PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Sender / Sensor replacmenet

rickbtbird
06-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Is it necessary to do anything besides cleaning the pain out of the threads when replacing the temperature Sender / Sensor?

KMT
06-17-2015, 12:07 AM
I can think of at least two things you should pay attention to when replacing the stock coolant temp sender (for the stock temp gauge):

- Confirm the push-on connector is free from corrosion (shiny, not dull) and fits snug on the sender's stem when attached
- Be sure that the system is allowed to bleed any trapped air

Most new senders come pre-coated with sealant, so all you need to do after cleaning the fitting on the housing is to just install it snug enough to seal.

rickbtbird
06-17-2015, 06:04 AM
No need to drain out any coolant before hand?

HwyStar
06-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Nope. Did mine yesterday. Take the old one out and with the system closed otherwise, the coolant will not go anywhere. If it's cool.

KMT
06-17-2015, 10:21 AM
No need to drain out any coolant before hand?

I've changed mine more than once and never had to do that. Leave the cap on, be sure the engine is cold. Dribble a bit of coolant into the stem and fill it if you like to help avoid an air pocket.

rickbtbird
06-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Got a Moto craft new one coming for the weekend. I'll give it shot.

David Neibert
06-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Is it necessary to do anything besides cleaning the pain out of the threads when replacing the temperature Sender / Sensor?

Are you taking about the single wire sensor for the gauge or the multiple wire one the computer uses ?

David

rickbtbird
06-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Are you taking about the single wire sensor for the gauge or the multiple wire one the computer uses ?

David

Single Wire Sensor. Mine came today. In and out in 3 minutes, torqued to 96 inch pounds. Let it idle for about 10 minutes. No runs, no hits, no errors. Now I got my temperature gauge back!! :)

KMT
06-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Nice work ;)