cup holder question

petke

I have found a cup holder in my "spare car". I have a junk SC for parts with many interior panels and parts stripped and thrown in it. There was a cup holder laying around, and I cant figure where it should be located in my working SC. Please see the picture. Does it come from a thunderbird, or is it some lost cupholder from something else, that found its way to my junk SC?

Please give me some idea.

CAM00104.jpgCAM00105.jpg

Don't think it was SC - it sort of looks like the one that sits under the console lid on late model Sc/MN-12s? But that one is hinged, I think.

I found a way to use the early slide-out style on my '90 SC, tho...

Attachments

• DSCN5129 (1).jpg
    DSCN5129 (1).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
This made me remember--'ya know, Ford thinking the Thunderbird is a luxury car and all......they didn't think that a cup holder was a necessary thing? They thought of an automatically adjusting rearview mirror....yet no cup holder. :confused:

This made me remember--'ya know, Ford thinking the Thunderbird is a luxury car and all

They were after 'sporty' BMW, weren't they? Maybe they thought the driver would be too busy bustin' moves out on the open road :)

I gave up trying to find a decent cup holder for mine. Gave the job to the passenger, instead.

that looks like a cupholder that comes in the 96-97 mn12's..my 97 cougar sport had that so when you were doing a slow to 60 you dont spill a big gulp...
from what i read the mn12's were sapose to compete with the bmw 8 series but be more affordable. they were cut due to costs being only 1-2000 more than expected..look how similar the shape is such as in the passengers rear window and front drivers window as well as the shape from the middle of the doors on up.. think ford coppied somebody?
http://www.ruelspot.com/bmw/bmw-8-series-e31-sports-cars-for-sale/

that looks like a cupholder that comes in the 96-97 mn12's..my 97 cougar sport had that so when you were doing a slow to 60 you dont spill a big gulp...

A '97 MN12 would have had the cupholders directly aft of the shifter as shown below.

The '94-96 MN12's had the cupholders inside the console.
95cupholder.jpg

hmmm

Don't think it was SC - it sort of looks like the one that sits under the console lid on late model Sc/MN-12s? But that one is hinged, I think.

I found a way to use the early slide-out style on my '90 SC, tho...

This one looks like its suposed to be hinged. In the second picture right where my finger is there is one of the screwholes, which looks like its where the hinge is connected. The other end is more visible, there is a spongy pad. The screw pattern is different to the 1989 SC middle console I have.

No one has ever seen anything like this?

That cup holder in the storage bin screams "please break my hinges and latch!" lol... such a bad design.

They were after 'sporty' BMW, weren't they? Maybe they thought the driver would be too busy bustin' moves out on the open road :)

I gave up trying to find a decent cup holder for mine. Gave the job to the passenger, instead.

Muahaaahaa. I use my middle junk holder, erm....accessory holder to put a Slurpee in, or whatever. That is, when I take the cassette holder outta there.

from what i read the mn12's were sapose to compete with the bmw 8 series but be more affordable. they were cut due to costs being only 1-2000 more than expected..look how similar the shape is such as in the passengers rear window and front drivers window as well as the shape from the middle of the doors on up.. think ford coppied somebody?
http://www.ruelspot.com/bmw/bmw-8-series-e31-sports-cars-for-sale/

Correct, in that Ford was trying to compete with BMW. There was an article on the 'net that I read that had the title of something like "BMW Mentality with a Mustang Reality", meaning that the conundrum was that they were trying to build something that was upper class/ world class, but affordable. Ford has always sought out to put as many people in their cars, as possible, but the problem becomes that it also starts to lose a certain prestige or cache, if too many people have it. Cadillac, for example, seriously harmed their marque/ quality control in the 80's, with the HT4100 engine, and other things like the Cimarron.

Back