Can't catch a break- power window failure now

89SCfan

After replacing the starter this past weekend, I have been driving the car around locally to make sure the repair keeps working (it has). Tonight went for a drive and decided to turn off the A/C, put the windows down and enjoy the cooler evening temps. Well, wouldn't you know the driver side window won't go down. I'm thinking, WTH now! I get home and try it again. I can hear the motor spinning but no window movement. Did a quick search on this site and found many threads about the problem Took the door apart, pulled the motor and found exactly what was described. The plastic bushings were ground into powder. Took the gear assy apart and cleaned it all up to get ready for new bushings. Tomorrow I'll stop by Autozone and pick some up. I plan on doing the passenger side too before it fails so I don't have a window failure in the future at the wrong time (like when it's raining or cold). This info on this site is great!

After replacing the starter this past weekend, I have been driving the car around locally to make sure the repair keeps working (it has). Tonight went for a drive and decided to turn off the A/C, put the windows down and enjoy the cooler evening temps. Well, wouldn't you know the driver side window won't go down. I'm thinking, WTH now! I get home and try it again. I can hear the motor spinning but no window movement. Did a quick search on this site and found many threads about the problem Took the door apart, pulled the motor and found exactly what was described. The plastic bushings were ground into powder. Took the gear assy apart and cleaned it all up to get ready for new bushings. Tomorrow I'll stop by Autozone and pick some up. I plan on doing the passenger side too before it fails so I don't have a window failure in the future at the wrong time (like when it's raining or cold). This info on this site is great!

I've lost count of how many times I've had to do this. After doing it a few times I got tired of waiting to get it repaired. I got myself one motor for each side and keep them with fresh bushings. Once one kicks the crapper (I think I've done two this year alone) I have bushings handy... I take the faulty motor, refurb it and stash it away ready for the next failure.

Huh..... I was not aware you could get the bushings/bearing replacements. I've just been replacing them with small lock nuts (10-32 I believe). Have not had a second failure. I suppose if I do it'll be complete destruction of the gear box :p

Adam

I did a write-up on how to do this with a few alternate options other than the parts store pieces. The cheapest way I found was with some nylon spacers from Lowe's trimmed to fit. Here is a link to the article if you want to look at it. The part number for the nylon spacers is at the bottom.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=143401

Last edited:
Driver window is fixed!

I did a write-up on how to do this with a few alternate options other than the parts store pieces. The cheapest way I found was with some nylon spacers from Lowe's trimmed to fit. Here is a link to the article is you want to look at it. The part number for the nylon spacers is at the bottom.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=143401

Thanks for the thread link. The pics were very helpful. I picked up the plastic bushings at Autozone, but as usual they only carry one kit so I could only do the broken window. I'll have to find another kit to do the passenger side.

I did have some trouble getting the bushings into place. The fit is very tight. I think they may have a slight taper because I ended up turning them over with the stamped numbers facing down into the plastic gear, placing the alumimum gear on top and then putting the assembly in the bench vice to slowly squeeze it together. Then I finished it up by using a 3/8" deep socket and hammer to tap it the rest of the way down on the shaft. Reassembled the door and all is working great!

Thanks for the thread link. The pics were very helpful. I picked up the plastic bushings at Autozone, but as usual they only carry one kit so I could only do the broken window. I'll have to find another kit to do the passenger side.

I did have some trouble getting the bushings into place. The fit is very tight. I think they may have a slight taper because I ended up turning them over with the stamped numbers facing down into the plastic gear, placing the alumimum gear on top and then putting the assembly in the bench vice to slowly squeeze it together. Then I finished it up by using a 3/8" deep socket and hammer to tap it the rest of the way down on the shaft. Reassembled the door and all is working great!

I don't think they have a taper, they're just not 'precisely' made. Mine were tight as well, had to press it together. If you want to save a couple bucks you can grab the nylon spacers from Lowe's for like $2 and just trim the length by 1/16" with a razor blade. They fit just the same. The pics are in THIS post. Glad you got it working!

Back