Auto to stander swap 95 cougar 4.6

Flynner8009

Can u take 4r70w tranny out swap with a t45 5 speed can it be done and what would have to done to do it? Need help

Yes it can be done, and I have done it several times. You need the trans, flywheel, clutch, and clutch fork. You will also need a second shifter to make a remote mount shifter to move it back about 6" so it comes up in the hole in the center console. You will also need a clutch slave cylinder for a 94/95 Chevy S10 4-cyl, and to make a bracket to mount the slave on the side of the trans to push on the Mustang clutch fork. You will need a clutch pedal and master cylinder from an SC, and a custom line made to go from the SC master to the S10 slave. You will also need a new driveshaft that is 56.5" centerline to centerline. The cheap way out for that is a steel driveshaft from a non-police crown vic. Also you will need a tune to turn off the auto trans functions.

Yes it can be done, and I have done it several times. You need the trans, flywheel, clutch, and clutch fork. You will also need a second shifter to make a remote mount shifter to move it back about 6" so it comes up in the hole in the center console. You will also need a clutch slave cylinder for a 94/95 Chevy S10 4-cyl, and to make a bracket to mount the slave on the side of the trans to push on the Mustang clutch fork. You will need a clutch pedal and master cylinder from an SC, and a custom line made to go from the SC master to the S10 slave. You will also need a new driveshaft that is 56.5" centerline to centerline. The cheap way out for that is a steel driveshaft from a non-police crown vic. Also you will need a tune to turn off the auto trans functions.

Okay thanks I got a 96 mustang gt smashed would the pedals from that go into the cougar and just run cable clutch not a real big fan of hydro clutchs

Nope, different chassis and interior, certainly not a direct fit anyway! Only manual trans version of your platform was the 89-95 T-Bird SC and 89-90 Cougar XR-7.

Also take a look over at www.tccoa.com , more 4.6 people there that can help too.

cheers
Ed

To date, 2 people have allegedly made mustang pedals work, but neither one has ever posted pictures of it. I tried to make the Mustang pedal work, and short of making a complete custom dash, I decided it was not possible. Aside from just the issues of mounting the pedal to a firewall that is a completely different shape, and the issue that you would also likely need to convert to a Mustang brake booster and master cylinder since the Mustang clutch and brake pedals are one unit, you also have to account for that the Mustang cable setup needs room for the clutch quadrant to rotate, and that room simply does not exist under our dashboard. When I did my first T45 swap, the only way it had been done previously was with custom race parts with an aftermarket hydraulic throwout bearing. I did my first T45 swap on the cheap, and didn't have the money for those expensive parts, so I went scouring through other factory alternatives, and that is how I came up with the S10 slave setup. It is cheap, reliable, easy to buy a replacement at most auto parts stores, and if it goes bad, it is only about 20 minutes to replace it since it is mounted externally and you don't need to drop the trans to get to it. Since then, other people have done other external setups, but my S10 setup is cheap and fairly easy, so it has become a popular choice for people wanting a T45 in an MN12.

Back