PDA

View Full Version : 94 SC Clutch replacement questions

Brad94SC
08-20-2015, 03:12 PM
hi SCCOA, very long time!

I am hoping to get some questions answered about replacing the clutch in my '94.
a little back story... the car hasn't moved in almost 6 years due to a whole bunch or reasons - back in 2009 i drove it home and the clutch pedal had no resistance and i found a puddle of fluid on the ground so i suspected the slave cylinder gave out. Since then the car has sat in my garage begging to be fixed which until now I was unable to do thanks to time,money and a recent health issue

so I have been out of the SC game for a while. Now I am going to tackle the job myself and I have a few questions.

first off how likely is it that the clutch itself will have to be replaced? I have a Centerforce series II in there that has relatively low kms on it and I would hate to have to throw it out if i dont have to (and save some money in the process)

if i do need to replace the clutch all I can seem to find is 11" kits and my car has an 11-1/2" disc - is there a problem with going to a smaller clutch and using the existing flywheel?

anything else you would recommend replacing while its all apart? seals etc?

thanks in advance!

Mike Puckett
08-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Actually, the flywheels are virtually identical. The bolt pattern for the pressure plate is the same. Either clutch and pressure plate will fit. Even though the 94 clutch is 11 1/2" the smaller disc fits fine when you use the appropriate pressure plate. The smaller disc has more material towards the center of the disc. It's like they moved the lining out further toward the outer edge of the disc for the 94. I've used both flywheels before but now I have a Spec aluminum flywheel.

XB-70
08-22-2015, 09:41 PM
hi SCCOA, very long time!

I am hoping to get some questions answered about replacing the clutch in my '94.
a little back story... the car hasn't moved in almost 6 years due to a whole bunch or reasons - back in 2009 i drove it home and the clutch pedal had no resistance and i found a puddle of fluid on the ground so i suspected the slave cylinder gave out. Since then the car has sat in my garage begging to be fixed which until now I was unable to do thanks to time,money and a recent health issue

so I have been out of the SC game for a while. Now I am going to tackle the job myself and I have a few questions.

first off how likely is it that the clutch itself will have to be replaced? I have a Centerforce series II in there that has relatively low kms on it and I would hate to have to throw it out if i dont have to (and save some money in the process)

if i do need to replace the clutch all I can seem to find is 11" kits and my car has an 11-1/2" disc - is there a problem with going to a smaller clutch and using the existing flywheel?

anything else you would recommend replacing while its all apart? seals etc?

thanks in advance!

Recently did this work. TIme consuming but not difficult. Best to be able to put the car on a lift. While I have the transmission out I replaced both motor mounts with easier access.

The only thing that gave me fits was getting the clutch fluid line to hook up again to the slave cylinder, after trying to the be easy on it, I had the get the blade of a scredriver to tap in and get the circle clip to grab it. Swapping the Slave Cylinder is very easy and I used a Bendix one. Works great now. The clutch was fine so I did not remove or replace it.

Glenn

Mike Puckett
08-23-2015, 12:52 PM
The lift will really make a difference for me. I'm really glad I got it. I always pop open the bleeder fitting and the hydraulic line plugs right in.