Manual transmission pops-out of gear

rshingler

I have found a 1992 T-bird SC that I want to purchase, but it has two issues.

1. It pops out of 3rd gear when accelerating. Is this an expensive fix?

2. The passenger's window does not go down.

Let me know if you have any price range it would cost to fix either of these two issues. Other than that, this car is rust free with just over 100k. The second owner has owned it since 1996.

Thanks in advance!

-- Ray

Thanks for the reply on the window, hopefully someone else will be able to answer the transmission issue. -- Ray

A manual transmission popping out of gear is not likely to be something simple. The trans will have to come out of the car and get taken apart. Best case scenario would probably be a bent or cracked shift fork, in which case you could replace it without having to rebuild the whole transmission, however if the car has been driven like that, it will likely have worn out the synchros for that gear too, which would require a complete rebuild. Depending on the price and condition of the car, I wouldn't say the trans issue is a deal breaker, but definitely plan for either replacing the trans with a good used one, or rebuilding it.

It only pops out in 3rd gear. Could this be caused by a transmission mount being broke? And the trans moves thus knocking it out of gear?

Back