Lazaro's 93 5 spd build thread

figulaz

SCCoA Member
Hello super coupe fans. Its time for me to post some of the work i've been upto the past yr or so. This my 93 5 spd that i acquired locally from an old sccoa member. Elbert Dooley. The car was raced locally in the early thousands and and was stored since about 2003-2004 after melting a piston in a Coy motor. That motor was sold back to Coy so i bought the car with no engine but several cool parts. I was able to source a 93 engine and 5spd ecu from a pick n pull wrecker. I installed it and ran for about 2 wks before installing a 10% sc pulley and blowing the hg. I'm very close to installing the rebuilt engine. The plan is to break the engine in and get it smogged with everything as close to stock as possible then throw in my mods which are as follows
76mmc&l
76mm pp tb
42# ford racing injectors
Mp plenum
Ported late model
Extrude honed lower IC
10% sc pulley
5% jackshaft pulley
MP tensioner springs
Asp underdrives
FMIC
Dalke grind Mild cam shaft good for cali smog...210 in 220 ex with .484 lift
Matching push rods and beefy crane spings
Head with 3 way valve grind pressure checked. Cleaned up runners and pocket ported bowls myself
Gasket matched intake...took off sharp edges inside
.030 block with sp style pistons...these are the ebay ford factory replacement.
95 connecting rods with arp bolts
late model oil pump
Regular felpro gaskets and felpro tty bolts. (I'm on a budget in case you haven't notice)
Lincoln brakes not yet installed

Previous owner mods
Griffin rad
2.5 to 3 to 2.5 exhaust
Midlength headers
Allegedly built 5spd
B&m shifter
3:55 gears
CF clutch
Poly bushings
Fuel pump..not sure whats in there but be was running 38s

Special thanks to all those who helped answer my questions and got me great deals on parts. Pics will be up shortly

Last edited:
how i spent my saturday

enginebay1.jpgimg20150725_203157.jpgMy wife, sister and niece all said "why bother doing that? No one looks under the hood". :( Any way...a couple coats of single stage oxford white. I'm surprised how little paint it used. I decided to battle it out with my itty bitty harbor freight compressor and a touch up gun. I was seriously considering not doing this but i'm glad i went thru with it. I'm going to do one more coat tomorrow.

raised top & upper ic tube

raisedtop.jpgnew ford gray rattle can on a home made raised top i bought off a member. I cut off the ends of spare intercooler and hope to weld those ends to some cx 2.75 tubing.

Last edited:
WOW, I never thought to custom make a raised top for the sc... my pops is GM and they have an awesome machine shop and I bet someone for 20 bucks will make me one..
good plans and good to see another sc saved..
Id hate to live in cali just because of the smog laws.. I have considered relocating the family there but no B.S that was the deal breaker.. I hate trying to get a car to pass emissions while you wanna mod it.. lol I lazy mod and HATE smog.. ille cut th cats off and block off the egr and take out the intake silencer of ANY car I own..lol,even did my wifes 4.0 and made it get some getup and go.
keep us posted with ur build man.i love to follow build threads and borrow idea's for my car.

harness

harness2.jpgIt takes a lot of wire to get a super coupe down the road. This is about 80% of it....at least in the engine bay. The fuel injector harness and some other stuff is done and not in the pic. The ecu harness on the left is done too. I used non sticky oe type for most of the harness and sticky fabric type to terminate. I mabe the mistake of purchasing equal parts non sticky and fabric...you'll burn thru the non sticky stuff 2 or 3 times faster...about $35 bucks worth if fancy tape as i hear the regular electrical stuff will turn into a mess after a couple months.

Last edited:
you will want at least 50 pound injectors for the late model blower. might as well get 60's and upgrade the fuel pump
Did your set up run lean on 50s? I bought the 42s a while ago and thought they should be ok for my set up. I'll give these a try and if after a tune im lean i'll move up.

WOW, I never thought to custom make a raised top for the sc... my pops is GM and they have an awesome machine shop and I bet someone for 20 bucks will make me one..
good plans and good to see another sc saved..
Id hate to live in cali just because of the smog laws.. I have considered relocating the family there but no B.S that was the deal breaker.. I hate trying to get a car to pass emissions while you wanna mod it.. lol I lazy mod and HATE smog.. ille cut th cats off and block off the egr and take out the intake silencer of ANY car I own..lol,even did my wifes 4.0 and made it get some getup and go.
keep us posted with ur build man.i love to follow build threads and borrow idea's for my car.
crazy CA laws pays you to send your car to the crusher...smog is sooo tough yet i can pull up to the rollers with a cracked windshield, grinding brakes, and bald tires but as long as my cat has the right CARB stamp and the emissions pass i can get my reg sticker. So much for public interest/safety.

mock up

enginemockup.jpgEngine mock up...finding all the bolts and connectors etc..should've bagged and tagged. Dingy crusty hardware and connectors doesn't mix well with new paint. Even with new tape the connectors need work. Going to re-prep some pieces and do more cleaning

Last edited:
Mine was ok with 50s. Bust since i am going even bigger with my new engine. I stepped up to 60s. I also have a snow kit when i had the 50s.

well I got this running after chasing an unconnected connector, a vac leak and a bad cam sensor some more gremlins showed up. some how my early model blower developed a rattle. It sounded like it was towards the rear of the blower. I took the coated rotors out of there and put in my late model. We'll see if that helps. also driver's side cat developed a rattle after I took rpms upto 2500. It looks physically damaged like it ran over a curb or something...anyway..sawed it off hollowed it out and tried re welding but I can barely weld much less on back so the tops of pipe have about a 1 inch slit. Going to drop the exhaust. clean blobs and reweld clean. 50 state cats look to be about $125 a pc so I'll be buying those soon. Couldn't do a legit break-in. just had it run for about 10 mins at different rpms with the blower belt off.

Back