cam sensor

89tbsc

i have been experiencing the bucking in my sc that i have seen described on this site. from what i have read you all seem to go towards the cam sensor. i read a post that it only took 20 minutes to replace this. i am mechanically inclined and i only have 1 question. in my chiltons book i see a camshaft sensor assembly with no. 12a112 , a synchronizer assembly no.12126, and a syncro positioning tool no. t89p-12200-1. do i need all of these parts or just the sensor assy. also can you give a price and are these no.s the actual ford part no.s i know that this is more than 1 question but i do carry on. p.s. i have 150,000 on the car and it runs great except for this intermittent problem.thank you

Nope. All you need to do is take the sensor off, and bolt the new one on. You'll need to unplug a few things and remove the SC belt to get to it, but from there its just 2 small bolts. Takes about 10-15 minutes to do. Id suggest you stuff paper towels under the sensor to catch the tiny bolts which will inadvertently fall and magically evaporate into thin air.:D
The sensor is about $30 and available at just about any of the chain stores.

I could be wrong, but I think you only need the Camshaft Position Sensor assembly.

I think unless you're tearing down the engine and re-doing everything, you won't need the positioning or synchronization tools or pieces.

It's pretty much a direct swap if you're just replacing a busted cam sensor, only fits one way so you can't really screw it up. Make sure you have a drill (or a dremel cutting tool so you can just slice into the nut so it's slotted and remove it with a flathead screwdriver) handy to get rid of the retainer knot on the torx nut, if it's the original cam sensor

I got mine replaced last weekend, and so far the car runs like a charm.

Good luck,
-Steve

Hi steve,
If I don't have a dremel cutting tool, how can I achive to remove the nut with the drill.
thanks

Idling problem

Hi ThirdSCFan,
As all folks recomended here, I went to order the cam sensor from autozone yersterday. On my way back the car died on me on the freeway. It cranks, but wouldn't start. I did reset the fuel pump switch, but still it didn't start. I took it to the mechanic and he said the fuel pump was gone. I got the fuel pump from the dealer and replaced it. Now it runs great. Before changeing the pump, as you know it was idling bad almost everyday. Now I didn't have the same problem anymore. Hence I will keep the camsensor part with me since I already order it. I will wait till it happens again, and if it does happen again I will replace the camsensor. Because the one I have now is the orginal.
Can the bad fuel pump can cause the similar simptoms like the bad camsensor.
Thanks all.
If you guys think I should replace it anyway, please let me know.
Your suggestions greatly appreciated.

Yes, It can. Not enough fuel or fuel in sudden pulses can cause crappy idle and missing which would seam like bucking.

Al

Well, the effect of a bad fuel pump is that it would sometimes act like you're running out of gas which could definitely cause stumbling.

The cam sensor loss though is a more violent bucking.. its unlike just running out of fuel or driving like its fuel starved. Its also usually accompanined by a wavering idle and/or zero tach while the engine is running.
But don't worry, if you have an original cam sensor, you'll need the replacement someday.. I'm on my 3rd one. The last hitch was last summer.. just a small little incident with a no-start with no-tach for just a second or so. I replaced it immediately and no problems since then.

Thanks all,
You are right on the dot, my cam sensor is bad, after replaceing the fuel pump, it acted up again and I changed the cam sensor.
Now it runs without any problems.
thanks

Back