Park ave/gtp vs sc base hp

I own a gtp and it's been a great car it's a 2001 se car and it has served us well, we bought it with 80 k and I blew it up at 240 k and we beat the mess out of it the WHOLE time. My wife melted thousands of dollars worth of rubber off the front tires of this car. 2 paint jobs, 3 ac overhauls, a radiator , numerous cv shafts and hub bearings but man we never touched the engine or trans in the car except for a manifold gasket . We will rebuild it, and I will blow the sc up racing her ~~~

I own a gtp and it's been a great car it's a 2001 se car and it has served us well, we bought it with 80 k and I blew it up at 240 k and we beat the mess out of it the WHOLE time. My wife melted thousands of dollars worth of rubber off the front tires of this car. 2 paint jobs, 3 ac overhauls, a radiator , numerous cv shafts and hub bearings but man we never touched the engine or trans in the car except for a manifold gasket . We will rebuild it, and I will blow the sc up racing her ~~~

Blasphemy!!

Just curious, what things made those cars put out more power than the supercoupes?
They arnt more powerful and everything but the motor is junk. I had nothing but problems with mine. Trans is junk window reg go left and right hubs blower motors on and on. Typical gm however they do have a very dependable motor.

Everything Dave says is true. It's a typical turd gm car. But my wife loves it, so I gotta keep it on the road, and as far as window regs go, the tbird is a job straight out of your worst nightmare and it's a 15 minute breeze on the Grand Prix lol, the Grand Prix held up very well to many many burnouts top speed runs road trips and it took 240 k under a VERY heavy foot to blow it up, when I build it anyone in my area who owns and sc is welcome to come beat on it lol

4 hub bearings 6 window regs (it's a 4 dr) and no blower motors but 1 blower motor resisistor. Mine has been a good car but who cares? It's wrong wheel drive

Everything Dave says is true. It's a typical turd gm car. But my wife loves it, so I gotta keep it on the road, and as far as window regs go, the tbird is a job straight out of your worst nightmare and it's a 15 minute breeze on the Grand Prix lol, the Grand Prix held up very well to many many burnouts top speed runs road trips and it took 240 k under a VERY heavy foot to blow it up, when I build it anyone in my area who owns and sc is welcome to come beat on it lol
You got that backwards man the tbird takes 10 min to swap a window motor or fix the gear. Rather than taking a bunch of twisted junk cables out of every do ( all of them will fail at some point). My tbird I've had to replace 3 total over 8 cars. Not even in the same ball park.

Had a '99 Bonneville SSEi. Bought it with nearly 100K, sold it for what I paid for it 100K miles later. The only issues I had with it was a bad VATS module, a water pump, and the little rubber deals that make the power locks work. Regular maintenance, belts, hoses, radiator, tires, brakes. That was it. Nicest handling FWD car I've ever owned.

It seems this happens a lot, the OP asked nothing about the window regulators or turd GM car. My take is that the blower was a little more efficient, heads may have flowed a little better, or a test ringer from GM. The cam would have something to do with the power curve also. HP is more, but torque is in the gutter. We all know torque does work and Horse Power wins races. So if you would have an answer to the original poster lets hear it.:cool:

Hollies car was never faster unless i spun. She had exhaust a ported blower and a ported lower and my cars are usually something close to stock

Owned both. Only still own the Bird.

Radiator, hubs, struts, tail lights drilled for moisture, NO IC, transmissions and the final reason for selling it at 285k miles. EGR, T bones and engine and trans mounts, Hubs and hubs again, dash lights oh ya and hubs.

I'm not totally sure as to why the GTP's HP is higher (even without an intercooler), but one could probably assume that there's a different head design that flows better at higher rpms and maybe a higher lift cam. The GTP also had the benefit of Ford doing a lot of the research in terms of road tested R&D with the Eaton M90, and even Ford realized that the blower design could be better (94/95 SC's). As far as I know (correct me if i'm wrong), 1997 was the first year for the GTP, so GM had the advantage of seeing what problems Ford had. Pontiac switched from the M62 to the M90 in 1996 on the Bonnevilles, I believe.

I always thought the heads had more flow ...maybe design borrowed from Buick GN?? I think the blower rotors are more desirable as they had abradable coating that--when new--was slightly better than what we have. Too bad that power plant never made it to their f bodies.

My wife had a 99 GTP that was much quicker than my 91 SC. Even with the tire spinning front wheel drive, it ran mid 14s bone stock (best of 14.3). It was also one of the main reasons I started modding my SC (to beat her).

David

We use to run Club Clash 2x a year. GTP vs SC. They were quick, but needed an hour between runs and had a black eye running. It was always a lot of fun and they were a pretty good group of guys. The club no longer exists though, so it's just SCs out at the track having a good time racing whatever shows up.

I had a 97 Buick Riviera with the SC 3.8. It was an insanely nice car. Bought it with 62k miles on it. It was having the typical GM electrical issues so I traded it. For some reason it wasn't as fast as my friends GTP. Same engine I know, but it just wasn't as powerful.

I thought the Bonneville SSEi was out in 94??? I remember when I worked as a service writer at Montgomery Wards a customer let me drive one hard and it turned my way of thinking about front wheel drive around. Yes, it was fast. But, that's relative. Fastest I had gone in the 67 Cougar at the time was 13.2.

Having had a few 3800s apart, I'm more impressed with it than the 3.8. Roller rockers factory, bigger looking ports to me, less complications. But, I love the 3.8.

Back