70mm or 75mm Throttle body..?

FrankenBird

THE only mods i plan on doing to my car are simple ones. i sofar only have a coldair intake..But plans are full exhaust, upgrade ignition, and thats about it. But my 1st upgrade i wanna get a throttlebody but dont wanna go to big so that it hurts me. should i go with 70 or 75? people told me when i had my stock 4.6 cougar that 75mm was gonna be overkill and id lose low end power, I NEVER DID only had gains all across the powerband but are the sc's the same way? should i go 75mm rite off that bat and have the other mods im going to do help out.?

any input guys? I don't wanna waste the cash on a 70mm when a 75mm would be better?
plans are only exhaust,coil,10.2mm wires and the throttlebody..

any input guys? I don't wanna waste the cash on a 70mm when a 75mm would be better?
plans are only exhaust,coil,10.2mm wires and the throttlebody..

75MM The bigger the intake system the less restriction for the blower to draw air in. That why all the big dogs keep going bigger and bigger

Ken

that's what I wanted to hear...
any 75mm's up for sale for cheap? I got cash and will buy it the day you PM me.also is it true a 94-95 mustang 5.0 Throttlebody works on the 94-95 sc's? a buddy of mine swore he had a 70mm sc throttlebody on his mustang,said he got it listed as that and the linkage and all was all the same..........
I got a few extra bucks and wanna get the sc atleast as fast as ur everyday new sedan,lol

the deal with the TB is our stock inlet plenum bottle necks somewhere around 68mm so the 70mm made sense. If you feel up to it you can hack up the plenum and weld in some pieces that make sense and then the 75mm makes more sense...or finding a MP plenum. The Professional Products 75 TB is pretty cheap but many members complain of leaks. I have one with no probs but they're are many complaints. The 70 BBK is from all accounts a superior product.

well, i called and talked with some guy at supercoupeperformance and i ordered the 75mm throttlebody since its on sale and word around is they are a good company. so i gave them a shot. and i guess i don't need to port the stock inlet because the TBody blade is set in it not at the end :D . i hope i get as good results as i did when i put a 75mm setup on my 4.6 cougar and birds..

well, i called and talked with some guy at supercoupeperformance and i ordered the 75mm throttlebody since its on sale and word around is they are a good company. so i gave them a shot. and i guess i don't need to port the stock inlet because the TBody blade is set in it not at the end :D . i hope i get as good results as i did when i put a 75mm setup on my 4.6 cougar and birds..

What MAF do you have? The TB should match that as well. Also a cone filter will give less restricition

Ken

I have just a stock mafs but it is a 94 so I think its a 70mm??? I don't know what size mafs I can run without a tune..i tried an 80mm and it had NO low end what so ever..and befor I do a larger mafs I wanna upgrade my wires to 10.2's and new plugs and then if I have enough a accel or screamin demon coil..

I have just a stock mafs but it is a 94 so I think its a 70mm??? I don't know what size mafs I can run without a tune..i tried an 80mm and it had NO low end what so ever..and befor I do a larger mafs I wanna upgrade my wires to 10.2's and new plugs and then if I have enough a accel or screamin demon coil..[/QUOTE

You gain nothing changing out the coil pack I have been running over 400 rwhp for years on a stock coil. The stock MAF is not a straight through design and is another restriction on the intake side. A 76 MAF with correct air tube for your injector size is a nice upgrade. At some point you will need a chip to dial in a tune. That will get you a Big Bang for the buck. Good wires are alway a good bet

Ken

thnx Ken, not having to buy a coil will save me 100$ ! sooo YOU saved me 100$ thanks again.
and I know I ask a lot but, are there any after market intakes that are plastic or rubber? I refuse to buy aluminum ones because they heat soak soooooo bad. my homemade cai that I used a blazer 4.3 intake tube off my mafs to route into my bumper and homemade heatshield works wonders but im getting that 75mm Tbody so I want atleast my intake tube to match...

I guess after all my looking only airaid sells a plastic 3in intake pipe kit buts its 110$ and a bunch of universal pipes and joints. im just going to get some 3in pvc pipe and built it, ive done it befor ! I even tap in a spout for the little hose and all..im also going to try and match the paint the best I can to the stock sc grey..this is my stock intake with the blazer 4.3 intake used to route into the bumper and my home made heat shield..
my next purchase will be a 75mm mafs housing unit when and if I can find one for cheap, I seen on craigslist by me someguys has a 75mm with 42lb injects with it for CHEAP but no use in stepping up my injector size..but if it wont hurt maby I should just get it and them.
also im going to have to port the sc plenum but what is it made of? so I can get the rite porting bits.

Last edited:
I guess after all my looking only airaid sells a plastic 3in intake pipe kit buts its 110$ and a bunch of universal pipes and joints. im just going to get some 3in pvc pipe and built it, ive done it befor ! I even tap in a spout for the little hose and all..im also going to try and match the paint the best I can to the stock sc grey..this is my stock intake with the blazer 4.3 intake used to route into the bumper and my home made heat shield..
my next purchase will be a 75mm mafs housing unit when and if I can find one for cheap, I seen on craigslist by me someguys has a 75mm with 42lb injects with it for CHEAP but no use in stepping up my injector size..but if it wont hurt maby I should just get it and them.
also im going to have to port the sc plenum but what is it made of? so I can get the rite porting bits.

Fresh air tube getting heat soaked isn't a problem that I've heard much about. Most want metal due to it transmit the sound of the whine of the blower. The thinner the metal the better. The plenum is cast alum.

Ken

42lb injectors are great upgrade. The 76 MAF would require a diffrent sample tube to match what ever injector size you go with. The more you change the more you need a quarter horse to tune it

Ken

the mafs does have the proper tube for the 42's... so maby ille get that and do the Tbody,pleum porting,intake and the mafs&injectors..but im pretty shur ille have a cel on and that im trying to avoid as I wont have money for a tune for awhile.
buuuut then I could sell my current injectors and mafs housing unit I have, good for the old style sc guys or offer the housing unit and injectors to who ever puts the injectors in for me.thats new turf for me on the sc's,id rather learn by eye than by guessing hands.

Last edited:
75mm ON AND LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to drill off the heads of the screws for the tps of course like every other ford ive had to remove one from, UGH....
then it didn't go on the studs on the plenum so I had to remove those and reefed them in once the Tbody was lined up..
the stock intake tube fit fine and my stock plenum has MABY 3mm of over hand behind the throttlebody on the left side to be ported off, id have figured a lot more..
now comes my mafs and injectors! I know I don't need the injectors yet but im pretty much getting them for free with the mafs so might as well use them since its tube is for them..

Bill Evanhoff is hardly 'some guy'. I find him to be very helpful, and if you look into his history - he has a real SC pedigree going back to Ford.

Bill Evanhoff is hardly 'some guy'. I find him to be very helpful, and if you look into his history - he has a real SC pedigree going back to Ford.

Agreed....though you had spelled Bill's last name wrong--it is Evanoff. :D

Back