Check out this strange AutoCheck report- what does this mean?

89SCfan

I'm considering this car, 1993 SC, but the AutoCheck report looks unusual. I don't like that there are three different title numbers issued and two of them still show "lien reported", but they are from years ago. Does anyone have experience with these reports and/or title's with liens to help me understand what this is showing me. I'm concerned there may be outstanding liens against the car that could come back to haunt me after purchase. And then there is the auto auction events toward the end of the history. It's all very strange to me what the history listings are showing. Not the typical readout I'm used to seeing. Any thoughts?:confused:

Attachments

• AutoCheck report.jpg
    AutoCheck report.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 182
Hmmm. I wonder what dealer had that. I am in Dumfries and Triangle is the same area.

Can't help on the auto check.

From the looks of it the 'title lien" is when the car was purchased and sold and the person who registered it at that time had a title lien...they are all from the DMV and I am sure that is normal protocol.

Also looking at the dates most recent the car was registered without a lien...which makes sense as usually older cars have no bank loans for purchase.

For what it is worth as well...if the car had a lien on it currently there wouldn't be a paper title in hand or if there was it would say LIEN on the title itself.

-Tim

I'm considering this car, 1993 SC, but the AutoCheck report looks unusual. I don't like that there are three different title numbers issued and two of them still show "lien reported", but they are from years ago.:

It's a single/original lien, as noted, echoed as part of the record keeping, each time the MD DMV is involved w/titling. I don't see an issue.

two things jump out to me..

As someone who deals with these every day I see two things that stand out...1] the car sat at the dealer for two years when it was new?? that is odd...2] now from 2000 to 2015 it did another sitting somewhere... These are both odd and be careful with that... How many miles are on it now?? it better be close to what it was in 2015 or I smell a roll back or something.... Just my .02 worth and again I deal with auto checks every day in my other job....Rich

No title issues there. There can only be one valid title on a car at a given time. Whenever the title is transferred or updated, a new title document is printed and the vehicle history report is updated with the old title number for reference. There is no lien showing on the current title, so you are good to go.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback. The car has 60K plus on it now so mileage is in line with the report. As to the years of it sitting in different places, I believe this was sort of a collector car purchase, both initially and later in 2000 when it was sold again with low miles. My feeling is it keeps trading between hopeful collector car enthusiasts.

I have a really nice 89 right now with AOD, but the allure of a 5-speed with low miles close to me is very strong!:D

As someone who deals with these every day I see two things that stand out...1] the car sat at the dealer for two years when it was new?? that is odd...2] now from 2000 to 2015 it did another sitting somewhere... These are both odd and be careful with that... How many miles are on it now?? it better be close to what it was in 2015 or I smell a roll back or something.... Just my .02 worth and again I deal with auto checks every day in my other job....Rich

Some good observances/ points. I wonder if the two years on the dealer lot, whether it was someone that worked at the dealership that had used it as their transportation for that period of time. Edit: but 882 miles doesn't seem to be in line with that. Perhaps it was a showroom only car?

Showroom...shows....golf tournaments - who knows...back then it was expensive, with less costly competition on the lot, so no telling why it hung around.

Ah - a 'roll forward'...interesting ;) As long as it came with a basic warranty good to 53,600 miles, no problem.

Back