Anyone ever done this with exhaust?

MtDewd

I'm talking to my exhaust guy about putting 2.5 - 3 - 2.5 exhaust on to replace the stock system. The car has high flow cats and larger downpipes. We came up with this idea:

Take out the resonator and replace it with a long double in single out flowmaster, remove stock mufflers and just run pipe out the back. If it ends up being too loud we could put some glass packs at the end to help quiet it down.

Thoughts: Mustangs get that really thoaty sound because their mufflers are in front of the axle and they have more pipe running out the rear. Our cars have the mufflers right at the end.

Any thoughts on how this might sound or affect flow?

I have the same setup but a Magnaflow resonator as opposed to the Flowmaster muffler.

Let me tell you, it's loud. I think a muffler in place of the resonator will be quieter so I might try that.

Not sure who you are asking but for me it flows the same as Dual 2.5" into single 3" back into dual 2.5". accual numbers I do not know. But the sound is awesome.

If you are gonna do it without mufflers on the back, you need a very large resonator. A flowmaster won't fit very well, but a Magnaflow 24" long 5x8 will get it quiet enough to stand. The result sounds pretty good.

Will the flowmaster not fit at all or just hang down a little? Will the flowmaster be quieter than a resonator? Any other muffler suggestions?

I had planned on starting my own thread, but since this one is here I will build on it (sorry for hyjacking yours).

My 1st question may sound stupid, but keep in mind I have never had my head under a stock SC so I just don't know - does the STOCK SC exaust go - headers to cats into a Y pipe or similar type single in, dual out resonator, and then out to seperate mufflers and tail pipes?

The reason I am asking is I am trying to figure out the best exhaust setup on the truck (yes truck - read my sig) to gain some high end HP and also keep the flow open enough to run a 10% pulley.

I plan on running stock 3.8 mustang tubular headers (already have um - got um cheap on ebay) into 2.5" down pipes, to 2.5" hi flow cats and into either 2.5" or 3" magnaflow mufflers. This would mean having a true dual exhaust. Also, I had planned on adding an H pipe to balance out the system. Does this sound open enough to run a 10%

Thanks for any and all input. Steve

Flowmasters fit perfectly. I have a flowmaster 50 Servies SUV/Performance muffler in place of the res, and i have no clearance issues. i also have glasspacks on the back (thinking of taking those off)

I like the sound of flowmasters but I'm told that a magnaflow will flow better and be quieter. Magnaflows are straight through with insulation where as a flowmaster is an open steel casing that's moving the exhaust aound and creating more back pressure.

Any thoughts?

I agree the magnaflow as the straight through design, which probably flows better. but the design of the flowmaster and other mufflers with baffles and bridges inside can actually flow better than straight through designs by smoothing the airflow through the muffler. Im not sure on how it works, but i know that the flowmaster produces more torque than my straight y pipe did. I did the entire exhuast from down pipes to tail pipe with high flow goodies so its hard for me to judge

Do you think the magnaflow is quieter than the flowmaster?

This is my daily driver and I want good sound with the best flow but I don't want to start this baby up in the mornings and be pissing off the neighbors.

to be fair, i havent heard the magnaflow, but the 50 serices delta is much quieter than say a 40 series which has the real rumbling sound. I can say that with my setup, initally it was very quiet, almost too quiet i didnt like it. If you have stock down tubes and stock cats it will be quiet. Adding better down tubes and high flow cats, increase the flow of exhuast gases and will increase the sound. But even with my setup its aggresive but not blatty or too loud.

Thanks for your reply! Just a reminder, I'm running this setup with just the flowmaster or magnaflow in place of the resonator with now mufflers on the back. That's why I'm concerned about the noise level.

OH okay. Well definitely wait and here from someone with a maganflow, and make ur decision then. the problem is perception. whats loud to someone else maybe not so loud to you. i know with my exhaust i changed setups a few times before finally settling on how it sounded.

I was just talking to my friend who owns an exhaust shop the other day and he said the magnaflows are quieter but flow better. I personally have heard a few magnaflows and they are still semi loud and sound good. BUT sound also depends on pipe size and whether you have a cat or not. For example, before I put the SC motor in the truck I had a 4 banger w/ no cat and 2.5" pipe into a 40 series 2 chamber flowmaster. The thing was LOUD and would set car alarms off all the time. Once I put the SC motor in I had the same muffler and exhaust pipe but w/ the stock cats and 2' piping from them into a Y pipe then into the muffler - MUCH quieter, even w/ the bigger motor. I want some of the roar back.

Oh - and can anybody answer the ? on the stock setup... Thanks. Steve

Back