Any tips if I rebuild my engine?

Metalcorpse

Okay guys, I might have a bad head gasket so I'm considering getting the engine rebuilt. If I were to do this (said i can even afford it), what should I do before it gets put back in? I'm in California so it has to remain smoggable sadly.

Was thinking 36lb injectors, roller rockers, (ported heads maybe?) and if I'm lucky with my bonuses at work I might invest in a better crank.

Thoughts?

There is no better crankshaft. Unless your car is an early 89 or has an early 89 engine or parts from an early 89 the factory crankshaft is forged steel. Unless you want to spring for a custom billet crank. Who ever you choose should probably talk to Super Coupes Unlimited. The best thing would be let SCU do the work. They are in Ohio though.

Goals?

Speaking strictly engine let SCU do your valve train (heads, rockers, intake, lifter the whole shooting match). IF your doing all the work yourself $2500 is enough for rebuild and valve train work, if your paying for rebuild you will be stuck stock. Either way I would suggest head studs now just bite the bullet.

with California emission, there is lil modding HP wise you can do and stay legal. your best bet is fresh bearings, seals, gaskets, arp head studs, and a BHJ balancer(stock doesnt last log past 230hp)

Last edited:
With the budget that you have outlined, a stock rebuild will prolly be your best bet. Half of your budget could go into head work alone. That won't leave much for machine work and parts. Get something that is a reliable everyday driver, then save some bucks up buy another engine and mod it to install in your car. You always can buy another complete car and mod it also. I am just kicking some ideas out there for you. Fix those head gaskets first you will be suprised just how much fast your car will be with a good combustion chamber seal.

Last edited:
I'd like to pass on one other thing you should practice while building it and that is attention to detail. Check things over 3 and 4 or more times, If you're not sure about something, check it again.

Back