89 SC quit on me Code 33

kennyo

I slowed down for a car to turm and when I took off it bucked a little...About a 1/2 mile later it did it again and quit on me. It pulled a 33 code which is an egr malfunction. If it cools off it starts and runs fine until it gets hot... Anyone else know what this is??

Are your cats glowing when the car warms up? I had a similar problem. The exhaust got so hot my EGR valve froze open. It would run great until the cats warmed up. Then it would stumble and want to die. Maybe its simpler than that, but probably still worth taking a look under the car when it warms up.

Last edited:
I don't have cats on my car.... I think I replace the egr valve years ago. Are there sensors that operate it or is it mechanical??

Did you check the vacuum hoses?

Looks like this back there...
View attachment 63904

I will. I got another EGR valve in case. I'll check the hoses and connections also. I wish it was only a hose but it doesn't make sense the way it cuts out. Unless its dumping under acceleration. Another thing to when it does quit it kind of want s to kick back against the starter some.

I'd also check the cats as suggested - you can use an IR temp gun to check/compare them against each other, but if one is glowing red hot it's a sign ;)

Back