computer swap

turbospeed

i have heard from the turboford guys that they get better performance/idle/mileage, by swapping to later model computers
(84 to 88 etc) does it works in SC's too?

I've been told that you have to match the numbers on the EECs to match the units. But if you have a lap top and chip then there is no problem as you can change anything in the EEC that you want......I'm not sure if this is true or not.
Kurt Sr

The short answer is NO! There are many wiring differences and PCM differences through the years and very few units can be exchanged.

I put a 92 computer in my 89 to get data logging capabilities and we moved about 20 wires at the PCM to get it to work. None of the injectors were even triggered off of the same pin! Also the cruise control was on the computer in 89 and by 92 it had moved to a external unit.

Don't ever swap PCMs in a 'Bird until you have checked the wiring diagrams. Even the 5-speed/auto, egr/non egr computers can have differences for the same year 'Bird.

As Kurt mentioned you can do many things with the EEC-Tuner if you know what you are doing or pay someone who does. It can access and change many functions of the computer.

another option is just a computer chip. You will get better performance than either EEC would from the factory, and you don't have to swap. It's also a lot cheaper than an EEC tuner.

If you need more info on chips, e-mail me
Brian
bjherron@apten-us.com

Back