Another cooling fan ???

godavid

SCCoA Member
Fan runs intermittently, by that I mean the motor got hot yesterday and I noticed the fan was not working. Turn on the A/C no ref. but I knew or thought I knew the fan would come on and it did for a time and then the fan quit working altogether. This morning drove the car to the store and the fan came on high don't know about low when the temperature got to m normal cut-in for high I think. Then headed back home fan did not work when the guage reach the cut-in point. Got home after the eng cooled started it up and unplugged the ect sensor to see if the fan came on and it did not. The fan did come on when I turn the A/C on with the ect plug in. Another thing engine ran rough when the fan came on. Also when the engine was warm I noticed the engine was running faster than normal. Before the fan started acting up the engine ran like it had a miss at idle. Yesterday after the engine over heated when I turn the koeo the fan started then quit
From what I read it sounds like the ircm. If that is what it is where do I pick up these relays to rebuild the ircm?

thanks

Try and spin the fan by hand--make sure you have the keys on you when you do this. Also check for voltage at the motor plug, and ground; black is ground the other two are power. If ground is good but have no power (key in run position), check the Black/Orange wires at the IRCM/CCRM--this should be a constant hot circuit.

I replace the ect sensor because the codes indicted the voltage was too high. I also checked my receipts on the temp of my thermostat and it is a 160 deg. which if I'm reading these threads right I really need a 192 deg thermostat. My low speed fan came on between the O and R on my guage. I'm hoping that the ect sensor corrected the over heat problem. There is a lot of threads connected to the cooling problems.

thanks

roy in KC

Back