An in-depth look at the 526hp GT350’s 5.2-liter engine

Finally. When this first came out, all I got about it were tiny pictures in Car Craft and that it had a flat plane crank. Ford wasn't letting anything out for a while about this engine. Good find.

That's awesome! I watched the whole thing. The whole design is incredibly well thought out on their end.

One thing that i'm not that thrilled though, is the exhaust sound. It doesn't sound like a V8. Does anyone know if it's a Borla exhaust? I generally don't like the sound of Borla's, because I swear that it makes engines sound like they have two cylinders less than they do. The revved sound sounds pretty much like the Ecoboost 4. Or could it just be because it revs that high?

Seriously dissing Borlas? When I had my Cobra professionally tuned at a dyno day with a nationally known tuner I was on the low end of the HP scale. Much faster and higher dollar cars there. And every single one of them commented on how good my car sounded. Exactly like a v8 should.

There is more to the sound of a car than just the mufflers. The cam will have an effect on it. The brand of engine will sound different. Etc........

I too though don't think the sound of the GT350 is anything extraordinary. Good by production car standards but definitely needs an after market muffler on it. And maybe pull the converters. Then again it could just be the crappy speaker on your phone or computer that makes it sound less than desirable.

That's awesome! I watched the whole thing. The whole design is incredibly well thought out on their end.

One thing that i'm not that thrilled though, is the exhaust sound. It doesn't sound like a V8. Does anyone know if it's a Borla exhaust? I generally don't like the sound of Borla's, because I swear that it makes engines sound like they have two cylinders less than they do. The revved sound sounds pretty much like the Ecoboost 4. Or could it just be because it revs that high?

It will sound like a Ferrari, not a muscle car.

Any flat-plane V8 is going to sound like a 4-cylinder because effectively it is just 2 4-cylinders running together. What gives a V8 that distinctive sound is the uneven firing of the cylinders on each bank. If you wanted to, you could make a cross-plane crank 4-cylinder and it would sound like a V8.

Last edited:
An in-depth look at the 526 hp GT350's 5.2 liter engine

Hopefully, they replaced the poc Getrag 6 speed manual for a stouter transmission.
The guys on the corral.net, say the Getrag is NOT a good choice for a performance car.
Worse yet, FORD won't replace it.

I think it sounds great and in person the car looks and sounds even better, just not interested in a high revving NA motor. I'll wait for the next generation of v8 forced induction power.

David

Good to know on the flat plane crank as to why it doesn't sound like a typical V8.

Seriously dissing Borlas? When I had my Cobra professionally tuned at a dyno day with a nationally known tuner I was on the low end of the HP scale. Much faster and higher dollar cars there. And every single one of them commented on how good my car sounded. Exactly like a v8 should.

There is more to the sound of a car than just the mufflers. The cam will have an effect on it. The brand of engine will sound different. Etc........

I too though don't think the sound of the GT350 is anything extraordinary. Good by production car standards but definitely needs an after market muffler on it. And maybe pull the converters. Then again it could just be the crappy speaker on your phone or computer that makes it sound less than desirable.

I'm listening through KRK Rokit's, and those are professional studio grade speakers. :D Good point that there's other reasons why Borlas sound the way that they do (particular setups, etc), and undoubtedly, if the right magical setup happens that they can sound good, but as a personal thing from most setups that i've seen and heard in person (and on the 'net), they're just not for me. I'm not really a Flowmaster guy, either.

One of our customers routinely buys the latest/greatest Mustangs.. right now he has a 2010 GT vert, a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, and now a 2015 GT with all the trimmings. I'm sure he'll get a GT350 too... lucky ~~~, lol.

One of our customers routinely buys the latest/greatest Mustangs.. right now he has a 2010 GT vert, a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, and now a 2015 GT with all the trimmings. I'm sure he'll get a GT350 too... lucky ~~~, lol.

While it's his money and he's entitled to do whatever he wants with it, I'm always intrigued by people who obsessively collect multiple variations of one thing. You'd think with this kind of income stream that could sustain this habit (or willingness to take on debt), hopefully he has OTHER cars in his collection besides what seems to me to be very similar vehicles.

-g

Back