PDA

View Full Version : Salvage 1990 Cougar XR7

rshingler
07-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Hello All,

Would this Cougar be a good car to get at the current price? Any idea on cost to get both front fenders, headlight, etc. fix? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5091177093.html

Best,

-- Ray

BUDXR7
07-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Well, they're pretty rare to find - especially the 1990 XR7 5-Speed. $1300 aint much but.... it could have a host of problems that would require a closer look and discussion. Think head gaskets, electronics, tires, suspension and RUST. Maintenance and repair history would be nice to have as well but this owner likely doesn't have it.

The body work/paint is a given so you can factor that on top of your offer - I'd say $2000 if done decently and rust wasn't an issue (and this will not be restoration quality). All in, with out any major issues, it could be a nice car for $3000 total.

I think you need to investigate more and decide what you're looking for and willing to do. Me personally, I knew it had to be a Cougar and when I stumbled across my survivor I put my money where my mouth was.

rshingler
07-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the input! Great points. I have contacted the person with both a phone call (left message) and txt. No reply as of yet. All keep all informed.

Tim Groth
07-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Hello All,

Would this Cougar be a good car to get at the current price? Any idea on cost to get both front fenders, headlight, etc. fix? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5091177093.html

Best,

-- Ray

The price for parts would be pretty inexpensive IMO. If you're able to do the work yourself it should be an easy repair. My 89 SC was totalled and for all the parts and body shop cost to straighten it out I have about $250 invested to fix it. Granted I was able to get everything at the pick-n-save for $65...bought new headlights for $100 and then $300 for the frame shop. I sold some items I also picked up on the $65 all you can carry day too. So again maybe $250 out of pocket.

If you're looking for a project that looks like a good one.

-Tim