My Car is Back

ALS35

SCCoA Member
Some of you may have been wondering what the outcome of my adventure last fall turned out to be. I got my car back from Dave D on the 14th of June.
Tony and I went down with the trailer and picked it up. The truck and trailer work great.
What was done to correct my engine:
Total tear down to the bare block.
New main and cam bearings as well as a more aggressive cam.
The heads were exchanged for a fresh set with larger valves and seats, as well as more open porting.
The oil pump was replaced as a result of pumping shrapnel.
The cam got a needle thrust bearing due to the load from the high volume oil pump.
The stock style timing chain and tensioner were deleted in favour of a two row roller set up with no tensioner (the original culprit in my failure).
The pistons were sent out for coating on the skirts for more lubricity and the tops are now ceramic coated.
The blower drive is updated to 10 ribs with hard anodized pullies. No more belt slip for me.
Dave put a conservative tune on it and it makes more power than before it failed.
Since I returned, the DIS module failed and I replaced it with a new one I had in stock. The battery required replacement and the Exide (out of business) battery with flawed AGM technology has been ditched in favour of a good old fashioned lead acid battery.
The car is strong and I need to run a few tanks of gas through it before I take it to the track. The odometer gears finally gave up but there are new ones on the way.
Power and torque numbers need to remain un-published. What I can say is the dyno graph lines are smooth and steady and the boost line is dead straight all the way across.

Next, Tony and I loaded his car on the trailer on the 21st and went to Watkins Glen so that Tony could spend a couple of days doing hot laps on hallowed ground. He had a blast. Maybe he will share his thoughts about it in another thread.
The F150 ecoboost gets 17 MPG pulling the Bird (at 70 MPH) and it never strained doing it.
Alan

Good to hear Alan. I was hoping to be at the Glen for that same event, but events at work kept me from leaving.

cheers
Ed

Ed, I was looking forward to talking to you at the Glen. Sorry you couldn't make it. It was a blast, even though I was just a spectator.
Paul, the engine is really breathing now and we got 15 pounds at 25%. Could drive it harder for more boost but that leads to blower melt down and I really want to drive this car.
The track will tell me how we did with this. Dave was really happy with this build. Said something about it being the best one he has ever done.
Now it needs more break in and maybe different tires for the track. I'll have to re-work the rear hubs to 4.5" but my road wheels are already drilled for that any way. Will simplify the selection of wheels for the new tires. There just isn't anything for the tires I want in the 4.25" spacing.
And so the hobby continues ....
Alan

Back