Did an inline fuel filter mod for the PCV

1FSTBRD

I'd custom rigged up a fuel filter with a mesh filter screen, along with some tubing, for the PCV. It was a tight fit in there, but I rigged it up. I was thinking of using a catch can (have a custom system on my Mustang, which works well), but the problem is that I have no idea where i'd put it in this engine bay. Also, the Moroso air/ oil separator and the ME Wagner adjustable PCV cost me a minor fortune, so two cars would sink me. :D

There's just so much oil that gets into the engine and system. So far, it's working--a thin oily residue has built up, even after just a few KM's. If the oil goes back down into the engine, that's good.....all I want to do is get the blowby and crankcase fumes out of there while the engine is running, and keep the PCV still operational.

I run dual stage inline vapor traps mounted inside the fender with the stock airbox removed.

SC_VaporTraps.jpg

Took some effort to remote the lines, etc. but now it takes only a glance under the hood to check, and only minutes to clean both traps.

These are the minis from Harbor Freight $7. http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-air-line-filter-68225.html

image_13987.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that looks great! How do you think that the filtration is, with just one--like, how much do you find in the first stage of it, compared to the second stage, in terms of quantity overall and the ratio of what's in each one?

When I had the inline fuel filter on the PCV in my Mustang, after a year, i'd checked the upper intake/ lower intakes, and there was a bit of oil in there, but mostly crankcase fumes. I suspect that--minus an air/ oil separator--there will always be a small bit that gets by. With the Moroso on my Mustang, after a year, i'd checked the intakes, and there was the faintest bit of oily mist, but the EGR area had a ton of soot in comparison.

Has anyone done a filter or oil separator on the driver's side? It doesn't look like much gets in the actual air intake tube, but a tiny bit seems to get on the throttle body plate.

I ran one of those air compressor separators for a while (two actually), but I always found it to be messy, and the clear plastic bowl eventually became brittle and decided to shatter upon removal. After the second one failed, I switched over to a UPR universal separator and installed a simple petcock on the bottom for draining (which I do at the annual oil change). Yes, it's more expensive, but it's a one-time expense.

You should only need a separator on the crankcase to plenum side of the system. If you're seeing oil on the fresh air side of the system, that's no bueno.

How do you think that the filtration is, with just one--like, how much do you find in the first stage of it, compared to the second stage, in terms of quantity overall and the ratio of what's in each one?

With all the rain here, and mostly short drives (engine not hot enough to burn that stuff off naturally), I get the standard gasoline smelling tan milkshake w/heavier goo at the bottom, like a layer cake. Funny thing is they both fill at nearly the same rate.

My main interest is in minimizing what might coat the inside of the IC. They've been installed now going on 4 years. The only issue was sealing the tubing at the engine side and the original tubing didn't like the heat back there, but i reworked things it's been ok for some time now.

I ran one of those air compressor separators for a while (two actually), but I always found it to be messy, and the clear plastic bowl eventually became brittle and decided to shatter upon removal. After the second one failed, I switched over to a UPR universal separator and installed a simple petcock on the bottom for draining (which I do at the annual oil change). Yes, it's more expensive, but it's a one-time expense.

You should only need a separator on the crankcase to plenum side of the system. If you're seeing oil on the fresh air side of the system, that's no bueno.

I haven't seen oil on the fresh air (passenger) side, rather that I've seen oil a few inches down that tube (by the valve cover). I thought I'd remembered reading that someone was getting some oil through that line into their throttle body, but I thought that was odd.

Man, you guys should have seen my air/ oil separator on the Mustang in the middle of winter, with all of that rich running until the car gets warmed up. In the summer, it's mostly just oil in the separator (dark brown) with the occasional droplet of what looks like fuel vapors, but in the winter, it was like a muddy, light brown chocolate milkshake. It was gross.

Last edited:
Back