Engine swaps: sc motors vs car model years (89-93 vs 94/95)

SHEPP

I've searched high and low, but still had a few questions, so am I missing something?

The obvious stuff but correct me if I'm wrong:

89-93 motors with 89-93 crank and balancer, will work in all 89-93 model year cars without any mods to the car or motor.

94-95 motors with 94-95 cranks and balancrr, will work in all 94-95 model year cars without any mods to the car or motor.

The maybe not so obvious stuff:

A motor with a 89-93 crank and balancer with a 94-95 front engine cover (my understanding will accommodate both 89-93 & 94-95 styles of sensors) will work in a 94-95 car using 89-93 sensors.

A motor with a 94-95 crank and balancer with either a 89-93 or 94-95 front engine cover will work in a 89-93 car using 89-93 sensors without any modifications to the car.

late model timing covers 94-95 work on all SCs but you'll need a little bracket for the crank sensor from the early model (89-93) timing cover as well as the early model balancer/trigger wheel...(the one with open spaces not teeth). Early model covers will not work on late model SCs harness. In other words...the cover is backwards compatible with the little bolt on bracket/mount. if you have access to both short blocks make sure you're using the rods, windage tray, oil pump from the late model. Good luck

You're close in your understanding.

To keep it super simple you can use any 89-95 engine (I wont get into the internal differences)...all you want to use the Front Cover and Balancer off the model year you're putting the engine into.

Essentially the 89-93 Front cover and Balancer is completely different than the 94/95s.

For example - you put a 95 engine in a 89 model year...use the front cover/sensors and balancer from the 89.

-Tim

Actually it boils down to which Ignition system you have. 89-93 is low data rate (DIS), and 94+ is High data rate (36 minus 1 trigger wheel, EDIS).

To keep it super simple you can use any 89-95 engine (I wont get into the internal differences)...all you want to use the Front Cover and Balancer off the model year you're putting the engine into.

Essentially the 89-93 Front cover and Balancer is completely different than the 94/95s.

For example - you put a 95 engine in a 89 model year...use the front cover/sensors and balancer from the 89.

-Tim

Are the 94/95 Mustang timing covers identical to the SC 94-95 covers?

to clear up things, the only thing I was considering is a motor swap (up or down) from one gen car to the next.

so, the 89-93 timing cover is only good for use in an 89-93 car.

the 94-95 motors will work in 89-93 cars with the use of 89-93 balancer/timing/sensor parts.

the 89-93 motors will work in 94-95 cars with the use of 94-95 balancer/timing/sensor parts.

Thanks for the replies and info....... I think what I was forgetting was the balancers will actually fit either gen crank:rolleyes:, just make sure I match up the balancer/timing/sensor parts to the body.

Last edited:

-Tim

Slight correction....the 94-95 timing cover can be used in any car 89-95, but must be used for 94-95 crank sensor, balancer and ECU.

The only difference in the early vs. late model timing cover is the late model cover has provisions for mounting the crank sensor. This means the late model cover works on everything. For 89-93 early model the crank sensor bolts to the engine block, but is still compatible with either an early or late model cover.

David

to clear up things, the only thing I was considering is a motor swap (up or down) from one gen car to the next.

so, the 89-93 timing cover is only good for use in an 89-93 car.

the 94-95 motors will work in 89-93 cars with the use of 89-93 balancer/timing/sensor parts.

the 89-93 motors will work in 94-95 cars with the use of 94-95 balancer/timing/sensor parts.

Thanks for the replies and info....... I think what I was forgetting was the balancers will actually fit either gen crank:rolleyes:, just make sure I match up the balancer/timing/sensor parts to the body.

Correct, except that late model timing cover can be used in all applications.

David

New information - the Mustang timing covers (3.8) fit our cars as well. Just pulled a cover from a 2000 Mustang 3.8. I need to go back tomorrow and get the two long bolts as the two top mounting holes into the block are the same but elongated on the 'stang cover instead of tabbed like the T-bird cover.

Back