4.0 six chyinder.

gtx446

Good Morning,

This is not a question about a SuperCoupe,but since you are Ford guys, maybe you can help me out..I bought a 99 Ford Ranger with 53000 mile on it..It starting hesitating when cold then righted herself when warmed up. Check engine light came on.I bought it to a Ford dealership and they said there was a misfire in no.3 cylinder..The put a new coil pack in,,same thing happened..They did a compression check and said that the cylinder had 95 psi and the rest had 135 psi.They also said that there was oil in no.3 cylinder.They don't know the problem,and said they must tear the engine down to find the root cause..That's an expensive propostion.Can anyone out there had any experince with a similar problem can shed some light on what the problem can be? Any info will be appreciated.

Thx Vic

Have a cylinder leak down test done on all cylinders. I am surprised that the dealership dosent know this.

I say time for a 5.0 swap! Using parts from a 96-2000 explorer it is a direct bolt-in swap, will be more reliable than the 4.0, and will be a hell of a lot more fun!

I would suggest doing a few searches on the serious explorations forum. Its an explorer forum, but same platform.

There's also a TSB out for plenum gaskets on the 99-01 4.0 SOHC. I know that wouldn't account for your low compression and oil in the cylinder, but its a really common issue. Had to do my girlfriends 2000 explorer in 2011 with 35,000 on the clock. Ford started using rubber o rings between the upper and lower intakes when they went composite. They eventually dry out and shrink pretty severely when its cool out and then expand and seal up when the engine warms. If that's your issue its almost always accompanied by lean bank 1 and bank 2 codes. Its actually a pretty straight forward job. Gaskets are around $15. And it will eventually happen to all 2nd gen explorers and I'm sure rangers with the sohc option engine.

Last edited:
Back