Magnaflow Downpipes for 89

BUDXR7

A while back I purchased the magnaflow direct fit downpipes and cats. Driver side -23394 and Passenger side 23393. Well,the drivers side slips right in place no problem. The passenger side is another story. The pipe doesn't quite line up with the manifold so I can only get one side of the flange on the studs. I noticed the hanger was too long and running right into the transmission so I cut that back an inch and tried again. Still no luck and I was applying a fair amount of force. Other issue is the downpipe has no bung for the O2 sensor.

The questions are, anybody else had trouble with this? Is this downpipe intended for 94-95? Has everybody else with an 89-93 had to weld their own O2 bung on this part?

Yep, used those several times and it is not made right and you do need to add your own bung. Better than a kick in the head but not a lot better. lol You'll have to get it welded.

used those several times and it is not made right and you do need to add your own bung.

Alright, I didn't see that definitively mentioned in past threads (nor in Magnaflow lit). No problem on the O2 bung. How about the fit of the pipe Dave? Do I need to get this bent a little bit or are you of the opinion I can coerce this to line up with an 89-93 passenger side manifold? Maybe changing the angle of the hanger?

What a ~~~~. Thinking about contacting Magnaflow. I'd say "direct fit" is false advertising.

I am really starting to dislike Chip Foose and his stupid Wreck Em Ralph face.

Attachments

• image(3).jpg
    image(3).jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 274
Not trying to butt in on the op's thread but just wondering if these down pipes give any gain in HP? I put full 3" Kooks down pipes on my EcoBoost F150 and it made a fairly significant increase in power. Is this the same for the SC?

Thanks

The pipes do not increase HP, but they are a good replacement for up to 300rwhp applications.

I cut the passenger side pipe and lined everything up and rewelded. Not sure exactly what I did because it's been a year or so.

The kit pictured above is a 94/5 kit, the one the OP asked about is the 89-93 pipes which are sold separately, not as a kit.

Another Exhaust Question

Didn't want to start another exhaust thread so I'll build off my own.

I ended up bring my parts to a shop back in May to have them fitted to my car. They did a neat looking job but I noticed when I drove home under certain engine loads / vehicle speeds / suspension load there was a rubbing noise. I can't nail down the EXACT combination that causes it but it definitely started after the new down tubes and resonator were installed. Not having a lift I can only slide under the car to feel around for contact. The best I can tell is the resonator is actually contacting the drive shaft under certain conditions. Mind you the resonator back is all stock and on stock hangers. I am bringing the car back so we can put it on a lift and diagnose it. If it's the drive shaft contacting I expect them to fix it at no charge but I'm considering replacing the stock mufflers at the same time for something with a little more growl.

Yes, this is purely about the sound and maybe a bit cosmetic (I'd like minimally visible mufflers with some nice satin stainless steel turn down tips to clear the bumper). So I've been scouring the muffler options and exhaust threads here. Just about every sound clip I hear, regardless of combination, is high (varying) pitched and raspy except for this one (dthompson);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F35rAwOzQcA

Those were cherry bomb votex mufflers and I'm not sure anybody else makes something similar in design. To be fair, there have been endless different combinations tried so it's never apples to apples comparison. Why is that we can't get our exhaust to sound like one of the V6 mustangs (magnaflow)? Is it muffler placement? Tail pipe length? Listen here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo478m7whnw

I am nearing a decision. I am considering either magnaflow straight through (don't know how much difference there would be on a 4x9x14 oval versus the 4x14 round) or the mangnaflow XL chambered. I want to avoid tinny, raspy and drone. The mufflers will be in combination with stock manifolds, magnaflow 2" downtubes with hi-flow cats, magnaflow 18" resonator (12280) 2 in 1 out, and stock center pipe. I will go with 2.25" mufflers.

Last bit of food for thought. I've read that some model mustangs actually used two different mufflers to tune the sound and avoid drone. Any truth to this? Anybody here ever used mismatched mufflers? Interesting idea. I wouldn't see the harm as long as your running a single mid pipe split in the rear.

get some from scp, ive had the catless down pipes on 2x of my cars now and they were a direct perfect fit.welded rite into spot or you could use those new style exhaust bandclamp things..

side note: Chip Foose is a clown and his customs look horrible and just ruin the lines on the vehicles he uses and his rims are ALL UGLY ! chip,blah.

off topic

get some from scp, ive had the catless down pipes on 2x of my cars now and they were a direct perfect fit.welded rite into spot or you could use those new style exhaust bandclamp things..

This doesn't address the question. The down pipes are done. I am asking questions about the mufflers at this point. Magnaflow straigh through vs. xl chambered vs cherry bomb vortex, etc...

I have heard from several people that the best muffler for our car sounds wise is borla...don't know a number though.

Latest on this is that we put the car on the lift and agreed there likely wasn't any rubbing. The dude banged on the OEM muffler to see if any baffles or internal pipes were loose. Nothing. His theory was that my stock mufflers weren't designed to take the flow from the magnaflow res and cats. The sound I'm hearing is likely some kind of resonant frequency and I should replace the mufflers. The chain of shops (Lou's exhaust) has there own mufflers made for them that look very similar to the borla xs. They are straight through. They are polished 409ss. He quoted me $450 installed with stainless turn down tips.

Is this a reasonable price? Should I roll the dice on his mufflers? Or should I get my own mufflers and get a quote for labor only? What do you guys think is fair on labor only muffler install?

Not so fast , OEM mufflers can take a lot of flow ,others on here have used them for 300+ HP. What Magnaflow kit did you get?

Back