Serpentine Belt Options

rickbtbird

belt options

On my 95 SC I have a set of after market pulleys I don't remember the manufacture but they are light weight and chrome. The alternator pulley is slightly misaligned and the edges fray on the belt. Is there a thinner belt that can be had to prevent this from happening?

I think it was similar to Auto Specialties ASP-527328 only chrome. It was a replacement crank, alternator, and water pump.

Last edited:
Rick,

First, this thread should be in the technical forum. It will get more views and responses there.

As for your belt problem, I believe 94/95 alternators required a spacer for some aftermarket pulleys (March comes to mind). I would try adding a washer or modifying the pulley if necessary.

Good Luck,
Kurt

It's been a number of years since I installed it. Could also be the fulfillment of the 6G alternator. The guy working on my car now was asking about it. He wanted to face the back of the pulley but, there's really no material there to work with.

On my 95 SC I have a set of after market pulleys I don't remember the manufacture but they are light weight and chrome. I don't remember if the issue is because I have the 6g alternator but the under-drive alternator pulley is slightly misaligned and the edges fray on the belt. Since I cannot recess the pulley I need to look for other belt options. Is there a thinner belt that can be had to prevent this from happening?

I think it was similar to Auto Specialties ASP-527328 only chrome. It was a replacement crank, alternator, and water pump.

To generally answer your question...you could run a 6 rib belt setup and align it in the middle ribs...not sure if this is the response you were looking for when you said "thinner belt".

-Tim

Rick,

As for your belt problem, I believe 94/95 alternators required a spacer for some aftermarket pulleys (March comes to mind). I would try adding a washer or modifying the pulley if necessary.

Good Luck,
Kurt

Ditto what Kurt said.

Ditto what Kurt said.

It sounds like what he is saying is that the pulley is too far extended and he can remove material off the back, which sounds like what David neibert was talking about when he said he had to cut the lip off of his 6g alternator...the spacer would only be helpful if the pulley was too far recessed correct?

It sounds like what he is saying is that the pulley is too far extended and he can remove material off the back, which sounds like what David neibert was talking about when he said he had to cut the lip off of his 6g alternator...the spacer would only be helpful if the pulley was too far recessed correct?

Correct, 6G required removal of ridge on the alternator case to allow the SC pulley to fit/align correctly. Using the typical .100 thick spacer washer behind the pulley, stopped the rubbing on the case, but pulley was then too far forward. This is not the case with a standard SC alternator, because they usually need a spacer behind the pulley for proper alignment.

David

Back