Rear Wheel Bearing Premature Failure

rickbtbird

Is there a recommended bearing vendor that is for the Super Coupe?
A couple of months back I had my rear wheel bearings replaced. The car had 125k on it so I figured it was time and I know at least the drivers side was a little sloppy. I had a local guy do it. He does all my work now for the past couple of years. Everyone always raves on the good work he does. So I'm coming back home from a trip shopping down I84 east and I feel some slop in the rear. I figured it might be the cheap tires I put on last year and I got home and pumped a couple of PSI in them. Next day I get in the car and drive towards the garage and as I'm going up a hill when the drivers side rear bearing lets go. Good thing I was on my way to the service garage where my mechanics is. Got it there and the rear drivers side was sloppy as hell. I think I put maybe 2500 miles on it before it went.

Sounds like a part warranty issue w/the vendor that supplied the bearing - let the mechanic work it out.

Verify that they put sufficient torque on the axle nut ... that being left too loose can cause premature bearing failure. If he just turned up his impact gun and cranked it on, it's not tight enough. Not a bad idea to double up on the nut as well once it is tight, to make sure it can't come loose!

cheers
Ed

The proper torque setting is about 250 ft-lbs. Pretty high.

I bought a Motorcraft rear knuckle with bearing already installed, and it has lasted for years. But I am not sure if those are still available.

The other side is still on the original. No problems there. Potholes worse on the right side? :confused:

Maybe. But then, Rick's engine must be spinning the other way. ;)

Anyway, I would imagine that installation is the easiest way to screw one of these bearings up. But if more than one fails on the same side, then I would start to get suspicious of the knuckle, alignment, brakes, etc.

Back