odd transmission question

Metalcorpse

So some of you reading my posts learned of my trasmission sadly going out on my xr7. I am a tad confused though, I was told by someone that usually reverse goes out fist, then 1st up to 4th. This made sense except for the fact that my reverse through second gear work fine until i hit about 40mph then it starts to slip....so which is correct? btw my transmission just went out at once, I was driving home (75mph) and it began to slowly drop speed until it hit 45.

Manual or Auto?

I'm only familar with the Auto, OD is the most common failure which can have debris destroy the rest of the clutches

The most common failure of an AOD is losing OD first, then other gears will start to slip or go out completely. I also had one that lost OD, and the rest of the gears worked fine for another 15K miles before I junked the car. I also had one fail that lost reverse and 2nd gear simultaneously, but 1st, 3rd, and 4th were fine. Basically what I am saying here is that they can and do fail in any number of ways

Who ever put the transmission in last probly didn't flush the cooler and lines. Common mistake. Might be why it's failing. Or, cooler flow is restricted. What caused the failure may not have been fixed in the first place. Also, it may need a calibration kit.

Last edited:
Can you explain the calibration kit? You've talked about poor EEC programming on the 94/95 model SCs that eats transmissions. I'd like to know more.

Back