Transmission Pulling Advice

vgfedor

SCCoA Member
I am having a difficult time getting the manual transmission separated from the engine on the Supercoupe. I have removed all the bolts (6 + 2) and even have a puller on the end on the transmission to try and separate them but no luck. I have tried a bit of prying and a crowbar but I don't want to damage the surfaces so the force I am using is light. I have a transmission jack under the transmission and the engine is supported under the oil pan. I have tried to lower the transmission jack a bit to see if the engine and transmission break apart but so far they haven't. Any suggestion on what to do next?

I've pulled my tranny out quite a few times and it always comes out easily so I'm thinking that maybe there is still a bolt in there. 9 bolts comes to mind but I may be incorrect about that. There is one bolt that is on the top right side and is difficult to see as well as remove. Double check. Meanwhile, when I get home tonight I'll check one of my spare trannys and count the bolt holes.

If the hyd. clutch is still connected, press the pedal to see if that helps...

But yeah, counting the bolts would be a good step.

There are 6 bolts holding the transmission to the engine and 2 bolts holding the starter to the transmission's bellhousing.
There's also one or two guide pins that align the two sides together; depending on where you live, I wonder if these pins have gotten corroded and expanded a bit (making the block harder to separate from the trans). Depending on if you have access to it I'd look at each side between the last two bolts to see if I could see the pins. Once identified, I'd probably spray some PB-blaster on both sides between the to see if you can loosen these pins.

See nubs on both sides between bolts on the left and right side.
attachment.php

post-60957-0-53115600-1390083016.jpg

As an alternative theory with an even lower probability, it could be the shifter? This may sound stupid but do you have it disconnected? I once caused myself a little grief pulling the eng+trans out of my tbird once because I forgot to remove the two bolts turning the shifter into a stub... and that got caught up when trying to pull the engr+trans out of the car.

-g

Last edited:
Check your bolts first as others have mentioned, i cant recall how many there are off hand. Assuming you have disconnected the hydraulic clutch, removed the driveshaft, removed the starter, and gotten all of the bolts out. Sometimes they get a bit hung up on the block dowels, i usually have to kind of shake the transmission a little while pulling on it or pry to get it to slip off the dowels, if i haven't removed it previously and applied some antisieze already.

All;
I have all the bolts removed that I know of, six that connect it to the block, two that connect it to the oil pan and I have removed the starter and disconnected the hydraulic clutch. The gear shifter has been disconnected down to the little stub. I have even sprayed some Rust Release where the block meets the bell housing where I could reach. This is the first time the transmission has been out so after 20 years there could be some corrosion on the pins but the car has never been driven in winter. The bellhousing is still tight to the block so I can not even see the pins. The whole thing really acts like there is a still a bolt attached but I believe I have them all unless someone tells me different. And thanks for the pictures, they are useful.

All;
I just found this info in an old thread from 2005 by Motohead:

"there are two locator pins (Dowl rods) in the engine block that fit into holes drilled into the bellhousing you need to lift and support both the engine and transmition high enough to clear the motormounts then pull the engine forward an inch or so sometimes you really have to yank to get them apart"

So I am going into the garage and try and lift the engine and trans as high as possible and then pull.

You could have some rust on those 2 pins causing it to stick. I also counted 8 bolts plus the 2 for the starter. You could try inserting a couple of screwdrivers on either side and try prying them apart. Also, try raising the front of the car higher than the back so the transmission is trying to slide backwards away from the engine.

Finally Apart

All that helped;
The transmission finally came apart from the engine block today. I left it alone for a week and a bit while I did something else. With a come-a-long attached to the back of the transmission and a crowbar between the bell housing and oil pan, the seal was finally broken and it snapped apart. To me it seems what was holding it together was not corroded alignment pins but that the dust shield had corroded to the bell hosing. In places I had to actually pry the dust shield from the bell housing before it all came apart. Now onto the clutch and flywheel replacement.

Back