can i get a lopey idle and keep my botton end torque? cam time

22lbsofboost

All my 302 / 351 cars i over cammed. The crown vic with the 514 i went through about 4 builds and i love the nasty choppy idle it had. Most of my cammed cars were autos so i had to do a stall and gears and all that mess right along with my cam.swap. my buddy ben bought jesse guys 95 5 speed sc and it has an old comp custom grind in it and it screams but i dont really wanna spin my 3,8 over 4500. So im.curious if anybody ever spec'd out a regrind with that healthy idle and retained the excellent torque characteristics of the sc.

I would think with a Supercharged motor, you will still have good low end torque. You will lose some of course. I to am use to small block Chevy's and know how easy it can be to over cam.
My Camaro had a Comp cam with 240-246@ .050 (I believe), and it had a pretty radical idle to it. I had to use a 10" 3200 stall W/ 3.73 gears to get it to not bog like hell. It made it very unpleasant to drive. Unless you were WOT.

You will loose low end power just like every other engine out there while out of boost. Going from a mild 208/208 to 220/228 ( I think ) I lost low end below 2k almost enough to get a new regrind. If you have QH you can tune a wicked lope and keep drivability. I can run OL at idle lean it out and the whole car rocks like it has a huge cam, come off idle and she runs like normal. Also can get timing to bounce around a lot at idle that will duplicate a large cam.

All my 302 / 351 cars i over cammed. The crown vic with the 514 i went through about 4 builds and i love the nasty choppy idle it had. Most of my cammed cars were autos so i had to do a stall and gears and all that mess right along with my cam.swap. my buddy ben bought jesse guys 95 5 speed sc and it has an old comp custom grind in it and it screams but i dont really wanna spin my 3,8 over 4500. So im.curious if anybody ever spec'd out a regrind with that healthy idle and retained the excellent torque characteristics of the sc.

It's not really an issue with the supercharger. Not revving past 4500 rpm is a waste, because that's were about 1/3rd of the power potential lives.

[youtube]nKaLl_d6u58[/youtube]

David

My old comp cam was only .496 lift and idled like a Pro-mod with about 8hg of vacuum and no torque or hp it was great!!!.........NOT

Didn't take you for a "today's top 10 pop hits" kinda guy David...shouldn't it be white snake or Metallica?

Don't have to drag race. This is a video of my 91 SC idling at 1000 rpm with about 10 inches of vacuum. If you want bottom end torque, no problem just press the gas pedal and hang on.

[youtube]h-KZmzP1q1c[/youtube]

David

That sounds sick!!

My Camaro wasn't the fastest thing down low, but you burry the skinny pedal and it would suck your a** back in the seat and it was hard to keep in a strait line. lol

Back