Help , with blow by

Ballman

OK, on the pass side valve cover , I have pressure looks like coming out of where you add oil , I hope this does not mean bad rings ?? Any one have the answer , other side I had a catch tank off the PCV , as it to had a little pressure coming off of it too . ........... Thanks for any answers ........ DW.........Ballman32@aol.com

Good morning

Your description of blow-by sounds bad. How many quarts of oil does the engine burn a month? Is the ABS master cylinder brake reservoir coated in oil? Sounds like the engine is hurt. Here is a quick test. Start car. Remove the oil fill cap. If the engine is smoking out the exhaust and or strong puff of smoke out of the oil fill (or dip stick tube for that matter). If yes time for engine compression and or engine leak down test. You will need to borrow, rent or buy the test gauges and a regulated air compressor. The compression test will identify the offending cylinder. The leak down test will isolate specific areas of the engine (rings, cracked block/heads even a blown head gasket). Both Haynes and Chilton repair manuals address the compression test. There are excellent You Tube videos on both subjects. Be prepared for a some type of engine reconditioning.

Good luck.

Sam, the car is only out a few times a year , as I have another 90 and then also have a turbo coupe to drive in the Summer ...... So as the engine runs I see no oil on the ABS master cyl . I see No smoke from the exhaust . As for oil use, I do not drive it enough to see any lost oil , if any is coming off and into my catch can , off my PCV valve . pass. side valve cover as it runs and is warmed up , has then to me , way to much coming out from it , it like a small exhaust port . And with the oil cap on , it has some oil leaking from it . Had this car for years and engine kit from past owner got it all from Bill Hull , was called the 340 HP kit . I do not own a compression tester . But seems I am getting this pressure from both sides of the valve covers , PCV area and oil fill spout . Still runs good , but I want to make sure that I do not hurt it more , if in fact it is hurt . Big thanks for the reply ..........DW

High probability of cracked ring lands with that HP kit and probably no tune. The only way to answer is to start with a leak down test, otherwise you are guessing.

Engine

OK DAVE, I will try to look more into this, but my guess is also the rings . I hate to go thru a rebuild and you know way more ,,, and hear you do a great job , so I may have you this Winter look into a rebuild and a tune also , just pends on the cost . Most HP goodies are on the engine , so hope it will not take a lot as far as big dollar parts to do the rebuild . For sure we will not know until it is torn down . So maybe when you have time we can set up a rebuild date for this Winter , Im in Indiana , not too far from ya . And thanks for the reply too . .......D.Wilder .......... Ballman32@aol.com or 765 742 8154

Pull and read the plugs....then do a wet/dry engine warm compression test while they're out.

I had a few problems with blow bye on a new motor. Same symptoms as you are having my solution was driving it. Mine has progressively gotten better but your tune needs to be right before you do. If it is a high mileage motor it's probably bad rings though.

engine

Davec73 , thanks for the reply , That sounds like good hope, just hope it comes threw . Engine has about 10k is my guess , I drove it today and just seems like a lot it blowing threw , stop sign ,, I can see it coming out from under the hood , up by the cowl area . That's no fun to see , I hope there is some wonder product that can help reseal the rings . Any one know of such a thing , for sure I can try it . cant loose at this point .

Thanks, D.Wilder

Put some 5w30 Rotella in it and drive it. You should also check all of the vacuum lines that connect to the pcv valve and make sure none of them are pinched off. I would go ahead and replace the pcv valve while your at it. The reason I say this is I have a catch can to keep the oil out of the blower and inter cooler tubes and I had a line that was pinched off and cause it to put back pressure into the motor that blew the plug out of the motor and shot oil everywhere. Mine had such bad crank Case pressure it would blow the dip stick tube and pcv valve out of the motor. The reason I would put the Rotella in it is Rotella has zinc in it that promotes ring seal. You are going to have to put some miles on it and get it in and out of boost occasionally for it to reseal if that's your issue so don't drive it scared drive it like you normally would.

Put some 5w30 Rotella in it and drive it. You should also check all of the vacuum lines that connect to the pcv valve and make sure none of them are pinched off. I would go ahead and replace the pcv valve while your at it. The reason I say this is I have a catch can to keep the oil out of the blower and inter cooler tubes and I had a line that was pinched off and cause it to put back pressure into the motor that blew the plug out of the motor and shot oil everywhere. Mine had such bad crank Case pressure it would blow the dip stick tube and pcv valve out of the motor. The reason I would put the Rotella in it is Rotella has zinc in it that promotes ring seal. You are going to have to put some miles on it and get it in and out of boost occasionally for it to reseal if that's your issue so don't drive it scared drive it like you normally would.

Great tips!

Engine

OK, today I looked more into it, I am getting ready for the Rotella oil change . Found a hose split , around and under the middle of the cowl . Took care of that , Now just drive and wait and see what happens . For sure the hose did help and seems to run fine as it did , maybe not seeing as much pressure coming from the oil fill cap . Hope that is true , time will tell . D.Wilder

Back