After rotor and pad change......

SuperCoupeDave

My breaks don't work as good as they did. I seem to have to give it a lot of leg to get it to stop, and to hold in while waiting at a light. What would cause this?

Also at the same time, my speedometer doesn't read correctly until I drive it many miles. If I let it sit for a week or 2, It will only go up to 15 mph and gradually get better and better. Any ideas?

By the way, this is on my 89 with 50k miles.

Thanks in advance

Did you release/set the pad tensioners after installing the front calipers? They shouldn't sit up/out...

The speedometer problem is not related to the brakes. It could really only be from 3 sources as far as I know:
- Problem in the speedometer head (something sticky or failing motor drive) - seems unlikely, but possible.
- Problem in the wiring - seems unlikely based on description of symptoms
- Worn out speed sensor and/or driven gear at the transmission tailshaft. I would look at this first. The driven gear is plastic and can wear out over time.

As for the brakes - Is the pedal feel the same, but the effectiveness is less? Or are they mushy? Do you have a dropping pedal when sitting at a light?

I guess I don't understand what you mean. I did it like I would normally do a pad change.

There are long thin tension springs outboard on each pad that point back/down. Did you leave those outside, sitting on the face of the caliper, or did you use something to coax them down and underneath the lower caliper slide/rest?

They should go down/inside, otherwise you can get similar symptoms to what you listed above since the pad wants to stay further away from the rotor than designed.

There are long thin tension springs outboard on each pad that point back/down. Did you leave those outside, sitting on the face of the caliper, or did you use something to coax them down and underneath the lower caliper slide/rest?

They should go down/inside, otherwise you can get similar symptoms to what you listed above since the pad wants to stay further away from the rotor than designed.

Hmmmm, I'll have to check that. I really cant remember. Makes sense though. It feels like the back breaks are doing most of the work.

Back