View Full Version : Valve cover gaskets?

05-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Ok, I know I might get the boot from this site after I admit this, but I do NOT own a Super Coupe. My bad, I own a regular 89 T bird though and I need advise please. I love this old girl though, 89 stock Thunderbird with only 96,000 miles. Not a scratch, not a ding, the interior is immaculate and she drives like a dream. I bought her just to have a good third vehicle, but I've become so attached to her I really enjoy driving her quite often. Anyway, I'm pretty sure my significant oil leak is coming from the driver's side valve cover. My question is, do I need to take the big intake off that hangs over the valve cover? Or is there a tricky way to access the bolts and slip it out? If I do have to take that off, what precautions should I be aware of?

And yes, a chilton manual has been ordered and it's on its way. I just want to get a head start instead of waiting for it to arrive.


05-22-2015, 10:29 PM
That's generally the idea. If it's in your way, move it. That would be the upper intake. I can't remember if it has a Multi Layer Steel gasket there or a fiber one. You may need the upper intake gasket. Just unscrew the hard line from the EGR, take the support bracket off the side that hangs over the valve cover. Remove the bolts holding the upper intake to the lower, which are the bolts in the center. You should be able to leave most everything else on and just flop it over. Make sure to either tape over or block both newly exposed sides of the intake runners to prevent Foreign Material Entry. If it's a fiber gasket, take care not to get any of it in the runners as you work to get it off.