LED headlights, high beams, and fog lights

Tony8470

Has anyone given these a try? I found some LED fog lights on Amazon but I'm worried they're too long to fit. Was hoping to stay with CREE diodes too.

I'd like to lighten the load on the alternator as much as possible.

Just fogs - good: low current load; white light -- bad: not all that bright for this location, but the stock bulbs weren't that great either. Still waiting on a direct LED replacement for stock headlight bulbs.

Otherwise, I replaced 22 bulbs on my '90 SC with LEDs and love them. Example in contrast to the fog lights, my LED backup lights are stunning. Interior lights are fantastic all around. Nice to have white instead of yellow, instant on and low current draw that won't bake circuits, connectors and lenses.

Last edited:
I'm running cree 880's with the long aluminum projector lens. No fitment issues whatsoever. Run nice and cool, but the light output wasn't as good as I was expecting. Pretty on par with stock, just nicer color.

LED don't compare to HID or Halogen for headlights or fog lights, can't get enough lumen. Best I've seen is ~2000lumen for LED and Halogen start at nearly double that.

LEDs are still at this point still only good for indicators (speaking in the greater sense not just blinkers).

Only place I could see LEDs "useful" is Daytime Running Lights

Here's what I was thinking. Not sure about fog lights yet. They appear to be somewhat reliable based on reviews. And I'm somewhat reluctant to buy some of the eBay versions.

OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Arc-Glass Clear Beam Kit - 9005 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBDOV2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_VVfSvbSZEWMD9

JDM ASTAR 4TH Generation Error Free 9006 HB4 Cree XM-L2 LED Headlight, Xenon White(2000 lumen for each bulb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNP9FKC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_4WfSvbAKZ5TB3

I'm worried about reliability. This is newer technology and is being made by Chinese manufacturers. Amazon will at least lend some reviews in that way.

Back