propper refill steps needed for new rad install......

FrankenBird

i will be getting my 93 style rad and putting it in my 94, which seems easy enough i think ille just have to bolt one end to the frame instead of using the busing the new style rad uses to bolt itsself to the frame.i also had to extend my overflow line because on the older rads the orientation of the exit to the overflow faces passegner side not drivers so that was no big deal.i also removed the ac condenser so now the rad and intercooler will get direct air.
the only thing im worrid about is if it will be able to cool it enough, the older ones are single core all aluminum(well one i got)and the new styles were 3 core copper and had plastic fill tanks not 1 piece aluminim.
i drianed all i could for 2 days and then i stuck a hose that fit perfect into the fill spout and cranked it and blew out abunch of gunk and old coolant untill the water ran clean.
now when i fill it up do i fill just the rad with that fill cap off so it burps it or do i fill the rad all the way and then the spout? or do i fuill the spout untill i cant and then fill the rad? yes i know overfill gets filled last..but what are the first propper steps..lol i dont wanna lose coolant and do this twice.
my cars been getting worked on at my moms soooo her driveways has not been happy with a ruusterturd spewing fluids on her driveway..

First make sure you have the burp plug completely removed from behind the thermostat. It's the bolt that says remove before drain and fill. Fill the radiator completely in the car until you get fluid coming out of the top burp plug. Once it's full fill the reservoir to "full cold" mark. Install burp plug and install radiator plug. Then start the car - let it warm up until the thermostat opens. Once the thermostat is open keep a close eye on the reservoir. Fill the reservoir to the "full hot" once the engine is warmed up. You'll know the thermostat is open because the top hose from the engine to the radiator will be warm and fairly rigid. I usually let me loop run for about 5-10 minutes while watching the res.

Others may have additional advice but this has always worked well for me.

One other thing to ask - did you clean out the bottom of the reservoir? Last time I did a flush mine was NASTY and didn't flow any fluid at all.

OMG when ui flused my block it was horrible..so much slime and black paper like stuff came out..and ya i actually had to scrape clean parts of my overfill jug.looks like it got moldy or something in it..yes,actually looks and feels like mold.as well as what i flushed out.
i never had any over heating issues,it actually never got over 50% up on a 90degree day on the freeway for awhile and then side steets for 1 hour.
i just hope this new rad i have coming wont have any cooling issues..
thanks for the reply too,i think you told me all i need.i was just wondering if i had to fill at the spout because after i drained my coolant and removed the rad that old gunky coolant sat in the block for a few days and my car is leaning forward.looks like it shur needed a flush.
will a 93 one piece all aluminum 1 core radiator be good enough for my 1994 auto,i did remove the ac condenser , have a real cai with a ram forcing coldair ait the filter from below the bumper also and i have no engine mods.

Last edited:
Glad to help. I don't know the answer on capacity. The other pro's here might. I'm not that knowledgeable and only help out on stuff I understand. If you ever want to do some board level repair on some electronics let me know. :D

ut O...i didnt knowtice any loss of power or anything or oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil...but it does seem to drip more water out the exhaust that i feel comfortable with..the guy i got it from was the 2nd owner and had it like 13 years and i think the last few it was his dailydriver get around car.now its my time to restore it to its glory.i did have rad stop leak init so i think some of it was from that and he may have had some in there too for all i know.

WELL ITS ALL WORKING !!!!!!!!!!!
a 89-93 radiator automatic CAN be used in a 94-95 automatic..all i had to do was drill a hole in the header pannel for a bolt to go into it on the passengers side..i also had to extend the rad over flow line because the outlet on the older rads face to passengers side and on the 94-95 the over flow tank is on the drivers side.the pre rad also sits a bit higher so you either have to remove ur hoods heatshield or trim the rubber supports on teh bottom that the rad sits on....a pre 94 rad is 108 and a 94-95 which is part plastic and not all aluminum was cheapest i found 350 bucks..
so the little bit i had to mod was WELL WORTH the cash saved..
SWEET..this should be known to save people some money and get them a better radiator..very simple install.

Back