5w30 viscosity wi.l give you 4he psi sweet spot reading your looking for and that I am on point.

I havent gotte. Super technical with you and tried to keep it simplistic as this is b3ing overly analyzed

Good luck and let us know the results

Lol, George no offense, but you have come across as an Amsoil fanboy or sales rep trying to help Amsoil sell more oil!

I'm sure if you tried to get "super technical" it would be interesting, considering the spelling in you last post... :eek::p (Cutting and pasting from other sources does not count as being super technical, but all of the looong Amsoil propaganda that you cut and pasted into all those posts, which you know as well as anyone that nobody was going to read through, only serves to sabotage my original legitimate inquiry by making it impossible for anyone to quickly scan through the thread and add to the discussion...)

And I never disagreed with you that 5W30 was wrong, I only was trying to get clarification from you about what I thought were contradictory statments.

George95PearlSC
05-12-2015, 07:16 AM
Lol, George no offense, but you have come across as an Amsoil fanboy or sales rep trying to help Amsoil sell more oil!

I'm sure if you tried to get "super technical" it would be interesting, considering the spelling in you last post... :eek::p (Cutting and pasting from other sources does not count as being super technical, but all of the looong Amsoil propaganda that you cut and pasted into all those posts, which you know as well as anyone that nobody was going to read through, only serves to sabotage my original legitimate inquiry by making it impossible for anyone to quickly scan through the thread and add to the discussion...)

And I never disagreed with you that 5W30 was wrong, I only was trying to get clarification from you about what I thought were contradictory statments.

I wasn't trying to be a Amsoil salesman, just sharing in what I feel is a top notch quality product.

Sorry about the spelling in the last post, I was on the Samsung pad and its small and my eyes were hurting last night when I sent that I was tired.

Exactly my point as I said I wasn't trying to get technical in my input, but I was just trying to send some technical info supporting the product quality itself to maybe help you decipher what you feel about it.

I don't feel its propaganda or I wouldn't have shared it. There are a lot of positive reviews and independent studies to prove it.

I wasn't trying to sabotage your original inquiry at all, I felt I was helping you.

I do understand about what your saying regarding the long posts pasted, I was somewhat in the end being playful with you.

I may not come off as being educated or articulate as you are always sure to correct me, but no offense taken!

Glad you don't disagree about the 5w30 before I am doubtful they built your engine with some substantial different bearing clearances unlikely!

Best of luck with your choice I gave you my input, have nothing more to say about it for now unless you ask me directly

joenintiesc
05-12-2015, 08:40 AM
I wasn't trying to be a Amsoil salesman, just sharing in what I feel is a top notch quality product.

Sorry about the spelling in the last post, I was on the Samsung pad and its small and my eyes were hurting last night when I sent that I was tired.

Exactly my point as I said I wasn't trying to get technical in my input, but I was just trying to send some technical info supporting the product quality itself to maybe help you decipher what you feel about it.

I don't feel its propaganda or I wouldn't have shared it. There are a lot of positive reviews and independent studies to prove it.

I wasn't trying to sabotage your original inquiry at all, I felt I was helping you.

I do understand about what your saying regarding the long posts pasted, I was somewhat in the end being playful with you.

I may not come off as being educated or articulate as you are always sure to correct me, but no offense taken!

Glad you don't disagree about the 5w30 before I am doubtful they built your engine with some substantial different bearing clearances unlikely!

Best of luck with your choice I gave you my input, have nothing more to say about it for now unless you ask me directly

I would just ask that in the future if you could post a link to the page that happens to contain a lot of information, instead of copying and pasting all of it into the thread, it would help in keeping a clean and unbloated look to the thread! I'm sure others would appreciate it to! :D

As far as 5W30 is concerned, like I mentioned it it what I'm using now, and what I have always used. A little birdie told me last year that 5W20 is the correct spec now, so I thought I'd post here and see what others thought would be appropriate for my circumstances before I do my next OC.

George95PearlSC
05-12-2015, 09:31 AM
I would just ask that in the future if you could post a link to the page that happens to contain a lot of information, instead of copying and pasting all of it into the thread, it would help in keeping a clean and unbloated look to the thread! I'm sure others would appreciate it to! :D

As far as 5W30 is concerned, like I mentioned it it what I'm using now, and what I have always used. A little birdie told me last year that 5W20 is the correct spec now, so I thought I'd post here and see what others thought would be appropriate for my circumstances before I do my next OC.

I totally understand your right, I am still getting used to this social media stuff and what's proper educate.

Yes I did tell you that spec was changed which it was.. but it was mainly for fuel conserving more then anything. What you run (5w30) is fine they ran it in the SC before ever changing spec. I thought I was clear when I mentioned the bulletin/change per Ford. That's why I maintain either choice is fine 5w20 or 5w30 but if to choose between those then 0w20 or 0w30 is ultimately the best out of those viscosity because 0w flows better at start up where the majority of wear occurs at that time, and w20 / w30 is were the oil viscosity (thicker) is at operating temp where needed. w50 is a wider rang of protection it wont hurt at all just prob not necessary unless like I mentioned the engine is extremely mod out running 11's and 12's but just recapping if and when I run W50 it will be 5w50 not 15w50 the 5w will flow better at start up for much better protection - now again if the engine has wear that justifies this or bearing clearance when built is dramatically different then yes 15w50...

For you and I 5w20 or 5w30 high quality synthetic, with properties to protect as well for short trips, long term sitting yada yada is what we need
I feel comfortable with the product I am using.

I really didn't mean to strike up such a concern I apologize on that level :D

joenintiesc
05-12-2015, 03:13 PM
I totally understand your right, I am still getting used to this social media stuff and what's proper educate.

I believe the technical term is "etiquette".

:rolleyes:;):p:o:D

George95PearlSC
05-12-2015, 05:14 PM
I believe the technical term is "etiquette".

:rolleyes:;):p:o:D

I thought it was ED-A-QUIT LMFAO

George95PearlSC
05-13-2015, 10:35 AM
I thought it was ED-A-QUIT LMFAO

Did you get to do the Oil PSI readings yet?

David Neibert
05-13-2015, 02:24 PM
I just followed Dave's recommendation and installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge to periodically check pressure at cold and hot idle. I don't remember exactly what weight I'm currently using but I think it's Valvoline 5w40 full synthetic and I get around 85-90 psi cold start (depends on temp) and hot idle is around 40 psi. I could probably use 5W30 but just feel better using the 40 weight when racing it. BTW, you don't need to put the oil pressure gauge inside the car, you can just mount it under the hood like I did.

https://youtu.be/A__W6LGyBqM

David

joenintiesc
05-23-2015, 11:31 AM
I just followed Dave's recommendation and installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge to periodically check pressure at cold and hot idle. I don't remember exactly what weight I'm currently using but I think it's Valvoline 5w40 full synthetic and I get around 85-90 psi cold start (depends on temp) and hot idle is around 40 psi. I could probably use 5W30 but just feel better using the 40 weight when racing it. BTW, you don't need to put the oil pressure gauge inside the car, you can just mount it under the hood like I did.

https://youtu.be/A__W6LGyBqM

David

Well, I have an electric oil pressure gauge I need to install to fill up my 3 gauge pod. I want to use the tee fitting to keep the stock sending unit along with the gauge sending unit so the low oil pressure warning light will still work on the dash. I just hope I can fit it all in that tight space...