Porting exhaust manifolds with 2.5 inch exhaust?

aroot1

SCCoA Member
Just got my 2.5 inch downpipes, resonator section, and late model duals from mandrel bent systems. Actually received the x-pipe mid due to a minor snafu, but Josh was GREAT to deal with and was right on top of it, should receive the resonator Monday. I opted to keep the X to Xperiment (pun fully intended :D )with the system sound/performance. Hope to post up my findings/opinions ASAP. I'm thinking of using '11 mustang GT take off mufflers, as I've seen a few posts here who liked the sound, and I can get a set dirt cheep ;) , may also be able to get a set of magnaflow axle backs from the same car too.

The 2.5 inch down pipes came with an exhaust doughnut different than any I've seen b4. It is kinda like a very tightly packed steel mesh impregnated with graphite. It almost "snaps" onto the original manifold. Has anyone else used these down pipes/doughnuts? I know that once you reach 2" when porting the stock manifolds you get into the realm of sealing issues, so I stopped at about 1.850", but I assume that is with stock pipes, or smaller diameter (2.25?). Can I open them up further with this setup, or is it even worth going further?

Any thoughts/opinions would be great, and once again, Josh and Tru Bendz are great to deal with and the quality looks impressive. Support those who support these "obsolete" hot rods :D

Adam

Back