Headlight Switch Quality

partsetal

I replaced the MF switch and the headlight switch in my 90 SC with Motorcraft parts some 10 years ago. Now the lights cycle after an hour of night time driving (Fog Lamps Off). I don't want to add a relay and think another switch would buy me some time. I can get another Motorcraft switch thru my obsolete connections of just get one from Rock Auto. The choices there are: Airtex/Wells, Standard Motor Parts, and Motorcraft (Since this parts is obsolete at Ford, I'm not sure what this Motorcraft offering is) Are any of these switches stronger/more reliable than the one I replaced 10 yrs ago? Thanks,
Carl

I think they will all be the same quality level, but I would pick Standard. Of course if one comes with a better warranty (and they all cost the same), pick it.

I think Wells makes the MC branded switch.

Any particular reason why you don't want to add a relay and fix the problem, instead of swapping the switch and leaving the problem there?

RwP

Why do you not want to add a relay? That will not only prevent this problem from ever recurring, but it will also make your headlights brighter. That really is the right fix for this problem.

I've never been a fan of cutting into factory wiring both from a safety aspect and a wiring integrity issue.

From a safety aspect, you want a relay. All that current going through a switch behind the dash where it gets hot and has no airflow makes for a potential fire hazard. As far as wire integrity, do it properly with soldering and heat shrink tubing, and you will never have an issue with it. As I said before, the right fix for this problem is wiring in a relay. Replacing the switch is just a band-aid.

I've never been a fan of cutting into factory wiring both from a safety aspect and a wiring integrity issue.

I'vd got stock wiring, auto-lamp, etc. and no issues. The headlight housings and bulbs (Xenon low beams only) are new. The headlight switch was in the car when I got it in 2008.

I make sure all connections and grounds are fresh and clean...that includes the body and header panel grouped-grounds. An EVTM will help to show where they all are. As well, I've replaced 32 bulbs in my '90 SC with LEDs that help to reduce the load across circuits and switches. I rarely use my fog lights, I rely on thin LEDs as DRL and leave autolamps on so the daylight sensor can decide, with a short delay when shutting down the car.

I'm in no hurry to patch in relays and/or otherwise mod the factory wiring. The only switch I've replaced so far was the fog light switch...it was gummed up from lack of use, I guess. Fogs are LED now.

Who said anything about cutting into the wiring?

I've got a nice relay harness, plugs into the driver's side light socket and provides new wiring across the front of my Cougar.

Depending on the year, for Gen1s you would want something like http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30817 and for the 94/95 you'd want one like http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30816 (Note: Painless is NOT the only provider! This is a "typical example is" not a "the part you need is" post!)

I went one step further and used a custom built harness to convert my 1991 Cougar from the 9007 to use a 9005/9006 pair in the Grand Marquis headlights (a Cougar thing, not needed for 89-93 SCs since you're already 9005/9006).

RwP

Until they went to BCM headlamp control FOMOCO stuff had a circuit breaker in the headlamp switch.

And as long as I've been wrenching, Ford circuit breakers, for whatever reason, get, for lack of a better word, weak.

Headlamps work fine for the first 15/30 minutes then the breaker gets hot enouph to start opening/closing at about 30 to 45 second intervals.
I always just replaced the switch which held up fine till my customer sold the car.....after that ??????

I think the relay add on is a great idea....even a marginal internal circuit breaker will not experience any significant load.

For the same reason, load control, I replaced my fog bulbs with LED's.....figured they really aren't much more than a decoration and the car doesn't go out in fog anyways.
They work great with the benifit of not fretting about the switch or harness overheating.

My thoughts,
Rob

Back